Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Why do you still use your old Amiga?  (Read 5946 times)

Description:

Offline Im>bE

• Show only replies by Im>bE
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/TotalChaosTheGame
Re: Why do you still use your old Amiga?
« Reply #44 on: September 30, 2003, 07:14:06 PM »

> Why do you still use your old Amiga?

Because I want to.

Just like ppl -want- to have sex.
Hopelessly addicted to the world\'s best strategy game.
Total Chaos on YouTube

Offline richard

• Show only replies by richard
« Reply #45 on: September 30, 2003, 07:14:58 PM »

I love using my Amiga for the nostalgia, it brings back good memories. I like loading up the old games etc.

But a number of you guys make it sound like a cult; you believe in half truths and choose to ignore the Amiga’s limitations.

Amiga hardware is still expensive, its performance to cost ratio is huge.
The Amiga crashes more than my PC, and I use my PC for about ooh lets say 10-12 hours a day. While I only use my Amiga for perhaps a hour at a time. Or do guru meditation errors not count?

This is just my opinion, and now I wait to be flamed or even excommunicated.
A500+ 6megs
HD8+ 50Meg SCSI
8x SCSI CDRom
External Floppy

Offline lempkee

• Show only replies by lempkee
    • http://www.amigaguru.com
« Reply #46 on: September 30, 2003, 07:16:52 PM »
tbh i never really liked a system which takes over your life like windows does , it makes you lazy itself is lazy and you are doomed to upgrade if you wanna be  in the loop.

beyond that i seriously think that you dont need 3ghz just to have some fun, and beyond that i love oldschool and good games, sure i agree some new stuff is cool but too hyped , i have a ps2 and other consoles for my game needs but seriously i always return to my amiga for a classic game instead.

for people who must use a pc for work , ever heard of dont bring your work home ? , if you work in your own house ...ever heard of CURFUES? :)  , so many lame excuses for using a pc and so many good points to take it down :)

but i agree , if people want brand new games and really blazing fast fps games...go for a pc , if you want bloated software go for a pc , but i am like this.. i use the fuctions in a tool i know how to .. the rest stays in the dark until someone shows me (photshop 7.0 anyone ? :)  ..

sure i agree its good to have the options but for my usage i dont see why, all i need is to have fun, and fun is the reason why i am still messing with computers..  

i am one of thoose weirdo's who still play slamtilt for days in and out, deluxe galaga also... i am too old maybe and not interested in super high benchmarks on a slow and dull os, you guys gotta agree on this eh ?..

imagine what a morphos or amigaos would be able to do on a 3ghz cpu with 8x agp? , have you guys actually bothered to look under the hood ? , check the demoscene...i can't say i am impressed.

ok...i know..i might sound like some oldschoolers from the c64 times when amiga was new but i think this time its actually a problem which it wasnt back then, both pc's and amiga's are useable tools for the desired customer/user , but if we changed the specs with each others one of em would have been long gone and totally dead!
i have said it before and i will say it again , there is no future in the "current" x86 setups, they age and they die and there is nothing to make people jump back....or is there? ..
i wonder how many users actually think...I WISH i was on a win95 setup with 32mb ram... and not like they are saying now..i wish i had 5ghz and 24x agp  and 2terrabyte of ram.

but as i said...maybe i am too old to follow.. :D

people move to linux because they are sick of windows and need something new.... i can agree with em on that...

people choose pegasos over their classic amigas , i can agree with em on that.

but what i can't agree with people on is.. upgrade and upgrde and upgrade and still use a dull and slow os which actually aint that slow on a 3ghz cpu anymore but thats because the turbo is 500 times bigger than the actual turtle :)

ok...this got a tad long...

cheers
Whats up with all the hate!

Offline lempkee

• Show only replies by lempkee
    • http://www.amigaguru.com
« Reply #47 on: September 30, 2003, 07:23:31 PM »
oh and.. i know all systems more or less ,
i was an system admin for 3 years (pc,mac,linux and sun) (and 1 amiga :D) .

so i know from experience + that is one of the reasons why i was away for 2+ years on the internet , it made me loose all interests ...

so i quitted the job...and i got back on my amiga 100% and it took me about 2 months to say...OK i wanna go back to what i once did...Beeing 100% amiga and enjoying it...

that was 28 months ago...

Whats up with all the hate!

