Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Next step for Amiga(like)OS?  (Read 9391 times)

Description:

Offline uncharted

• Show only replies by uncharted
Re: Next step for Amiga(like)OS?
« Reply #59 from previous page: July 16, 2008, 06:49:51 PM »

amigadave wrote:

If AInc. had any proof they would have used it and not backed off.  

The mistake I believe you and many other people have made here is equating Amiga Inc's actions with logic.  Nothing that has happened, especially lawsuit-wise has made much sense so far.

The question still remains.  The fact that question has been dodged once again, does not inspire confidence.

Just because nothing has happened yet doesn't mean that it couldn't in the future.  I for one sincerely hope it never happens.

Offline uncharted

• Show only replies by uncharted
« Reply #60 on: July 16, 2008, 06:57:32 PM »

bloodline wrote:

What might have happened?

Something. Anything.  People might actually be using AROS today.

Curse those to idiots who screwed things up for wanting to actually run Amiga software on their new operating systems. (if I was feeling evil, I'd say any software)

Curse those idiots for not bothering to port AROS to the hardware of their choice... and then whinging...

Being open source is not an excuse for being crap.  You can't simply try to direct blame back to the users, when there is something wrong and you don't want to do anything about it.  

You have been evangelising AROS here for 6 years now.  Clearly you want people to use it, you want the community to embrace it.  But whenever anyone explains why the community has embraced MOS and AOS4 rather than AROS, and why no-one outside the little AROS circle of friends uses it, you hide behind the APL rather than engage.

MorphOS and AmigaOS 4 stole all the mindshare, because they had a plan for the future, and most importantly, they worked.

MOS and AROS worked together... I don't get your point, except you erroneously assume that I actually care about the people who whinge that they can't run OS4... AROS is there, the source code is open and free... do with it what you will.

What does the limited co-operation between MOS Team and AROS have to do with anything?  OS4 and MOS both work, they both :-o :-o :-o run software :-o :-o :-o and they do this without the need for the user to have to code half the damn thing first.

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #61 on: July 16, 2008, 09:50:45 PM »

Hans_ wrote:

Painkiller wrote:
I have MOS 2.0 currently installed on my PEG II and I haven't had this good "Amiga" experience in years. The system is responsive, it support modern USB devices out of the box etc. AOS is far behind and it has little to none hardware to run on etc. There isn't a single good program to run on AOS that wouldn't have been ported to MOS or have a better alternative at MOS.

Far behind? I think not. Comparing the MOS 2.0 and AOS 4.1 feature lists, I think that they're in a pretty similar state actually.

Hans

The latest OS4.1 announcement doesn't mean a thing when the entire OS4 effort is as dead as a beaten horse!

As I just posted on moobunny (as *part* of a post): "The only way this can be prevented is by some serious make up sex and renewed marriage vows. And the odds for that happening at this point are pretty slim IMHO. Amiga Inc (whatever that means, if anything, doesn't matter) are going forward with AmigaOS 5 (whatever that means, if anything, doesn't matter). They have fought since 2003 or so to get OS4 back in house. Over time they have realized that this won't happen. Now they just want to get it out of the way, get their money back, and perhaps kick some ass in the process."

The difference between Hyperion's OS 4.1 and MorphOS is the "alive" status and "does have a chance of a future".

I would actually be *happy* to be proved wrong on this (really!), and if that happens, I'll eat the same virtual hat that "ironfist" had to eat when MorphOS 2.0 was released within the announced time frame! :-)

Call me on this when it happens! :-)
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

« Reply #62 on: July 16, 2008, 09:53:17 PM »

Hans_ wrote:
BTW, combining the coding teams from MOS, AOS4 and/or AROS would hit one fatal snag: deciding which bits from which OS to keep.

Yeah, MorphOS got MUI4, Cybergraphics, Poseidon and Ambient. Tough call! ;-)

Offline Hans_

« Reply #63 on: July 16, 2008, 10:03:44 PM »
@takemehomegrandma

AFAICT, Painkiller's post was talking about the technical aspects of the OS.

