Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Roadshow for 68K -Needs your support!  (Read 64865 times)

Description:

Offline ChaosLord

• Show only replies by ChaosLord
    • http://totalchaoseng.dbv.pl/news.php
Re: Roadshow for 68K -Needs your support!
« Reply #374 from previous page: December 12, 2012, 08:47:00 PM »
Some of us coderz get writer's block when asked to code a GUI.  It happens to me a lot.  My brain wave patterns have to be in the right shape to do it.

Anyway, someone else who is good at GUI writing can whip one out anytime they like.
Wanna try a wonderfull strategy game with lots of handdrawn anims,
Magic Spells and Monsters, Incredible playability and lastability,
English speech, etc. Total Chaos AGA

Offline Bamiga2002

• Show only replies by Bamiga2002
    • http://rutinskiband.net
« Reply #375 on: December 12, 2012, 09:08:48 PM »
The GUI comment was in no way meant as "must have". It was just my comment on the thing nothing more. GUI isn't a necessity here since there's gonna be so many default configs included.
CD32
A500

Offline olsen

« Reply #376 on: December 13, 2012, 08:33:45 AM »
Quote from: wawrzon;718783
so whats so difficult about it if it is so easy? i really dont get it..

I did not claim it was easy, just that it was doable, and in my opinion not too challenging (I know a thing or two about user interface design, and implemented a good number by myself).

jason mcmullan when he introduced prnter support for aros wrote quickly a gui for it, without any experience with mui/zune before. arostcp has a working prefs gui, i can set xsurf device on my a4k and it works.. so why an oldskool amiga developer cant write a simple prefs gui?

First thing, it is not a simple GUI.

The TCP/IP stack uses a number of flat file databases, so to speak, e.g. for services, servers, name resolution, routes, hosts and a bit more. The GUI would have to provide for a "database management" front-end for all of these. In total, I think it comes down to writing 10 editors, one for each flat file database.

On top of that you also need to manage the network interfaces. Configuring these is the most complex task that needs to be done, on account of having to pick the right driver, and the proper settings. Roadshow stores network interface configuration files in two separate drawers (one set is activated at system startup time, the other can be activated manually). So that complicates matters further. Add to that the number of network interface options that may be required and you have got quite the package.

If you have all that, then you already have your basic network prefs GUI. But that's not enough, because it still requires special knowledge to set up the network. This is why you also need a simplified setup tool (often called a "wizard", which is the term Microsoft used for this tool). That tool has to be designed to be smart enough to make decisions on what should constitute a robust default setup, while still giving the user enough flexibility to make his own choices (within reason). That tool also has to validate the choices made by the user so that they make sense.

Let's say you have all of this, then you still need to add functionality which performs consistency checks on the data the user entered, both in the prefs editor and the wizard, to avoid common mistakes. For example, you should make sure that you have a default gateway, at least one DNS server, and one interface set up. Either that, or the interface at least ought to be using DHCP. If not, you ought to verify that the network interface's IPv4 address is in the same subnet as the default gateway, or things will get ugly. Some may call this gold-plating, but I call it necessary.

Still with me? Back in 2006 you still needed PPP or PPPoE support in the network drivers for the TCP/IP stack, for modem/ADSL dial-up networking. In addition to the prefs editor and the wizard, Roadshow needed another set of setup tools just for the PPP/PPPoE feature (or integrate it into the regular prefs editor/wizard). So this kind of tool also needed to be written. I doubt it's still necessary today, now that everybody has a gateway router at home to which you can hook up your Amiga via Ethernet.

I don't know how AROS solved the same problems I had to take care of. Writing a decent GUI for the networking infrastructure of an operating system is really hard, as anyone could attest who's seen what even Microsoft and Apple offer (Ubuntu, etc. also have a hard time). It's a lot of work, even if the results have plenty of rough edges. Much of what the network configuration constitutes does not make great sense on first sight, and unlike with other prefs editors, there is no common thread which lends itself to building a GUI that tells something of a story and shows the user cause, effect and consequences of the dials & switches he can play with.

maybe the problem is delegating it to others who actually dont get it done.

A general's only as good as his lieutenants and troops allow him to be...

maybe doing it self is the fastest and most secure of choices. i for my part would expect a tcp stack for twenty bucks to come with a gui even if basic one. im not bashing here, its just my opinion.

I share that opinion, but I just didn't have the time to do it myself, otherwise I would have done so. I already spent plenty of time figuring out how the GUI should work, and how the configuration files should look like so that the GUI could use them more easily. The overall design of Roadshow was strongly influenced by the needs of the GUI that never materialized.

Back in 2003 I was rewriting the Amiga FFS from scratch for OS4, I was heavily involved in OS4 development, I had my own company to take care of, and I was working on my CS degree. There was a lot on my plate, and something had to give. In the end, more gave than I expected it to, and I'm still dealing with the after-effects.