Offline mbilla

• Show only replies by mbilla
« Reply #48 on: September 30, 2003, 08:31:42 PM »
My A3000T runs everyday as normal working machine.
It's fully equipped with no more slots available.
Well it's my Router for my A1 G4XE, A3000, iMAC and my Wife's PC.
The main reason for using my A3000T as router is that ADSL isn't any
faster on the PC, in fact it's even slower!!!!
My A3000T FTPs 30KB/sec whereas the PC only runs at 25 KB/sec when
it's online over the same DSL line without the Amiga as router.
The iMAC transfers at 28 KB/sec and the A1 via the the A30000T router
runs at 35 KB/sec.

Second all my emails are checked with A3000T, NO PC WIN virus can
harm it!!!!
It needs less power to run and boots faster.

Lately a thunderstorm did cut the power current.
And guess which computer restarted completely? Yes the A3000T
The iMAC didn't switch on, the A1 rebooted to the user prompt and the
PC had to check it's HD after I had to switch it on and off 10 times
to even know that there's power again.

Oh yes Pagesstream runs everyday on my A3000T, in fact I also earned
money with Pagestream.

And I use GoldEd to programm in HTML.

I can't wait to get AOS4 to exchange my A3000T for the A1.

On the other hand the OS reacts when you do click  the mouse.
I can't say that of Linux nor MAC OS X nor Windows.

If I can get a cheap 68030 card for my A600 I will try to use it as
router :-)
Why? Well it just consumes 20 WATTs of power.
So I can run it day and night. :-)

bye

Manou

Offline sTix

• Show only replies by sTix
    • http://pegasos.dyndns.biz
« Reply #49 on: September 30, 2003, 08:44:48 PM »

I like the feeling of being in control, When
I use my Amiga I understand what's going on
under the hood. Keeping it simple, lightweight,
speed.

Offline Miffo

• Show only replies by Miffo
« Reply #50 on: September 30, 2003, 08:54:37 PM »
Hi. I´m new here! This is my first post! :-)

I have not owned an Amiga since a long time! But I have seen the Amiga One Lite announced on many sites and that one looks interesting!

I had a A500+ once uppon a time. I even got a Hard Drive for it, it was ridiculously small and expensive by todays standards, but was I the hero of the neighbourhood or what? ;-) :-D

What I liked with it was the graphics and the sound. And the many games of course.

Offline PMC

• Show only replies by PMC
    • http://www.b3ta.com
« Reply #51 on: September 30, 2003, 09:17:22 PM »
For so many reasons!

Despite owning a PS2 and a 2.4Ghz PC, I love the simplistic approach of the Amiga's OS and the fact that it is so very responsive.  Not only that, the OS has a very small footprint and there's no extraneous features that I'll never use.  Beleive it or not, web browsing on my 40Mhz Amiga is faster than on my PC.

I'm not necessarily anti PC or PS2, otherwise I wouldn't own them but there are so many things about the Amiga that still make it a very nice machine to use.  

Cecilia for President

Offline redfox

• Show only replies by redfox
« Reply #52 on: September 30, 2003, 09:38:32 PM »
LP wrote:
You could hook your Amiga on the ADSL too you know

Good point.  I've got room in my A2000HD.  I should get an ethernet card and give it a try.

Especially after I read how mbilla uses his A3000T as a router for his A1 G4XE, A3000, iMAC and his wife's PC, and can also do other stuff as well.

Thanks,
redfox

Offline SHADES

• Show only replies by SHADES
« Reply #53 on: September 30, 2003, 10:55:40 PM »
You know, this also amazes me.
I have often wondered why I continue to use such a slow and old PC.

3 reasons that come to mind.
1.) An amazing multitasking ability and controll WOW.
2.) No need to shut it down, just turn it off.
3.) What a fantastic way of setting out an OS. I WISH it was like Microsoft now is (with less evilness of course)
What do I want from a computer? I want it to be like an AMIGA but with newer H/W. The only thing I dislike about the AMIGA at the moment is it's very slow, no colours and 3rd party hacks as far as the eye can see to keep it running.

If AI really does get AMIGA OS4 out on a standard fast HW platform and it does multitask like the classic, I will be like Neil A landing on the moon.
It's not the question, that is the problem, it is the problem, that is the question.

Offline SamuarTopic starter

• Show only replies by Samuar
« Reply #54 on: October 01, 2003, 12:14:25 AM »
Thanks guys and gals for all your responses. I hope everyone else found them to be an interesting read. Hopefully others will contribute too.

It also seems discussing these things have given others ideas for what is possible with their own, current Amigas - like connecting them straight upto the ADSL.

Once again, many thanks...

Sam Holland (Samuar)
Dell Dimension 5000; Dell Inspiron 1300.

Offline 98PaceCar

• Show only replies by 98PaceCar
« Reply #55 on: October 01, 2003, 12:28:05 AM »
Same reason I still use my C64 (which is on the same desk with my Athlon 1800, A3000, and A500)... Pure nostalgia. There's nothing like booting and playing a game of Lemmings or Leander on the original format!

