Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Which version of OSX to use?  (Read 3497 times)

Description:

Offline TenaciousTopic starter

• Show only replies by Tenacious
Which version of OSX to use?
« on: April 15, 2009, 02:35:57 AM »
I just picked up a 1.8GHz single core G5 with 2.5 Gigs of ram.  I am most tempted to run OS 10.4 because I already have it, and I like the flexibilty of running the Classic environment. I normally prefer stability and responsiveness to gimmicky bloat.

EDIT: I intend to use this machine to suppliment my Amiga.  Things like making Mp3s, UTube, printing PDFs, general compatibilty with the outside world.  I'm not a game player.

Having said that, is there anything I would miss in a later version of the OS?

Offline beller

• S.A.C.C.
    • Show only replies by beller
Re: Which version of OSX to use?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 02:44:48 AM »
What would you miss?  The main thing I can think of is Time Machine which I think first came with 10.5.  It's already saved me when my hard drive crashed.  I'm backing up automatically to a second drive in my G5 Tower.  Restoring was as simple as a reboot with the system CD and a quick restore to a new drive.

I'd go with 10.5 if you can afford it, plus you get to use all the newer versions of the Mac iSoftware...

Bob

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 02:53:56 AM »
I'm gathering that Time Machine is a slick recovery program for a dying HD?

So far, the iSoftware has been lost on me.

Offline save2600

• Show only replies by save2600
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 03:04:07 AM »
As spoken about in another thread recently, I was disappointed going from 10.4 to 10.5. I have a 2.1ghz G5 and noticed slowdown in everyday usage in 10.5's performance. There are a few major annoyances, such as how the Finder takes "forever" to load and it seems that the the OS loads and hogs more resources for stuff you normally wouldn't use anyway. I've also noticed delays in typing in Safari as well. 10.5 just seems sluggish compared to the 10.4.

Never used TimeMachine either, and that may be a good program and all, but there are other backup schemes out there. HD failures are not common on a Mac like they are on a PeeCee of course too, so not sure if a backup program that's built into the OS would be a "must have" for me. In fact, I have never had a HD crash on a Mac system... knock on plastic and aluminum! lol

I currently run 10.5, but would like to go back to 10.4 someday. Oh - and that huge month tag that distracts from viewing iPhoto's thumbnails is annoying. I wish you could turn that off. There was also a few features taken away for unknown reasons from the latest iMovie/iDVD too that was mentioned and sorely missed by the editors at MacWorld that I cannot remember. Don't use them too much. All I know is that the iLife suite took a hit too performance wise, but of course - there may be positive tradeoffs... just can't think of any right now. All aspects of the computer seem slower with 10.5 on my system and I did a clean install too!

Oh and ditching classic support was really idiotic. I really like the flexibility of running OS9 type stuff and had a few programs which still used it. My favourite version of Photoshop for instance. I've since replaced it with CS4, but what the heck - it's only money, right?  :lol:

IMO - If you normally prefer stability and responsiveness to gimmicky bloat, you will be sorely disappointed in 10.5.

BTW: Anyone have any use for a boxed copy of 10.2?

Offline save2600

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 03:06:51 AM »
Time Machine is a HD backup utility as easy as pie to use and setup is all. Your HD has got to be in good shape for it to work. It doesn't perform any other miracle other than restoring your software to a known 100% functional HD.

Tenacious wrote:

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 03:38:26 AM »
Yes, I read what you wrote in the other thread and was hoping you would respond here with more info.  Thank You!

My G5 is slower than yours.  I was fairly set before I started this thread.

I will probably run two identical HDs and back one to the other.  There must be something useful on Pure-Mac.

Offline lofstudio

• Show only replies by lofstudio
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2009, 05:47:18 AM »
I run 10.5 on my Intel iMac and MacBook Pro, but my wife has 10.4 on her 12" PowerBook. I tried installing 10.5 on it, but it felt slower. Whether 10.5 actually was slower, I don't know. I'd say 10.4 is about as high as you'd really want to go on a G4/G5. There's no really compelling reason to upgrade. What you get with Time Machine can be handled with SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner.