I suffered for my art, now it's your turn ;)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 08:42:48 AM by olsen »

Offline Damion

« Reply #377 on: December 13, 2012, 10:10:27 AM »
Quote from: wawrzon;718783
so whats so difficult about it if it is so easy? i really dont get it..

jason mcmullan when he introduced prnter support for aros wrote quickly a gui for it, without any experience with mui/zune before. arostcp has a working prefs gui, i can set xsurf device on my a4k and it works.. so why an oldskool amiga developer cant write a simple prefs gui? maybe the problem is delegating it to others who actually dont get it done. maybe doing it self is the fastest and most secure of choices. i for my part would expect a tcp stack for twenty bucks to come with a gui even if basic one. im not bashing here, its just my opinion.

Absolute worst case scenario, you have to edit a text file and change a couple variables. Should be a cakewalk for anyone still tinkering with 68k Amigas.

20 bucks (if that is indeed the final cost) yields 1789 kB/s here to my A4000 with a DENEB and USB stick, you certainly won't get that kind of performance with Miami or AmiTCP.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #378 on: December 13, 2012, 12:21:12 PM »
Quote from: Damion;718855
Absolute worst case scenario, you have to edit a text file and change a couple variables. Should be a cakewalk for anyone still tinkering with 68k Amigas.

20 bucks (if that is indeed the final cost) yields 1789 kB/s here to my A4000 with a DENEB and USB stick, you certainly won't get that kind of performance with Miami or AmiTCP.

setting up tcp stack may be a major trouble for some including me, unregarded system, gui or no gui. i tend to think that editinf text files isnt the easiest way.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #379 on: December 13, 2012, 12:24:47 PM »
Quote from: olsen;718851

I don't know how AROS solved the same problems

sources are open. i dont say its the perfect solution, but it has worked for me out of the box, perhaps because i use router, and do not need in depth settings;)

Offline Lozspd4

• Show only replies by Lozspd4
« Reply #380 on: December 13, 2012, 02:22:56 PM »
Hello Rolf
I gave the Demo Version a go today,i use a mediator 4000di, did what you informed us Setting it up Mediator file.in Network Interfaces etc. and wow worked straight away. quickly tested it, due to the 15min Demo
restriction.

Copied a file from my home Server using first Miami and then Roadshow and can confirm ist about 100cps/sec quicker showing 270 cps/sec thats fast.

Manythanks for your effort all i have to do know is wait for january2013 so i can buy it.

Regards Laurence.

Offline LoadWB

• Show only replies by LoadWB
« Reply #381 on: December 13, 2012, 03:12:22 PM »
Quote from: olsen;718851
I suffered for my art, now it's your turn ;)

I feel ya. :drink:

There are plenty of times I have to deal with my own customers telling me how "all that has to be done is x."  *sigh*  None the less, with MUI and MUIRexx, just about anyone here who knows all that needs to be done could throw together a simple GUI.

Anyone want to be the hero?  Just sayin'. ;)

Offline omgas

• Show only replies by omgas
« Reply #382 on: December 13, 2012, 07:30:25 PM »
Quote from: olsen;718390
Honestly, we haven't quite decided yet. Given the price range discussed in this very thread, my best guess is that the price will be in the 20-25€ range for the digital download (yes, I am aware of the irony of downloading a TCP/IP stack from the Internet), plus some extra money should you prefer a CD-R (with the installation software and the SDK on it) mailed to your home (no idea how that much would cost, though).

I find 20-25 euros, digital download and covering two running systems, I find that very reasonable. I had no problems editing just 3 txt files for getting online with a static lan setup. Anyone seriously complaining about having to use a txt editor, he/she is just plain lazy. Looking forward to buy the commercial time-unrestricted release. Best regards to you and late Felix, omgas.

Offline olsen

« Reply #383 on: December 17, 2012, 06:24:09 PM »
Quote from: lumby;718776
Yeah!!!
Have just install it with my X-Surf.device
And it works great ;-)
Can't wait to get a copy.
Keep up the great work.

Just in case: I just added a couple more ready-made network interface configurations to the demo version (3c589, AmigaNet, MediatorFast, MediatorNET, Norway, Poseidon-Asix, Poseidon-Davicom, Poseidon-MosChip, Poseidon-Pegasus and X-Surf). The new demo version (should be available for download right now) also includes an updated documentation, which corrects typos and one error.

The old demo version's installer script had a bug (now corrected) which may require manual fixes if you already have the old demo version installed. The demo version adds a few lines to the S:User-Startup file. One of these lines has a letter missing, which makes all the difference regarding whether or not the network will be activated after a reboot.

