Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: IndivisionECS will have dual video output!  (Read 19979 times)

Description:

Offline polardark

• Show only replies by polardark
Re: IndivisionECS will have dual video output!
« Reply #89 on: August 28, 2009, 06:10:35 PM »
I'm thinking of getting two for my a600 as well. The only difficulty is figuring out how to mount the connectors in a sane way with that little box. Another thing i need to do is figure out how to modify the a600 to think that DF1: is actually DF0:.

Since the Indivision ECS emulates the DENISE chip. Does that mean that there's enough potential for AGA emulation? The chip ram bus is going to be too slow for it but on the other hand, there's that lightning fast onboard ram. It wouldn't be much use on an a600 but on an expanded a3000 it could get interesting.

Offline Pyromania

• Sent from my Quantum Computer
    • Show only replies by Pyromania
    • http://www.discreetfx.com
« Reply #90 on: August 28, 2009, 06:30:34 PM »
Quote from: JJ;521244
OMG ffs. Its too expensive. booo fooking hoo.

Simple Don't buy it. I doubt anyone actually cares that some of you wanted to buy loads of them.

I want an Audi R8, but I can't afford £76k  ($150K) , if they sold them for £100 they would sell more. I want one for £100 its not fair booo hoo.

+2

Offline Schoenfeld

• Show only replies by Schoenfeld
    • http://icomp.de
« Reply #91 on: August 28, 2009, 06:46:51 PM »
Quote from: polardark;521326
Another thing i need to do is figure out how to modify the a600 to think that DF1: is actually DF0:.

Simple thing: Swap the Sel0 and Sel1 lines, pure wiring, no (additional) electronics required.

Since the Indivision ECS emulates the DENISE chip.

It doesn't emulate. It *contains* a Denise.

Does that mean that there's enough potential for AGA emulation?

No. AGA performance is mainly made by Alice in place of the old Agnus. Lisa ist just a blown-up Denise with little to no novelties, just a little brute force to get 24 bit colours in there. You won't have AGA without the Alice/Budgie combination.

Jens

Offline rebb

• Show only replies by rebb
    • http://www.trsi.de
« Reply #92 on: August 28, 2009, 07:09:35 PM »
Sadly Compact flash card from my cf-ide68k is going over Denise chip. So thinking about building adapter to "move" Denise socket elsewhere, any ideas where to get connectors for flatcable? (Like ones they used in kickstart switchers). Otherwise, this is brilliant idea! Looking forward to code some demo routines for dual screen setup.
Amiga 1200, OS 3.9, 68030, scandoubler

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #93 on: August 28, 2009, 07:24:43 PM »
Quote from: rebb;521334
Sadly Compact flash card from my cf-ide68k is going over Denise chip. So thinking about building adapter to "move" Denise socket elsewhere, any ideas where to get connectors for flatcable? (Like ones they used in kickstart switchers). Otherwise, this is brilliant idea! Looking forward to code some demo routines for dual screen setup.

That would also solve having to remove the floppy drive.  I wonder if there is any reason the Indivision would NOT work if the Denise socket was relocated with a ribbon cable and adapter?  Jens, have you considered this?
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline Akiko

• Show only replies by Akiko
« Reply #94 on: August 28, 2009, 07:28:45 PM »
Is there a tutorial on how to convert the A600 to DF1?

Offline Schoenfeld

• Show only replies by Schoenfeld
    • http://icomp.de
« Reply #95 on: August 31, 2009, 01:07:41 PM »
Just some more teasing that shows the true power of a full Denise in the flickerfixer:

Even if you don't have an ECS Denise, you can use ECS screenmodes with Indivision ECS - it only requires a 1M Chipmem Agnus or higher.

Starting 1990, Commodore delivered computers with what we call "half-ECS" chipsets. This means that the computer already had an ECS Agnus (1M type, switchable between PAL and NTSC), but only an OCS Denise. If you install Indivision ECS in such a system, you can use the ECS modes anyway, such as S-Hires.

The second picture shows that the OCS Denise doesn't display such a mode correctly: It's interpreting the DMA data as a low-res screen and you only see broken graphics.

We're currently testing this in an A500 that has a 2M Chipmem expansion. No software installation is required. It works right out of the box, the computer will identify an ECS Denise, for example if you check SysInfo.

Jens
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 01:09:58 PM by Schoenfeld »

Offline Piru

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show only replies by Piru
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
« Reply #96 on: August 31, 2009, 01:36:58 PM »
Quote from: lou_dias;521318
Common sense?

Yes the common sense found in many projects such as MiniMig and IndivisionECS, and horribly lacking in anything related to NatAmi.