Save2600-- have you tried SheepShaver for classic emulation?
A3000: 2mb chip, 8mb fast; Buddha Flash Phoenix; some cheapo CD-ROM; OS 3.1 + lots of Macs

Offline save2600

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2009, 05:51:33 AM »
@lofstudio:

No, I've never even heard of that. Thanks, I'll check into it tomorrow. I gave it a quick look and under the requirements, it said you needed a PPC ROM image or something like that. Where to get one of those? I'm not  really aware of a Mac underground scene at all.

Offline da9000

• Show only replies by da9000
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2009, 06:27:04 AM »

Tenacious wrote:
I like the flexibilty of running the Classic environment. I normally prefer stability and responsiveness to gimmicky bloat.

Dude, the Classic environment is anything but stable. It has no intraprocess memory protection, just like AmigaOS.

It's somewhat responsive because it's so damn simple and outdated. Again just like... well you get the point.

It also runs much like a VM, so you won't ever have it running on the bare metal.

Having said that, OS X is neither gimmicky, nor bloated. It will take a book to explain why, but reading about the matter will help explain. Briefly: first and foremost Mac OS X derives its lineage from NeXTSTEP which was about 20 years ahead of its time when it was out in the late 80s and early 90s. A lot more has gone into Mac OS X, and I'm not talking about the "Unix core", but more about the very powerful programming interfaces/libraries/frameworks/APIs which sit on top. I'm talking about Cocoa, Objective-C 2.0, CoreAnimation, CoreImage, CoreAudio, OpenGL, OpenCL, etc.

There's nothing gimmicky in the OS. What is claimed that it does or how it works, is actually how it is under the hood. Lack of knowledge or the ability to diagnose and find for oneself doesn't make such claims a gimmick or marketing. There are some very powerful technologies under the hood,
and those of us who know about them (not by any God induced miracle, but by simply *reading*), have become fans, fanatics and fanboys because we've seen the virtues and benefits of such technologies and we recognize them as NON-marketing mumbo-jumbo, but very real and empowering technologies.

And to briefly see them in action, just watch this, oh about 20 year old video on how easy it is for even an unskilled person to create a powerful database driven application in less than 10 minutes. After the video, stop and ponder: if NeXTSTEP/OSX could do that back in 1993, what can one do with it in 2009?

Start at minute 23 if you don't want to see the whole thing (or go to 31:20-31:34 for a joke you'll likely appreciate), although you will only learn things if you see the whole:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j02b8Fuz73A

(follow the related videos on this one because it's split over a few parts)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1wYy5qvA24

These are EARLY 90s videos!!! Jezus Kriste!

Also this following guy, who works at Google currently, has one of the best, actually THE best, in-depth books on Mac OS X and the various advanced technologies within. Luckily his intro pages are free:

Start with Chapter 1.
http://osxbook.com/book/bonus/

Tenacious wrote:
Having said that, is there anything I would miss in a later version of the OS?

Yes, about 20 years worth of advanced technology.

As per the original question, I run Mac OS X 10.6 ;-) and recommend Leopard/10.5 as the minimum, unless you have a way old Mac which then should have 10.3.9 as the absolute minimum.

Offline da9000

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2009, 06:36:35 AM »

Tenacious wrote:

No. Time Machine is just a simple and intuitive backup software.

It will not attempt HDD recovery or anything such. That's best left for experts or other tools (For Mac OS X I recommend Data Rescue II).

Tenacious wrote:

Have you actually, like, launched the applications and spent 10 minutes with them? If not, you'll never "get" them.

If you still don't, just launch iDVD or iPhoto and go to the Help menu and read the first few topics. They're not big/long. And it'll help get started.

