Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Amiga Kit Amiga Store Iridium Banner AMIStore App Store A1200/A600 4xIDE Interface

AuthorTopic: /  (Read 2769 times)

Offline amigaksi

Re: Why are we at war?
« Reply #60 on: November 12, 2008, 07:44:02 PM »
>...They can use a single branch prediction so we can predict whether a branch will occur or not and that would take care of most of tight inner loops....

That should be "whether a branch will occur cycles or not".  For example, if we were upgrading a 486-type processor (to some theoretical 886) and take the 3 cycles for branch taken and 1 cycle if it does not and put in a single branch prediction in parallel with previous instruction then following code for SQRT(EAX) for EAX=4 would take 18 cycles.

;EBX=FLOOR(SQRT(EAX))
Sqrt Proc Near
Xor EBX,EBX        ;1 cycle
SqrtEAX: Sub EAX,EBX   ;1 cycle
Inc EBX   ;1 cycle
Sub EAX,EBX   ;1 cycle
Jns SqrtEAX   ;3 first time, 0 afterwards, 1 last iteration
Dec EBX   ;1 cycle
RET   ;say 3 cycles

--------
Use PC peripherals with your amiga: http://www.mpdos.com

Offline KimmoK

« Reply #61 on: November 12, 2008, 07:55:48 PM »
It starts from each single person.
MAKE PEACE.

(waiting my HW for the RED and for the BLUE, most likely will use use every possible color there exist in Amigaworld, the original amiga checkmark had all colors anyway... ;-)  The FUTURE IS NOW ! ) :-o  :crazy:  :crazy:  :crazy:  :crazy:
 8-)
- KimmoK
// Windows will never catch us now.
// The multicolor AmigaFUTURE IS NOW !! :crazy:

Offline Atheist

« Reply #62 on: November 13, 2008, 12:04:09 AM »
Hi  amigaksi,

I agree 100%!!!

So much of those UNKNOWN ACTIONS interfere with making a predictable outcome.

That is what made Amiga so AWESOME. It was an ultimately flexible/hackable system, and yet it was just like a console because what was done on one, would happen on every other model.

So, you write an assembler groovy hack, and it worked on all the other machines (A1000, A2000, A500, A600, A3000 and the CDTV), while the A1200, A4000, and CD32 weren't 100% backwards compatible. A disaster! (Even that contributed to the breakdown of Amiga market share.)

What will bring everything all back to where it should be is the NatAmi!!!!

Full OCS/ECS/AGA compatibility. AWESOME!

For example, it'll be like having what is essentially the power of a Playstation 2 (with much more RAM!!!!), but it is ONE HUNDRED PERCENT hackable!!!!!!

NOTHING beats that!
\\"Which would you buy? The Crappy A1200, 15 years out of date... or the Mobile Phone that I have?\\" -- bloodline
So I guess that A500, 600, 1000, 2000, CDTV, CD32, are pure garbage then? Thanks for posting here.

Offline Atheist

« Reply #63 on: November 13, 2008, 12:28:27 AM »
Hi Lorraine,

Why are there so many camps?

AOS1.0 to 3.9
AmigaForever-UAE
AOS4.x
AROS
Amithlon
AmigaXL
MorphOS
Anubis
(did I miss any?)

Simple, actually. Everyone thought they were doing the right thing.

AROS's problem is, every program has to be recompiled.... who is going to do that, and WHERE are the source code for most of the Amiga SW available? Too difficult.

MorphOS. Not based from the original source code.

Amithlon. Does'nt run software that uses the custom chipsets, ist that like more than 75% of the SW that's available for AOS? Probably doesn't run purely assembler written programs.

AmigaXL. Don't know anything about it.

Amiga Forever, to this day, it's MOSTLY compatible. Not enough at all in the AGA realm.

Anubis. Well, it's not Amiga, but something similar. We lose all old SW. Who is going to recreate AMOSProfessional? And a billion other programs?

Only AmigaOS4.x is the continuation of AOS1-3.9, as the original source code was looked at and everything that Amiga was attempting to do oh so many years ago is reimplemented and/or improved.
\\"Which would you buy? The Crappy A1200, 15 years out of date... or the Mobile Phone that I have?\\" -- bloodline
So I guess that A500, 600, 1000, 2000, CDTV, CD32, are pure garbage then? Thanks for posting here.

Offline jahc

« Reply #64 on: November 13, 2008, 02:59:43 AM »
:roll:

Just for the record, this man (Atheist) does not represent me.

Offline benJamin

« Reply #65 on: November 13, 2008, 07:13:42 AM »
Because of the number of people running *UAE having difficulty with their host machine/OS?

Honestly, I've asked some non-Amiga questions here simply because I have a good idea who to trust, if not to give immediate answers then to point me in the right direction (should Google already have failed).

I also remember the early days when all the latest tech. developments were reported here, I had even no need or want to go to Slashdot (for example).

Amiga.org has always rocked!

:-D
Amiga.org - The site for MiniMig support and news.
blakemilesmusic.com

Offline takemehomegrandma

« Reply #66 on: November 13, 2008, 08:12:48 AM »
Why?

Well, Atheist's post above pictures the reason in essence quite well:

Only AmigaOS4.x is the continuation of AOS1-3.9

I.e. an elitist and uncompromising "we are so much holier than you" attitude, "there can be only one, and it is OS4", "only OS4 uses the original source code", "only OS4 has the Amiga name", etc. The point is that this attitude has proved to be so totally mis-fitted, time after time, and outright untrue, and as a result many of the "hardcore BAF's" has softened during the years and turned more into *the pluralists* we encounter here at amiga.org (it's very positive to see that amiga.org with its allowing attitude and pluralistic direction has 6467 members, while for instance amigans.net only has 865 ;-)).
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)