Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: iPhone v. BlackBerry  (Read 6349 times)

Description:

Offline TrevTopic starter

• Zero
    • Show only replies by Trev
iPhone v. BlackBerry
« on: August 05, 2009, 07:32:57 PM »
The office just replaced my aging cell phone and pager combination with a BlackBerry 8830 World Edition. It's much restricted by our IT department (and rightly so), but apart from the useful alert filtering, it's obviously inferior to the iPhone. The keyboard is a bit easier to use, although typing non-alpha keys with one hand is impossible. The web browser is grounded firmly in the last century, and the map feature is useless unless you already know where you are, where you're going, and how to get there. Plus, the warm, friendly screen-based buttons become a lot less friendly when you realize there's no touch screen. Stupid trackball thingy. Unfortunately, our firm doesn't support the latest BlackBerry models.

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
Re: iPhone v. BlackBerry
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009, 07:47:03 PM »
Quote from: Trev;518117
The web browser is grounded firmly in the last century, and the map feature is useless unless you already know where you are, where you're going, and how to get there.

:lol:

Offline kickstart

• Show only replies by kickstart
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 09:36:36 PM »
Counting that everything is lees than iphone (i dont think so) battery life on the iphone is not good, you can se many reviews on the internet and you cant use batteries because iphones battery is not changeable (really crap).
a1200 060

Offline basman74

• Show only replies by basman74
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2009, 11:35:23 PM »
As an Iphone user, I would have to agree with kickstart on the battery life issue - my Iphone 3G can only run in standby for like about 36-48hrs absolute max before it needs a top-up. Just for comparison, my old (circa 2001) nokia 6210 gave me at least double that (or probably more) consistently for about eight years. Apparently the newer 'S' version is about 25% better in this regard..

The only other negative thing I have also noticed with my iphone - occasionally (on the order of once per week), it throws the odd' wobbly i.e. application crash or phone crashes when one attempts to make a call.

Comparing this with my old Nokia, I cannot even recall ONE event where an application hung (even on WAP browsing, which was a good exercise in frustration..).

Of course, all the above may be due to (alot) more stuff going on 'under the hood' (in the case of the iphone :) ) I will see if a firmware update (from v2.2.1 to v3) will help
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 01:20:23 PM by basman74 »

• Zero
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2009, 11:51:55 PM »
I agree that the iPhone isn't the best "phone," particularly with AT&T. I've also noticed quite a bit of keyboard latency since the 3.0 upgrade on my 3G, and I can no longer kill misbehaving (or memory hungry) but responsive applications by holding the button for 6+ seconds.

One more blast against the BlackBerry: It's designed for right-handed people. I'm left-handed, so none of the modifier and digit keys are conveniently positioned, and it's a little painful to dial. (I'm tall. I have long fingers.)

Offline Tension

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2009, 12:21:23 AM »
Quote from: kickstart;518139
Counting that everything is lees than iphone (i dont think so) battery life on the iphone is not good, you can se many reviews on the internet and you cant use batteries because iphones battery is not changeable (really crap).

Plus they explode

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/264721/exploding-ipod-owner-hit-with-apple-gagging-order.html

well... iPod... same thing...

Offline kickstart

• Show only replies by kickstart
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2009, 12:40:03 AM »
Some years ago Nokia have a problem with some pirate batteries exploding away, since these days you can identify batteries as true on the nokia website. I think apple use the cheapset batteries on the true-high-technology iphone.
a1200 060

Offline tone007

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2009, 01:57:15 AM »
If I had to choose between the two, I'd go with iPhone because Blackberry is crap.

Luckily, though, there are other choices, and I've chosen the HTC P4600 (AT&T Fuze in the US.)  640x480 resolution on a 3" screen is pretty incredible.
3 Commodore file cabinets, 2 Commodore USB turntables, 1 AmigaWorld beer mug
Alienware M14x i7 laptop running AmigaForever

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2009, 02:36:06 AM »
I've tried to like WIndows Mobile, really I have, I've loaded apps, I've tried Today enhancers Manila, Pointui, Wisbar, SBP Mobile shell, Touch shell, but they're all a bit crap because Windows Mobile is still beneath it all.  The apps are sub par, they crash the phone, I constantly run out of internal memory in spite of having 10 GB free on the SD card.  And it's slow.  

Quote from: tone007;518187
If I had to choose between the two, I'd go with iPhone because Blackberry is crap.

Luckily, though, there are other choices, and I've chosen the HTC P4600 (AT&T Fuze in the US.)  640x480 resolution on a 3" screen is pretty incredible.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline csixty4

• Show only replies by csixty4
    • http://www.csixty4.com
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2009, 02:42:07 AM »
Does your IT department allow you to install software on the Blackberry? Download Opera Mini or Bolt for a more modern experience.

For maps, get the Google Maps app for Blackberry.

Offline persia

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2009, 02:45:17 AM »
I'm on Vodaphone right now with my iPhone but looking to upgrade a 3GS and just comparing Three, Telstra and Optus with what Vodaphone gives.  It's a hard choice...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline persia

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2009, 02:46:47 AM »
I've tried to like WIndows Mobile, really I have, I've loaded apps, I've tried Today enhancers Manila, Pointui, Wisbar, SBP Mobile shell, Touch shell, but they're all a bit crap because Windows Mobile is still beneath it all.  The apps are sub par, they crash the phone, I constantly run out of internal memory in spite of having 10 GB free on the SD card.  And it's slow.  

Quote from: tone007;518187

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Zero
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2009, 02:59:08 AM »
@csixty4

No, only authorized applications. I'm in IT as well, and I suppose I could ask the relevant administrators for a few extra features, but I really just need it for email and calendar access.

@persia

If only we could easily choose new carriers in the US. Phone services here are quite a racket.

Offline slayer

• Show only replies by slayer
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2009, 04:12:41 AM »
Well, I just got my replacement new BlackBerry today its an even older model... 8310 I believe... I had the other for 16 months and the trackball would stick going upwards until one day early this week it packed a complete SAD... lol

But hey, brand new BB at not cost and updated firmware by the looks of it...

I like my BB and all I do with it is Call and txt with it... and the charge lasts more than a week...

Nothing wrong with them...
~Yes I am a Kiwi, No, I did not appear as an extra in \'Lord of the Rings\'~
1x AmigaOne X5000 2.0GHz 2gM RadeonR9280X AOS4.x
3x AmigaOne X1000 1.8GHz 2gM RadeonHD7970 AOS4.x

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2009, 07:27:51 AM »
Quote from: kickstart;518172
Some years ago Nokia have a problem with some pirate batteries exploding away, since these days you can identify batteries as true on the nokia website. I think apple use the cheapset batteries on the true-high-technology iphone.

Well, you can stop right now with the FUD! The battery life on the iPhone is it's weakest point, but it's no worse than any device that combines the functions of a Phone, iPod, Portable Games Console, Media Player and PDA...