Even simpler still: click on the links below and the links inside to watch the videos. Simple as A-B-C.
http://www.apple.com/findouthow/mac/
http://www.apple.com/findouthow/photos/
http://www.apple.com/findouthow/movies/idvd.html
http://www.apple.com/findouthow/movies/

Offline da9000

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2009, 07:03:51 AM »

save2600 wrote:
As spoken about in another thread recently, I was disappointed going from 10.4 to 10.5. I have a 2.1ghz G5 and noticed slowdown in everyday usage in 10.5's performance. There are a few major annoyances, such as how the Finder takes "forever" to load and it seems that the the OS loads and hogs more resources for stuff you normally wouldn't use anyway. I've also noticed delays in typing in Safari as well. 10.5 just seems sluggish compared to the 10.4.

You are correct from my observations as well. 10.5 feels slower than 10.4. Although I don't know everything here are some important notes:

Make sure you're comparing with "comparable" machines. What this means is: Leopard was not made for some of the older machines in mind, therefore it does not support them as well. As an example, on my PPC Mac Mini Panther is WAY faster when you go over the dock and have its Magnify feature enabled. Leopard feels and looks sluggish. The reason: the graphic stack has changed to the point that the poor ATI w/ 32MB in the Mac Mini isn't supported so well. In fact, 16bit modes are officially unsupported and in the older video cards these are faster, which means you end up with code going through the slow path.

A more correct comparison would be to compare the "recommended" machine configuration for each OS and compare those. Just like a video game which says: "recommended config 64MB RAM, minimum 8MB". Yo want to run all the tests on the config that's labeled as "recommended"

Another reason might be on how much RAM the machine has. If at any point there's swapping, performance will drop DRAMATICALLY. This is very critical. Leopard was targeted with machines that had at least 2x the RAM than those required for Tiger. But with the same RAM, yes Tiger will probably be faster on certain machines, just like Mac OS 1.0 would have been. Just like Amiga OS 1.x is faster than 3.x.

The other thing is to be aware of what's going on under the hood. As previously mentioned, if Spotlight is indexing your disk while you're testing, well things will definitely be sluggish.

Finally, good tuning helps a lot. You can turn off services you don't need or use (ex: Dashboard). Some reading and Googling is required for this, but there are tools like TinkerTool, OnyX, Deeper, etc.

Some hints:
http://macupdate.com/search.php?keywords=optimization&os=mac
http://macupdate.com/search.php?keywords=hidden+ui&os=mac
http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/performance.html

save2600 wrote:
there. HD failures are not common on a Mac like they are on

This is unsubstantiated. Macs use the same HDDs and same HDD technology. Failure of the HDD will be in the same levels. What WILL be different is file system failure, because Mac OS X uses HFS+ (typically) a journaled FS, which is pretty robust. However most other OSs have comparable FSs like Windows NTFS and Linux's EXT3, ReiserFS, JFS, etc.

save2600 wrote:
I currently run 10.5, but would like to go back to 10.4 someday. Oh - and that huge month tag that distracts from viewing iPhoto's thumbnails is annoying. I wish you could turn that off. There was also a few features taken away for unknown reasons from the latest iMovie/iDVD too that was mentioned and sorely missed by the editors at MacWorld that

Part of the reason is that the software (iMovie) was completely re-written. The whole paradigm of how to make a movie was changed with the new version of iMovie. Progress has its victims, which is complacency and comfort. BTW, I felt "the loss" as well, but only until I got used to the new way of doing things.

save2600 wrote:
I cannot remember. Don't use them too much. All I know is that the iLife suite took a hit too performance wise, but of course - there may be positive tradeoffs... just can't

Some of the reasons again is that these are targeted at the new line of multi-core, multi-Ghz Macs which are far more powerful. And a ton of new features of course:

(just a sample)
http://www.apple.com/ilife/iphoto/
http://www.tuaw.com/2009/01/06/apple-introduces-ilife-09-at-macworld-expo/

(more complete)
http://www.getlisty.com/conchovalleyhomepage/new-features-in-apples-ilife-09/

save2600 wrote:
think of any right now. All aspects of the computer seem slower with 10.5 on my system and I did a clean install too!