That line reads "IF EXIST S:Network-Startup" and should read "IF EXISTS S:Network-Startup" (note the letter 'S' added to 'EXIST').

Offline mechyTopic starter

« Reply #384 on: January 03, 2013, 05:03:27 PM »
Quote from: mechy;575857
Hello all,
   For a few weeks i have been talking with Olaf Barthel about releasing roadshow 68K for the amiga. He seems all for the idea for the most part but would like it if he could sell it for a reasonable price and if anyone would buy it. It would be the only current tcp/ip stack that can be registered/bought etc! His stack is quite a bit faster than both miami and amitcp as it stands,and he said it would be possible to use on 68000 (ala A600 with limited resources).Olaf expressed concern that there were no docs or mui front end currently,but i assured him someone would probabaly step up to make a gui.I think most amigans can get by with limited install docs and such.

If you want to see this happen,please reply to this thread expressing your interest so i have something to show him!

Obviously if people pirate it right off the bat and spread it and he gets no sales,he will be quite disgusted,so lets show some support by buying it,pay for the thing if it happens ok!

I suggested to him he offer it via a web download you can pay with paypal and maybe on CD for those who are want something they can touch :)

So come on everyone,lets get behind this,its not everyday the amiga might see a new,faster tcp/ip stack!

Mike

Hooray! looks like roadshow finally has come to life.

For those of you that didnt see it in the announcements:

http://roadshow.apc-tcp.de/

Offline Jope

« Reply #385 on: January 03, 2013, 05:16:54 PM »
Quote from: mechy;721136
Hooray! looks like roadshow finally has come to life.

Yay! Purchased. :-)

Offline aggro_mix

• Show only replies by aggro_mix
« Reply #386 on: January 04, 2013, 01:06:38 PM »
Made my purchase yesterday!!

Offline Dragster

• Show only replies by Dragster
« Reply #387 on: January 04, 2013, 05:00:25 PM »
Hey Olsen, thanks for your effort on making this a reality.. I'm very interested to run it on my MorphOS machines.. eventhough the documentation states that it should work under MorphOS, it doesn't... I've done several tests on my Pegasos II with MorphOS 3.1 with no success as of yet (though made it work right out of the box in my A1200D with pcmcia wifi nic)... is there any chance you could take a look to find out why it doesn't work in MorphOS?

Cheers,

Dragster
Amiga 1200T 603/240, 060/50, SCSI II, Plextor 40/12/40S SCSI CDRW, Plextor 40X SCSI CDROM, Fujitsu 36GB 10KRPM SCSI HD, Pioneer 305S SCSI DVD, BVisionPPC, 256 MB FASTRAM, PowerFlyer EIDE, Scandex external scandoubler, ZIV busboard, Algor USB, Wireless, repulse audio...Peg II Quadruple boot: OS4.1FE/MorphOS 3.9 regged, OpenSUSE11.1 & Debian Squeeze, Powerbook G4 1139 MorphOS3.9, A4000D CSPPC/PIV/DENEB OS3.9/4.1FE, A4000T CSPPC/CVPPC/SCSI, etc.. 2

Offline billt

• Show only replies by billt
    • http://www.billtoner.net
« Reply #388 on: January 04, 2013, 05:08:48 PM »
I plan to buy a copy after my next paycheck!
Bill T
All Glory to the Hypnotoad!

Offline olsen

« Reply #389 on: January 05, 2013, 09:38:26 AM »
Quote from: Dragster;721236
Hey Olsen, thanks for your effort on making this a reality.. I'm very interested to run it on my MorphOS machines.. eventhough the documentation states that it should work under MorphOS, it doesn't... I've done several tests on my Pegasos II with MorphOS 3.1 with no success as of yet (though made it work right out of the box in my A1200D with pcmcia wifi nic)... is there any chance you could take a look to find out why it doesn't work in MorphOS?

First off, I never tested this with MorphOS myself (for lack of hardware; I spent a lot of time testing Roadshow with the low end A1200/A600 configurations). From all I know about MorphOS, there should be no obvious reason why Roadshow should fail to work with it.

Save for the arguably intrusive use of DEVS:Internet, DEVS:NetInterfaces and SYS:Storage/NetInterfaces the software is written to work with the baseline Kickstart/Workbench 2.04 system configuration, and the SANA-IIR3 (R3 = R2 plus multicast operations) network driver standard. As far as I know MorphOS backwards compatibility extends across these operating system features: if Miami or the 68k AmiTCP Genesis work, so should Roadshow.

Getting to the bottom of this issue might prove difficult since I don't have a MorphOS machine handy which I could check the specific problems with. Any help would be appreciated, although that help might end up taking up a lot of time (just so you know how tough chasing a bug can be).