Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Need Gayle Truth Table  (Read 2610 times)

Description:

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
Re: Need Gayle Truth Table
« Reply #29 from previous page: August 19, 2008, 12:19:22 AM »

little wrote:
Because it has no AGA. Real chips would offer better OCS/ECS compatibility than the current core of MiniMig.

Call me crazy, but is there any chance get a hold of the molds used to make the enhanced chip set? I mean, supposing they are not one mile deep in a city trash dump, what else can they be used besides making those chips? Since the rights to that technology has probably expired, it might be feasible.

As far as anyone knows none of the old chip masks exist any more... Plus they would be for an old chip process, I imagine it would be hard to find a Fab that could even use the masks nowadays...

Offline alexh

• Show only replies by alexh
    • http://thalion.atari.org
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2008, 12:25:43 AM »

bloodline wrote:
Ok... well, then... I'd just say use UAE :-)

Probably the best idea.

PCB is only connectivity which is easy. Functionality is much harder!

If it were possible to get hold of the netlist files (the information that went on to create the Masks) then it might be possible to translate from the old technology to FPGA but there is little or no chance that information has survived anywhere.

Offline Dr_RighteousTopic starter

• Show only replies by Dr_Righteous
« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2008, 12:38:59 AM »
@alexh

I understand there are technical and educational hurdles to overcome. Ergo the initial posting. Reading the schematics I see Gayle with her fingers in the way of my optimum idea... And I'd like to keep as much of that stuff off my design as I can. Worst case scenario I have to use ALL of the chipset on a new board. Waa.

Project 1 is to see what I can do with as little of the old chipset as possible. Maybe it'll work, maybe it'll fail miserably. I'll learn in the attempt.

Project 2 is a shiny ATX board with as much new stuff on board as possible with as little old stuff as possible.

MiniMig doesn't interest me. NatAmi has my attention tho, but I suspect a lot of smoke blowing (I'm hopeful tho). That's why I want to work with the real chips.

@Bloodline

If I wanted simple, I'd use UAE too.
- Doc

A4000D, A3640 OC-36.3MHz, custom tower, Mediator A4000D. Diamond Banshee 16M, Indivision AGA 4000, GVP HC+8.

Mac Mini 1.5GHz, that might run MorphOS someday, when the fools who own it come to the realization that 30 minutes just isn\'t enough time to play with it enough to decide whether or not you like it enough to cough up $200.

- Someone please design SOME kind of DIY accelerator for the A4000. :D -

Offline alexh

• Show only replies by alexh
    • http://thalion.atari.org
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2008, 12:43:07 AM »

Dr_Righteous wrote:
Project 1 is to see what I can do with as little of the old chipset as possible. Maybe it'll work, maybe it'll fail miserably. I'll learn in the attempt.

Sounds like you need to butcher an A1200 (or two) to remove these chips and wire patches where necessary. Obviously need to do lots of homework before you start.

Dr_Righteous wrote:
Reading the schematics I see Gayle with her fingers in the way of my optimum idea...

Why? I know the A1200 AA Gayle is quite a different beast from the A600 Gayle. What do you think is in there?

IDE
PCMCIA
Chip RAM (This will be the killer, cannot do without chip RAM!)
CIA A

Offline weirdami

• Show only replies by weirdami
    • Http://Bindingpolymer.com
« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2008, 01:03:09 AM »
...IT JUST RUNS PROGRAMS.

Hopefully.
----
Binding Polymer: Keeping you together since 1892.

« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2008, 01:11:11 AM »
Chip RAM is controlled by Budgie, not Gayle. But there are control lines from Gayle to Budgie as well as to Alice and ROM.

My assumption (bad, I know) is Gayle just receives instructions to activate the other chips. If these instructions can be decoded through a PLD instead Gayle is not needed.

IDE, floppy, PCMCIA, CIAs, Paula (audio)... All the parts I want to replace with the appropriate ZII cards.
- Doc

A4000D, A3640 OC-36.3MHz, custom tower, Mediator A4000D. Diamond Banshee 16M, Indivision AGA 4000, GVP HC+8.