I've just recently returned to the Amiga world after finding a very cheap 3000 system (my dream system from back in the day). It's just been fun to play with it and re-learn how things work and see the current state of things. It's almost like the Amiga still has a soul while the pc world is just all business and no fun. I've built countless Athlon and Intel systems with all the latest toys, but just putting a Picasso II and Cybergraphx in my 3000 was the most fun I've had doing installs in a long time!

Bottom line, it's just fun!

98PaceCar

Offline Corrie

• Show only replies by Corrie
« Reply #56 on: October 01, 2003, 12:45:20 AM »
Like most things, updates and newer models become available. The same question can be put forth to a person who drives a 15 year old car and not one of the latest models available. Why would a person do this? Perhaps the fact that they know the older cars inside and out and it suits their needs.

I look at my Amiga the same way. I own an A4000T, Cyberstorm MKIII 060 66Mhz, CybervisionPPC and running SCSI drives. This system does everything I want it to do. I can play the majority of the newer Amiga games on it such as Freespace, QuakeII and Payback. I enjoy listening to MP3s on it, and general internet use like amirc.

I also own a PIII that I use for the net also. I do play a few of the latest 3d games on it, but nothing constantly. I guess I love my Amiga more because I purchased everything and built it up to what it is today. I know it well and everytime I boot it up, within 7 seconds from the HD read, I am looking at my OS3.9 screen as apposed to my PC which takes alot longer to boot.

The Amiga brings back fond memories of the first time I got my A500 and the friends I made through the same interests. It reminds me of a time when everything seemed to make more sense and software really had value and a sense of effort and thought put into it. I have fine tuned my A4000T and I cannot remember the last time I had a crash on it. As apposed to my pc that freezes alot using Win98.

Overall my Amiga stands for something unique. Whereas my pc just simply is an appliance that 90% of households have. Sure I have fun on the pc, but nothing near the fun I have on the Amiga. The Amiga stands for a system that has endured the constant degrading comments and loss of support over the years, and here we are, still using a machine that dates back to the days of the 286.

My question is this, to all of you out there, do you feel that these days there seems to be more of a direction towards commonality? It seems everyone is using PC, all using Windows, all playing the same games, all using the net. It is just like an appliance, everyone using their tv to do the same thing. You ask an Amiga owner what they use their Amiga for and you will get some interesting results.

Why are we heading towards a future where everything is going to be the same? What happended to individuality? Does it still exist?

Why do I still use my Amiga?

Because it reminds me of a time when things were made to last, not just a sale. When you felt like you belonged to an individual group and you owned something really special. Its because I love what the Amiga stands for and the sense of goodness I get everytime I turn it on. It does exactly what I want it to do and it fun using it.
Escom A4000T ^ Cyberstorm MKIII 68060 75Mhz ^ 128Mb Fastram ^ CybervisionPPC ^ IOBlix ^ Ariadne II ^ Prelude ZII ^ 147Gig 10k U320 SCSI HD ^ OS 3.9!

Offline that_punk_guy

• Show only replies by that_punk_guy
« Reply #57 on: October 01, 2003, 12:46:53 AM »
This thread has really got me thinking. As soon as I have the cash, forget that drumkit I wanted, I'm gonna get a damn good miggy on this desk!  :-)

Offline Tomas

• Show only replies by Tomas
« Reply #58 on: October 01, 2003, 12:51:58 AM »
Lately a thunderstorm did cut the power current.

just a tip... Allways unplug your computers when there is a thunderstorm!! I talk from personal experience  ;-)

Last year, there was a bad thunderstorm, i did not unplug any of my equipment.. But anyway, we lost my dads compaq pIII 450, one monitor, hub had actually started to melt and did not work anymore and my 28 inch widescreen tv got heavily damaged"turns itself off with a bang if cold"

Luckily both my linux server"450 ky-2" and my main computer survived with just a reboot.

I so regreat that i did not unplug the compuiters  :-(

The compaq lived for nearly a week afterwards though, then went totally black, never got any life signs out of it again.

Offline mikeymike

• Show only replies by mikeymike
« Reply #59 from previous page: October 01, 2003, 12:55:54 AM »
Allways unplug your computers when there is a thunderstorm!!

I'm not sure I'd go that far.  If I were to, I'd unplug every electronic appliance in the house.  I've had a modem fried in a thunderstorm before, that was when lightning took out a telegraph pole, and a good few phones and modems near my house.  The computer was unaffected.  Serial modem though.