Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Are we no longer able to +1 rep people or did the procedure change?  (Read 4168 times)

Description:

Offline koaftderTopic starter

• Show only replies by koaftder
    • http://koft.net
I like to +1 folks who provide information about how to fix amiga problems or who give useful advise but I don't see any way to do so anymore. Am I missing something?

Offline cecilia

• Amiga Snob
    • Show only replies by cecilia
    • http://cecilia.sawneybean.com/
Re: Are we no longer able to +1 rep people or did the procedure change?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 01:50:10 AM »
yeah, it's sad that a few whinners spoils things for those of us adult enough to handle something like this feature

sigh
the no CARB diet- no Cheney, Ashcroft, Rumsfeld or Bush.
IFX CD Tutorial

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 02:09:08 AM »
Quote from: cecilia;512944
yeah, it's sad that a few whinners spoils things for those of us adult enough to handle something like this feature

sigh

Dang. I didn't see any post about it. I haven't been on as much the past few days. That sucks, the rep point thing would have been a good tool for gauging sellers and help new members / sparse visitors identify who knows their stuff.

Offline adz

• Knight of the Sock
    • Show only replies by adz
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 03:56:52 AM »
I would have much preferred a poll to determine if we keep the user rating system or not, instead of just giving into the childish whinging minority :confused:

Offline stefcep2

• Show only replies by stefcep2
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 05:10:18 AM »
Quote from: koaftder;512947
Dang. I didn't see any post about it. I haven't been on as much the past few days. That sucks, the rep point thing would have been a good tool for gauging sellers and help new members / sparse visitors identify who knows their stuff.

You mean an ebay style feedback system where buyers can leave feedback about sellers but sellers can't leave feedback about buyers?

Offline Trev

• Zero
    • Show only replies by Trev
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 06:50:07 AM »
Quote from: stefcep2;512969
You mean an ebay style feedback system where buyers can leave feedback about sellers but sellers can't leave feedback about buyers?

You mean like a real world, brick and mortar retail business where the customer, i.e. the one with the money, comes first? ;-) EDIT: Only the entertainment industry is stupid enough to bad mouth its customers.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 06:52:21 AM by Trev »

Offline Animagic

• Show only replies by Animagic
    • http://www.pointer-digital.com
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 08:59:28 AM »
I am between yes and no in this one.
It can surely help new users to identify who is usefull and who is a forum spammer but at the same time it gives a powerfull tool to anybody that has an oposite opinion than yours, to give bad feedback.
Not all of us think the same way, and not all of us understand exactly "why is this button for".
For some the "reputation" button means "I dont like this answer" or "I dont like this guy" and not "this is helpfull, ontopic or not".
So, I really don't know what to suggest here :-P
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 09:01:30 AM by Animagic »
Greek Amiga User Group Amiga Hellas
You can find me on #amigahellas IRC channel on GRnet.

Offline terminator4

• Show only replies by terminator4
    • http://none
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2009, 09:04:46 AM »
I think the rep thing is silly.  Because you can have a person who doesn't know their stuff, but posts a lot, and this creates the illusion of being reputable.  Then someone say who is a developer and posts once a while has little rep points.  It creates a forum where those with many rep points brag about their skills.  Those also can "shut down" a new member because they have been around for a while.  This is already common on Lemon 64.  Come on, we are all adults, we don't need rep points (this isn't Kindergarten).  I don't know about you, but I help without need for rewards, and the person getting the feedback should base  it on multiple opinions anyways.
It also creates a ONE WAY street, where the other side has nothing to say...  Not to mention that there could be retaliation or personal attacks because one person does not like this user etc.

Offline Animagic

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2009, 09:08:59 AM »
This is a fact...

Offline Wayne

• Winning!
    • Show only replies by Wayne
    • http://www.whyzzat.com
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2009, 12:42:05 PM »
Frankly, I turned it off because I'm too old, and too tired to listening to the whiny bitching of children.  Those who obviously got bad reps then couldn't deal with the fact that they're being called on their acts of forum stupidity.

I may turn it back on out of spite, and wish those who caused the problem themselves to "have a nice day".  

It never ceases to amaze me that the dumbasses who end up with negative rep -- because they're dumbasses -- always end up being the ones who jump up and down crying how the "rep system is silly", etc.

If you fsck up in the forums, as I often do, own it.  Learn from it, and grow from it.  Act appropriately towards other people.

Otherwise, no one will give a s**t when you end up with a rep less than zero.
//* Signature Free *//

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2009, 01:11:56 PM »
Quote from: Wayne;513032
Frankly, I turned it off because I'm too old, and too tired to listening to the whiny bitching of children.  Those who obviously got bad reps then couldn't deal with the fact that they're being called on their acts of forum stupidity.

I may turn it back on out of spite, and wish those who caused the problem themselves to "have a nice day".  

It never ceases to amaze me that the dumbasses who end up with negative rep -- because they're dumbasses -- always end up being the ones who jump up and down crying how the "rep system is silly", etc.

If you fsck up in the forums, as I often do, own it.  Learn from it, and grow from it.  Act appropriately towards other people.

Otherwise, no one will give a s**t when you end up with a rep less than zero.

I say turn it back on, it was fun trying to catch up with Karlos... I was only 1 away then he jumped up another point!!!

The fun part tying to say something so helpful that loads of people rep you :D
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 01:18:30 PM by bloodline »

Offline ElPolloDiabl

• Show only replies by ElPolloDiabl
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2009, 01:23:33 PM »
To be the voice of paranoia: What about abuse from bots? Youtube recently suffered a rating/flagging bot attack. I imagine you can download the programs easily enough, 4chan would be a logical place to start looking. Not that I personally would need to use it against persons of doubtful sanity. Which are a feature at Amiga.org. lol
Go Go Gadget Signature!

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2009, 01:24:53 PM »
I'm surprised there is some negativity about the feature. You can drop comments with a rep point but they're private, so it's not like ebay where somebody can be a dick and tell a lie for the whole world to see. The rep point thing here is throttled so one person can't just jack up +1 or -1 on a person. Like any point system, it all will just average out anyway. Some folks will accumulate gobs of points, no big deal, there will always be somebody with the top score at asteroids, somebody who can solve a math problem faster, some one who can lift more weights, etc.

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2009, 01:26:22 PM »
Quote from: bloodline;513037
I say turn it back on, it was fun trying to catch up with Karlos... I was only 1 away then he jumped up another point!!!

:lol: Eat my dust... or summat.
int p; // A

Offline Animagic

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2009, 01:36:25 PM »
@Wayne: thumbs up. I am going through the same thing at amigahellas...

So, we are back on "reputation" track. This should be fun :-D