Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Apple building a sub-$600 iMac.  (Read 4155 times)

Description:

Offline neofree

• Show only replies by neofree
Re: Apple building a sub-$600 iMac.
« Reply #29 from previous page: December 31, 2004, 05:30:05 PM »
Ewww!! CRAPINTOSH!!!

Seriously.. Mac is FARTHER from Amiga then PC!  Mac has always been the simple PC that's "easy".  (More like retarded in my opinion.)      There isn't a single reason why anyone should buy these things.

A PC is more Amiga then Mac! At least it has knowledgable geeks!  Why can't Mac just die???

Offline SystemTopic starter

• Show only replies by System
    • http://amiga.org
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2004, 05:38:58 PM »
Don't hold back neofree, tell us what you really think...  :)

Nah, don't.  I was just joking.  Keep in mind that most people who have never used an Amiga think of it pretty much the exact same way (as a toy or oddity left over from the 80's).

The Macintosh is the only system which could even pose any sort of challenge to Microsoft's dominance on the desktop.  Most people NEED an "idiot-proof" computer, but on the bright side, OSX offers to let tinkers get below the skin if they want to.  

Over the last several hours, I've been reading up on the net and I'm amazed at what some people are doing with them.  Lots of people have pretty much cobbled OSX and they're using them pretty much as a Linux machine, which even further hurts the Eyetech/bPlan potential.  

$500 for a PPC machine (not just a motherboard) that the average idiot who can buy, take home, and plug in to use as a ready-made Linux box *OR* Macintosh is a major, major thing with massive potential to make a difference.

Wayne

Offline dammy

• Show only replies by dammy
« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2004, 05:56:12 PM »
If it does come out under $500, I kinda feel sorry for Genesi and Eyetech, their sqabbles and efforts will come to nothing.  Well, it may have spurred Apple to go for low end PPC market, so that maybe considered a "something good came out of it afterall."

Dammy
Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.

Offline itix

• Show only replies by itix
« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2004, 06:32:27 PM »
Peg2 could be still competitive at some points, i.e. gigabit ethernet on Linux and expandibility (AFAIK this Apple machine cant be expanded very well). Eyetech's AmigaOne Lite could have some chances too due to its small size.

But since LinuxPPC community is not very big Apple probably wipes Genesi and Eyetech out from the Linux market soon...
My Amigas: A500, Mac Mini and PowerBook

Offline HopperJF

• Show only replies by HopperJF
    • http://www.michael-powell.blogspot.com
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2004, 07:02:34 PM »
BTW to change the subject. Does OS-X allow you to get under the hood and access the *nix core? Or are you still stuck with the GUI?

You can change most things with a few extra utilities, such as {bleep}tail and Tinkertool (both freely available).

And if you like to get your hands dirty, as someone else said, use the CLI.
Religion is for people who believe in hell.
Spirituality is for people who have been there.

Offline HopperJF

« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2004, 07:08:58 PM »
Ewww!! CRAPINTOSH!!! Seriously.. Mac is FARTHER from Amiga then PC! Mac has always been the simple PC that's "easy". (More like retarded in my opinion.) There isn't a single reason why anyone should buy these things.

A PC is more Amiga then Mac! At least it has knowledgable geeks! Why can't Mac just die???

I have a Macintosh here at my desk, and the only thing I can see on it that is retarded is your post.

Offline MarkTime

• Show only replies by MarkTime
    • http://www.tanooshka.com
« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2004, 08:43:28 PM »
I'm typing this on my PowerMac G5 1.6, bought from e-bay for less than $1000 even.

I loaded it up with 2gb of RAM.  Runs great.  And I 2nd what others say...I've owned mac's before, and I just got it cause I love doing creative work...say 3d rendering or animation on the Mac...it's just a fun computer that I like to do fun things with....at work I stay mostly in the Unix world...and I keep meaning to put oracle on this thing...but actually, despite its geek potential, I've stayed busy without geeking it up, just yet (that may change soon, though, fink, mono, xmlrpc, xmlblaster....ooh la la)

darn it I started slobbering and forgot what I was saying...

anyway, oh yes....I never realized how much time I had come to constantly waste on these stupid virus's on the pc....now I always surf on the mac, and my very high spec'd pc, just is used for the occasional tunnel into work.

as for a sub 600 mac....Apple needs it.   I don't think it will be a world beater, as people play games, and pc's have the most games....but, for those who were really in the Mac camp, but just couldn't stomach the high price of the Mac (and it is really high)...they can finally purchase a new machine.  And I can see how amigans, who are naturally curious about alternative os's..would certainly want one too.