Mac Mini 1.5GHz, that might run MorphOS someday, when the fools who own it come to the realization that 30 minutes just isn\'t enough time to play with it enough to decide whether or not you like it enough to cough up $200.

« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2008, 01:11:46 AM »

weirdami wrote:

Hopefully.

UGH! Nobody saw Short Circuit?
- Doc

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2008, 01:16:48 AM »

Dr_Righteous wrote:

weirdami wrote:

Hopefully.

UGH! Nobody saw Short Circuit?

Ahhh... you win 100 English pounds for that quote :lol:

« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2008, 01:49:33 AM »

bloodline wrote:
Ahhh... you win 100 English pounds for that quote :lol:

Sweet! That's like US$5,000 or something now right? Bloody inflation...
- Doc

Offline Oli_hd

• Show only replies by Oli_hd
« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2008, 02:36:46 AM »
Bringing the thread back from the brink (Short Circuit ffs :) )
Heres a datasheet on Gayle, its not a logic table, as has already been said Gayle contains registers which are loaded with information so it would be a very very long list but the datasheet should help you create the parts of Gayle you need in a much cheaper/easier to get package.

Gayle datasheet

Offline koaftder

• Show only replies by koaftder
    • http://koft.net
« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2008, 02:46:23 AM »
Love the ending of that datasheet:

"19.1 Environmental test conditions
Devices shall comply with blah blah blah"

« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2008, 02:49:25 AM »
Oliver you freakin rock man! Thank you!
- Doc

« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2008, 03:59:56 AM »
WOW! Okay I'm not as worried about Gayle as I was... It looks like Alice actually sends Gayle the signal to activate itself. And Commodore was gracious enough to provide the logic in an "OOPS" to bypass Gayle.

BUT, while tracing back the INT3 signal I stumbled across what Bloodline was saying about Paula. The interrupt (IPL) lines for the 68020 come directly off of Paula!

Okay, now my head hurts.
- Doc

Offline AmigaHeretic

• Show only replies by AmigaHeretic
« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2008, 04:08:38 AM »

alexh wrote:
The "Did we? Didnt we?" go to the moon argument is one of my favourite. I am an amateur astronomer, educated Physicist,  and knowledgeable mechanical engineer and even I am still in two minds.

But this is another thread.

Reminds me of the interview of the guy interviewing Buzz Aldrin and gets ready to ask him the question and you can tell Buzz has been asked it a million times and almost starts to answer it just out reflex.

But the interviewer takes a different twist, "Buzz, so the viewers out there want to know, the Moon, does it really exist?"

Buzz expecting the other question is stumped for a few seconds, starts explaining that of course the moon really exists, it's a scientifict fact.

Interviewer, "Well, there you have it folks, straight from my man Buzz, the moon REALLY exists."
A3000D (16mhz, 2MB Chip, 4MB Fast, SCSI (300+MB), SuperGen Genlock, Kick 3.1)
Back in my day, we didn\'t have water. We only had Oxygen and Hydrogen, and we\'d just have to shove them together.

Offline AmigaHeretic

• Show only replies by AmigaHeretic
« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2008, 04:15:05 AM »
@bloodline

As far as anyone knows none of the old chip masks exist any more... Plus they would be for an old chip process, I imagine it would be hard to find a Fab that could even use the masks nowadays...

I know where you can buy a Fab cheap.  Hynix just closed the one I work for in here in Eugene, Oregon.  I think our 90nm 200mm chip fab is outdated, but funny enough somehow I think it's overkill for some old Amiga chips.

So anyone want to put the Amizilla money towards the few hundred million to buy a fab?
A3000D (16mhz, 2MB Chip, 4MB Fast, SCSI (300+MB), SuperGen Genlock, Kick 3.1)
Back in my day, we didn\'t have water. We only had Oxygen and Hydrogen, and we\'d just have to shove them together.

« Reply #44 on: August 19, 2008, 04:38:23 AM »
LOL! Amiga SoC anyone?
- Doc