Yep, that will be the case in certain cases :-)

save2600 wrote:
Oh and ditching classic support was really idiotic. I really like the flexibility of running OS9 type stuff and had a few programs which still used it. My favourite version of Photoshop for instance. I've since replaced it with CS4, but what the heck - it's only money, right?  :lol:

I hear you and I echo your sentiments often sometimes. However it's done in the name of progress and improving the user experience, which many of those older apps lacked, EVEN THOUGH they are familiar to us and we've grown to love them and even accept their imperfections (does anyone forget the days when Photoshop crashed and took their precious art and the whole OS with it? Or when you couldn't run Photoshop and ten other apps because you were afraid of one crashing app killing the other ones?)

Another very important reason is that of a workforce. If they had kept Classic OS around, they would have to support it, which means a lot of people would have to be working on it and not able to help with the other stuff. It's resources and money really. Backwards compatibility and "discontinued" products cost a lot.

save2600 wrote:
IMO - If you normally prefer stability and responsiveness to gimmicky bloat, you will be sorely disappointed in 10.5.

Argg... here we go again with "gimmicky" and "bloat". Read my first post on this thread.

save2600 wrote:
BTW: Anyone have any use for a boxed copy of 10.2?

Not boxed.

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2009, 01:13:05 PM »
Wow, that's a lot of info. Thanx. I'll check the videos when I log in with the laptop.

I was not trying to insult Apple's latest efforts, nor do I feel that progress should slow to a more human pace (well, most times I do, grin).  I simply want to match the OS to a good hardware deal (a 1.8GHz G5) and other stuff I've rescued.  I will never embrace Apple tech/philosophy as my main vehicle, this machine will simply be a compatability fill-in for me.  And it's cheap and obsolete.  My computing passion is for Amiga technology.  Sad in some eyes, but true.

Happy Easter.

Offline leirbag28

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2009, 01:15:31 PM »
@Tenacious

There is ONE MAJOR thing......and its THEE major thing about 10.5...........a matter of fact it is a turning point for me finally accepting Macs to have reached Amiga closeness as possible:

PUBLIC SCREENS    aka     SPACES.

This improves Prodctivity by like 1000%    Now my Mac cant act as fast as I think.   This is one if the best things about Amigas....To be able to use many screens with different apps at the same time.

Now you can Run XP and OSX in 2 seperate Public screens Natively and practically.  Amazing!  Get Parrallels!

CD32 is actually the best Amiga ever made by Commodore!...

Offline DiskDoctor

• Show only replies by DiskDoctor
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2009, 01:33:50 PM »
@ Tenacious

All I can come up with is that you check system's recommended requirements against your hardware.  I think the most recent OS, the better as long as it runs fast.

But the biggest leap in Mac OS (except for 9 -> X transition) was between 10.3 and 10.4. Just check out the features comparison on the website. Mac OS 10.5 has some  improvements, mostly UI smoothing, making it more Vista-like (thus making it more 10.4-like :-))
Was: Mac Mini PPC running MorphOS 2.4
Now: Amiga Forever 2010 with AmiKit and AmigaSYS
Not used: Icaros Desktop 1.2 (reason: no wifi)
Planned soon: an OS4 system
Shortly then: a MOS notebook (wifi is a must-have)

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2009, 01:35:24 PM »
Hi Gabe

Do you take long vacations?  I only seem to run across you every few months.  Grin

Your new Mac CAN act as fast as you think, right?  (No machine is that fast, grin.)  An Intel duo?

On an unrelated topic (I own the thread), did you ever buy that other MasPlayer-like devise?  Did it work?