Offline AJCopland

« Reply #97 on: August 31, 2009, 01:40:40 PM »
Quote from: Piru;521580
Yes the common sense found in many projects such as MiniMig and IndivisionECS, and horribly lacking in anything related to NatAmi.

Common sense... its a precious commodity :P
Be Positive towards the Amiga community!

Offline redrumloaTopic starter

• Original Omega User
    • Show only replies by redrumloa
« Reply #98 on: August 31, 2009, 02:36:52 PM »
Quote from: quarkx;521197
Lets just say Jens is making a very good profit and AmigaKit is making a good profit. I wouldn't be suprised at all if the cost has been doubled and doubled again at retail.

No way in hell are retailers like AmigaKit (and Red's Retro) are doubling price. I'm sorry, but that is a terribly naive remark.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 03:25:41 PM by redrumloa »
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #99 on: August 31, 2009, 03:52:29 PM »
Quote from: Piru;521580

well, 3d hw for amiga-like system might not be much of common sence, but a fast 68k compatible softcore would be very much what a lot of people here surely thirst for. so if chances are that it actually could emerge, what is there to say against it?

Offline AmigaHeretic

• Show only replies by AmigaHeretic
« Reply #100 on: August 31, 2009, 05:51:04 PM »
Quote from: terminator4;521230
amigadave,
I respect your opinion.  Just it seems that you can make it new in batch of 1000 (i'm guessing at least, but why not make 2000 or 3000 so people can buy 2 or 3???) then surely you can keep costs down below some vintage piece on ebay?  anyway pricing if you are seller / manufacturer / vendor is a matter of preference.  
Lets say it costs Jens $20 to produce each board, he can still charge $90 and $10 would go to dealer (a 10% return on resale & support is quite high, margin in pc industry is much lower than that).  BTW, a true value for Amber 2320 is more like $75-100.  Thats what it used to cost 2-3-4 years ago, before Amiga went ebay.  Anyway I just thought to give suggestion, nothing more.  I will still buy 1 one those (if it was better priced id get 2 or 3).

THANK YOU for making the flicker fixer possible. (no sarcasm, seriously).

Are you insane!!  Oh, he should just make THOUSANDS of these?  Hey no problems!

Even if your imaginary figure of $20 to produce eac one you're talking about $20,000.00 to $60,000.00 investment.

$60,000.00, do you have that just sitting around?  I don't think so or you wouldn't be bitching about 1 off hardware costing $150.

I think Jens is doing this as a hobby i.e. to help out the compunity, for fun, for things like that..., maybe to make a little money on the side--maybe--, but I doubt there is anyway he will ever recoup the cost of his time--ever.

I can't believe people bitch about $150 one off hardware for a dead computer.
A3000D (16mhz, 2MB Chip, 4MB Fast, SCSI (300+MB), SuperGen Genlock, Kick 3.1)
Back in my day, we didn\'t have water. We only had Oxygen and Hydrogen, and we\'d just have to shove them together.

Offline quarkx

• Show only replies by quarkx
    • http://www.amigalounge.com
« Reply #101 on: August 31, 2009, 06:19:08 PM »
Quote from: redrumloa;521589
No way in hell are retailers like AmigaKit (and Red's Retro) are doubling price. I'm sorry, but that is a terribly naive remark.

I was just quoting economic books, I am sorry if that came across in any way offensive. It also is mentioned in "on the Edge" as the "typical" economic model.
I have Amiga stuff for sale at http://amigalounge.com. You can follow my builds there also.

Offline LoadWB

• Show only replies by LoadWB
« Reply #102 on: August 31, 2009, 06:24:24 PM »
Quote from: quarkx;521607
I was just quoting economic books, I am sorry if that came across in any way offensive. It also is mentioned in "on the Edge" as the "typical" economic model.

The modern Amiga market is far from typical.

Offline AmigaHeretic

• Show only replies by AmigaHeretic
« Reply #103 on: August 31, 2009, 06:50:39 PM »
Quote from: LoadWB;521608
The modern Amiga market is far from typical.

Exactly.  I don't think we can expect to have parts mass produced by 3rd party manufactures that are use to working in the scale of 1000s of pieces, when we have a community wide demand for, maybe, a couple hundred pieces.
A3000D (16mhz, 2MB Chip, 4MB Fast, SCSI (300+MB), SuperGen Genlock, Kick 3.1)
Back in my day, we didn\'t have water. We only had Oxygen and Hydrogen, and we\'d just have to shove them together.

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #104 from previous page: August 31, 2009, 08:57:59 PM »
Quote from: bloodline;521267
Hmmmm... Ok, but only if it has an iPhone connector :p ;)

Sorry that was a deal breaker for me :lol:
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"