This whole "OS4 is as dead as a beaten horse" routine is getting really old and boring. Some people have been saying that for years. The fact that OS 4.1 even exists suggests strongly that it isn't dead.

Hans
http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more. Home of the RadeonHD driver for Amiga OS 4.x project.

Offline Hans_

« Reply #64 on: July 16, 2008, 10:08:37 PM »

takemehomegrandma wrote:

Hans_ wrote:
BTW, combining the coding teams from MOS, AOS4 and/or AROS would hit one fatal snag: deciding which bits from which OS to keep.

Yeah, MorphOS got MUI4, Cybergraphics, Poseidon and Ambient. Tough call! ;-)

Ah yes, takemehomegrandma, the "MOS is superior in every way" guy. I don't see Cybergraphics as superior to Picasso96, nor am I all that impressed with what little I've seen of Ambient. Then there are all the other OS components. Factor in the egos, and, BOOM!

Hans
http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more. Home of the RadeonHD driver for Amiga OS 4.x project.

« Reply #65 on: July 16, 2008, 10:18:32 PM »

Hans_ wrote:

Not quite true. According to Genesi the Efika production ceased in September 2007.

This kind of "production ceased in..." statements purposely projects the erroneous image of a *continuous* production that *suddenly terminates*. That has never been the case, be it Pegasos, Efika or AmigaOne. Production was always run in limited one time *batches*. However, no more batch of 5200B Efika's will be produced, that's correct. :-)

Genesi will in a more or less close future want to negotiate MorphOS support for *new* things like this, this (it's based on Freescale MPC8610), these 5, and perhaps even this.

While waiting for tangible hardware to decide upon, the MorphOS team has been investigating this path (be sure to look at that video).

All in all, MorphOS *will* have options post Efika! :-)

« Reply #66 on: July 16, 2008, 10:22:42 PM »

Hans_ wrote:
@takemehomegrandma

This whole "OS4 is as dead as a beaten horse" routine is getting really old and boring.

Maybe it's about time to get used to it?

Some people have been saying that for years. The fact that OS 4.1 even exists suggests strongly that it isn't dead.

Sorry to say this, but it suggests *nothing* else than that development has been continued *despite* the poor legal situation.

Offline Hans_

« Reply #67 on: July 16, 2008, 10:29:42 PM »

takemehomegrandma wrote:

Hans_ wrote:
@takemehomegrandma

This whole "OS4 is as dead as a beaten horse" routine is getting really old and boring.

Maybe it's about time to get used to it?

You can be used to it, and still find it old and boring.

Some people have been saying that for years. The fact that OS 4.1 even exists suggests strongly that it isn't dead.

Sorry to say this, but it suggests *nothing* else than that development has been continued *despite* the poor legal situation.

Sorry to say this, but continued development is contrary to the "dead" status that you claim.

Hans

« Reply #68 on: July 16, 2008, 10:52:43 PM »
Sorry to say this, but continued development is contrary to the "dead" status that you claim.

Maybe Bernie continued Amithlon development as well? For some limited audience, including himself and his family? Who knows?

Offline warpdesign

• Show only replies by warpdesign
    • http://www.warpdesign.fr
« Reply #69 on: July 16, 2008, 11:59:28 PM »

Far behind? I think not. Comparing the MOS 2.0 and AOS 4.1 feature lists, I think that they're in a pretty similar state actually.

Quite true... And seeing you just need a simple (well.. "simple") wrapper to use the apps of one in the other one you can mesure how close both are... And especially how much ressources are being *wasted* reinventing the wheel.

Simply because everyone wanted to control and own his "baby"...

How many apps could we have if all ressources put in OS4 were put into MorphOS apps instead ? (and same for the other way around.. I don't want to enter into some pathetic "they are the legal ones", "this os is the only real one because xx"...)