I still think linux runs better,faster on x86, however.

Offline dslcc

• Show only replies by dslcc
« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2004, 08:52:06 PM »
Mac has always been the simple PC that's "easy".

Simple and easy is something that takes brilliant programming to achive. It is not a bad point, but a good point. The only other operating systems that fall into the 'simple and easy' category are AOS and Morphos.

Think what would it take to make Windoze 'simple and easy' and you will list the things that make AOS a great OS.

:-D :idea:
:-o...

Offline spihunter

• Show only replies by spihunter
« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2004, 09:02:09 PM »
If this turns out to be true I will defenitly be buying this. Final Cut Pro 2 or 3 would run pretty well on a 1.2 ghz G4. Maybe just add a little more ram.

Offline Ilwrath

« Reply #38 on: December 31, 2004, 09:47:33 PM »
@Waccoon -

Anyone know where I can buy a used, MacOS X capable system for $200 or less? Specs aren't important as I'd use it strictly for compatibility testing.

RetroBox has some...  Actually, they have lots of really cool older systems!

As for the people who say Macs are simplistic and not advanced....  These are basically people who haven't used OSX.  OSX allows a lot of tinkering room, if you choose to venture there.  

Almost all the options typically available on a computer are available through the pretty candy-coated OSX GUI.  

But, you also have a shell, that is your standard Unix-style shell.  Unix commands work as expected.  Many config files are where you'd expect to find them, as well.  

You can use the computer however you'd like.  I had to use one for a couple-month contract late last year.  Myself, coming from a PC/Amiga/Linux background used the Mac like a Linux box.  My co-worker, a longtime Mac fan, used it like an older Mac.  We were both amazed at how well both of our totally different approaches worked.  I don't think he ever touched a shell, and I only left mine to click buttons in apps.

As much as I liked the Mac, for my own use, I couldn't justify spending that much money for a machine that didn't do anything I couldn't do on my PC.  I might consider picking up a sub-$600 new Mac, though, especially if Apple comes up with some novel TV-PVR/Media PC type features built-in.  

This new Pizza-box Mac has my curiosity.....

Offline FastRobPlus

• Show only replies by FastRobPlus
    • http://bye
« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2004, 11:02:23 PM »
Yeow!

You mean, Macs cost more than $600 now!?!?

Offline HopperJF

« Reply #40 on: January 01, 2005, 03:01:47 AM »
Somebody PLEASE change the topic for it is misleading. It is a sub $499 Mac, NOT $600.

Offline danamania

• Show only replies by danamania
    • http://www.danaquarium.com/
« Reply #41 on: January 01, 2005, 06:28:27 AM »
Technically it's a rumour of mac that's rumoured to be under $500 :).

Whether or not it's vapor that never existed and never will... that's something won't find out until 11th January around 10am SF time.

dana

Offline MaDDuck

• Show only replies by MaDDuck
« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2005, 01:10:02 AM »
QuOtE--
Quote:

Poster: Dan Posted: 2004/12/30 17:38:06

Pippin II
http://www.macgeek.org/museum/pippin/

Ah, the Pippin. Proof positive that at least once, Commodore beat out Apple in terms of unit sales (Pippin v. CD32  )
qUoTe--

Hey....
Don't laugh I have a Pippen, except mine's Nintendo-grey not black like the one in the picture! A truly unique, worthless curiosity. I get more play from my CD32!!

"Dance like no ones watching, love like you\'ve never been hurt, work like you dont need the money,and laugh like no ones listening!"
- Unknown

Offline adolescent

• Show only replies by adolescent
« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2005, 08:14:47 AM »
Last I checked $499 was less than $600.  So, the topic could effectively be sub-$1,000,000 and still be correct.
 :-D
(Not to mention the price, specs, and availability are all speculation as of now...)
Time to move on.  Bye Amiga.org.  :(

Offline dslcc

• Show only replies by dslcc
« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2005, 05:54:26 PM »
Last I checked $499 was less than $600. So, the topic could effectively be sub-$1,000,000 and still be correct

Kindof like saying 'Sub-120F temp - bring a jacket.'  :-D
:-o...