Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: VHI-drivers for USB-digicams and USB-webcams  (Read 1745 times)

Description:

Chathurawind

VHI-drivers for USB-digicams and USB-webcams
« on: April 24, 2002, 02:19:18 PM »
IOSPIRIT are very happy to announce that VHI-drivers for USB-digicams and USB-webcams will soon be available.

It will soon be possible to also use more recent cameras with VHI Studio and benefit from all its advantages. In contrast to a USB-cardreader VHI Studio communicates directly with the camera via the VHI driver. This opens up completly new possibilities to the user, making it possible to create timelapse-animations, use the digital camera as a webcam, make changes to internal settings via a comfortable userinterface, correct pictures using its correction-tools or just creating a quick overview of the pictures in the camera.

Supported USB-webcams will be handled like a videoboard in VHI Studio.

In the last few weeks we´ve extended the VHI-standard and made the required changes to VHI Studio to support USB. As the development of at least two API-incompatible USB-stacks (Poseidon by Chris Hodges (for Highway/Subway, MorphOS, maybe Amithlon) and the USB Stack contained in AmigaOS 4.0) on the AMIGA-market is forseeable, we furthermore have created a stack-independant layer (called IOUSB) between the driver and the respective USB-stack that will ensure support for the different systems.

Thanks to a close cooperation with E3B (hardware of Highway/Subway) and Chris Hodges (author of Poseidon) the support for Poseidon is already complete. Support for AmigaOS 4.0 and its stack will be added when the development of AmigaOS 4.0 has completed. We´re already in contact with the AmigaOS 4.0-developerteam, so that adapted drivers should be available from us for the release of AmigaOS 4.0.

The first driver, which will support the Kodak®-Digicams DC 240, DC 280, DC 3400 and DC 5000, currently undergoes final betatests with Poseidon.

Development of drivers for other devices will depend on the demands of the market. We therefore have created a little poll and would appreciate a high number of participants.

To the poll

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
    • Show only replies by redrumloa
Re: VHI-drivers for USB-digicams and USB-webcams
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2002, 04:50:12 PM »
Good freakin news! Keep the good news comming boys! We need all these modern hardware working!

Only Amiga makes it possible..Eeer..umm..

Only the dedicated Amiga developer community makes it happen!

Hell if all this good news keeps up the Amiga will have more hardware support than the Mac!

Up yours Jobs :-P
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!

Offline Orgin

• Show only replies by Orgin
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2002, 04:53:35 PM »
Thumbs up folks :)

/Björn
Mooh?

Offline AmiGod

• Show only replies by AmiGod
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2002, 04:59:14 PM »
This is truly excellent news.  My DC290, as old as she is, is currently using the Flashpoint driver via VHI Studio on AmiOS 3.9, and I'm impressed with the photos (even after two years).

Although I wouldn't mind getting a nice Foveon-powered digicam when the prices come down a little.  See www.foveon.com for information on the technology.

AmiGod

Offline Rigger

• Show only replies by Rigger
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2002, 05:45:29 PM »
Excellent news. I've been using VHI Studio for my VLab board for two years now. Will be great to run the pictures straight to my Amiga instead of having to transfer from my :-xPC

Offline Calen

• Show only replies by Calen
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2002, 07:44:46 PM »
Just got a  new DSC-P71 USB Sony Digital still Camera, Hope it will be supported  :-)

Offline PhatAgnus

• Show only replies by PhatAgnus
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2002, 11:19:44 PM »
Excellent work, guys! Keep it coming!! USB for Everybody!!
\\"You\\\'re asking for logic where there is none.\\"

Offline Agafaster

• Show only replies by Agafaster
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2002, 07:09:54 PM »
Related nicely to my forum topic -
anyone know if I can use this USB stack/these drivers with a USB card in my A1200's PCMCIA slot ?
\\"New Bruce here will be teaching Machiavelli, Bentham, Locke, Hobbes, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Lindwall, Miller, Hassett and Benaud.\\"
\\"Those are all cricketers, Bruce !\\"
A1XE G3/800MHz Radeon 7000 512MB
A1200 030/25MHz 8MB

Chathurawind

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2002, 10:58:52 PM »
> anyone know if I can use this USB stack/these drivers with a USB card in my A1200's PCMCIA slot ?

If the PCMCIA is compatible with the A1200/600 PCMCIA port and somebody writes a hardware driver for it
(using the docs from the manufacturer?), there's nothing that could stop you from using a PCMCIA-USB card.

As a matter of fact, five minutes ago I didn't even know, that these cards exist.
Which card do you own? The one from Belkin?

Best Regards,

Chris Hodges

Chathurawind

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2002, 10:29:23 AM »
Chris Hodges wrote:

Which card do you own? The one from Belkin?

actually, no - I was just thinking about bandwidth particularly of my A1200s PCMCIA port, and compared it with the bitrate of USB1.1 (12Mb/s~1.5MB/s) and put two and two...
a quick search on Google (plug plug) revealed several manufacturers do PCMCIA to USB cards for Type 2 slots (some even do USB2 !)
I would get one, though, if there were drivers available...

what did you mean by compatibility ? the Amiga's port is a Type 2 innit ? is this standard not adhered to particularly well ?

PS: a quick blast of aminet did not reveal any.

Offline Agafaster

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2002, 10:32:23 AM »
Agg!

that last one was me!
I didnt realise I wasnt logged in - it seems one can post replies to news items if not logged in...

Chris, why you ask - do you need a tester ?
\\"New Bruce here will be teaching Machiavelli, Bentham, Locke, Hobbes, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Lindwall, Miller, Hassett and Benaud.\\"
A1200 030/25MHz 8MB

Chathurawind

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2002, 12:03:31 PM »
> I would get one, though, if there were drivers available...

Now there's catch 22 again. I don't have an Amiga with PCMCIA port (at least no-one I can connect PCMCIA cards to) and I just don't have the time to write drivers for every hardware. So somebody else has to write the driver for it. I will provide the required developer docs for Poseidon.

> what did you mean by compatibility ? the Amiga's port is a Type 2 innit ? is this standard not adhered to particularly well ?

I just checked, yeah, the PCMCIA port is supposed to be type II. I just heard of people having problems with various PCMCIA cards in the past (that were not related to the reset-problem).

So, is anyone interested in doing a PCMCIA driver for Poseidon? If not, I guess this is bad luck then (or at least will take >9 months to appear).

Best Regards
Chris Hodges

Offline Agafaster

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2002, 01:47:32 PM »
I could be interested but-
I am a programmer (C is my 1st language) but my amiga experience is very limited - thats not the problem
My accelerator is not PCMCIA friendly ! (although I could just write the code, and reboot / use my spare 1200 to test - it has no accelerator.)

hmm. sounds a bit lame dunnit ?!

though I do need a project to start me off, and this could just be the ticket...

I'll mail you directly when I know what I'm gonna do...
A1200 030/25MHz 8MB