Offline AeroMan

• Show only replies by AeroMan
« Reply #70 on: July 17, 2008, 12:27:15 AM »

Hans_ wrote:

At least there are millions of Power Macs in existence. My vote would be for a PowerBook/iBook (the PowerPC version), as I would like an Amiga laptop. Both Amiga OS 4, and MorphOS (IIRC) have been shown with beta ports to PowerPC Mac hardware. So it's likely to happen.

Yes, but they are out of production. Don't take me bad, I would love to have an Apple "AmigaBook", but I think this development time would be better spent doing something to a machine we can buy new

Any AOS4 on PS3 wouldn't? :-P

Hans

Yes !!! :-D  :-D But OS4 will not go further than A1, I believe. Unfortunately....

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #71 on: July 17, 2008, 02:58:58 AM »
The dream is to move to intel so that we finally have all the choices in hardware...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline codenetfx

• Show only replies by codenetfx
« Reply #72 on: July 17, 2008, 04:51:50 AM »
Amiga Inc. and Hyperion are holding all the cards in this game and they are unlikely to make any progress. Amiga Inc. is pushing AmigaAnywhere (or trying to). Hyperion is pushing OS 4/4.1 for a platform that is out of production for over 10 years. MorphOS is still unstable on hardware it is supposed to run on. The only Amiga platform which can deliver Amiga is still 68K. And MiniMig. And Natami, once it enters production.

amigadave wrote:
With the court case dragging on interminably and the outcome seeming to not favor Hyperion, perhaps it is time for the AmigaOS4 team to consider another alternative.

I know there is a lot of bad blood between some of the users of AmigaOS4.x and MorphOS2.x, but I am not up to speed on any details of developer disputes between the AmigaOS4.x team and the MorphOS2.x team.  I am sure there must be some animosity between the two teams, but it is a shame that they cannot resolve their differences and work on a common goal and project.  Take all that talent and knowledge from both OSes and create a new Amiga compatible and "Amiga like" OS that is a step into the future for everyone.  Stop fighting each other and work together and maybe something worth attracting the buying dollars/pounds/euros of the few remaining Amiga fans and maybe a few curious Linux users, or dissatisfied Windows users.

I personally am leaning toward getting and using MorphOS2.x, but would much rather see a combined effort which results in something bigger and better than both AmigaOS4.x and MorphOS2.x.

Let's bring the two split parts of the Amiga community back together.

I know that this is all just wishful thinking, but what can it hurt to express it?  Please no "Red" or "Blue" trolls here.
===================================================
2x(A500+GVP Hard drive), A4000/VT, A3000/386SX, A1200/Blizzard 1230 50MHz, A2000/68040/GVP/SCSI/Toaster, A2500/GVP/SCSI, A3000/Toaster, G4 Mac Mac SE30, Thinkpads T40s/X41, Linux boxes...

Offline codenetfx

• Show only replies by codenetfx
« Reply #73 on: July 17, 2008, 04:54:03 AM »
I almost got the Efika board to run MorphOS but then I read a review and learned how unstable MorphOS actually is. Is there a hardware platform that MorphOS runs *reliably* on? (more or less)
===================================================
2x(A500+GVP Hard drive), A4000/VT, A3000/386SX, A1200/Blizzard 1230 50MHz, A2000/68040/GVP/SCSI/Toaster, A2500/GVP/SCSI, A3000/Toaster, G4 Mac Mac SE30, Thinkpads T40s/X41, Linux boxes...

Offline TheMagicM

• Show only replies by TheMagicM
    • http://www.BartonekDragRacing.com
« Reply #74 on: July 17, 2008, 05:07:19 AM »
codenetfx:

uuuhhh.. have you heard of "bug fixes" ?  yea, they're working on it.
PowerMac G5 dual 2.0ghz/128meg Radeon/500gb HD/2GB RAM, MorphOS 3.9 registered, user #1900
Powerbook G4 5,6 1.67ghz/2gb RAM, Radeon 9700/250gb hd, MorphOS 3.9 registered #3143