Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: ppc Amiga (os3.x) + video capturing equipment  (Read 1277 times)

Description:

Offline z5Topic starter

• Show only replies by z5
    • http://ada.untergrund.net
ppc Amiga (os3.x) + video capturing equipment
« on: January 24, 2008, 11:54:24 AM »
In a quest to capture two Amiga PPC demos from the demogroup Madwizards, namely Cruel Karma Forms and Till I Feel You, on video, i am searching for somebody who has:

- Amiga PPC (os3.x as i don't think that those demos are compatible with os4)
- some sort of video capturing equipment + experience in capturing.

It would be really nice if somebody manages to capture those demos on video as the configuration for these demos seems to get rare these days and few of us have actually seen those two demos.
A.miga D.emoscene A.rchive: Relive the dreams...

Offline StormLord

• Show only replies by StormLord
    • http://www.amimac.gr
Re: ppc Amiga (os3.x) + video capturing equipment
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 12:00:05 PM »
Hi z5..

I have read your request at your site (ADA) also

I have the machines and the demos (by the way there are awesome!)

but the problem in capturing them is that the signal the bvision gets out its not grabable by TVtuners or TV equipment, and I 'm not aware of something that can grab 31Khz signal...
the only I can think of (and I can do it) its play that demos on my projector and do a screener with my camera.
except if someone knows how to grab video from 31Khz+ signals

for AGA/ECS/OCS is easy by just conecting a video or a TVtuner grabber on the composite of amigas..

EDIT: Just inform me if screener is enough and I will do it at weekend..

Offline Oli_hd

• Show only replies by Oli_hd
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2008, 12:19:34 PM »
except if someone knows how to grab video from 31Khz+ signals

There are down scanners that let you hook 31Khz signals to TV's. I also wonder if these HD tv's with VGA inputs output the video on scart so they could be recorded that way? (Direct to DVD Mmmm)

As for if anyone has hardware, I have a PPC Miggy and a Vlab card (not in the miggy at the moment though) but I havent used it for long (I couldnt capture the video at anything above about 3fps :-/) so sorry cant help.

Offline StormLord

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2008, 12:44:50 PM »
NO. Tvs don't sent at all the vga signal at scart....

downconverters? any example? because if there are exists are very usefull..
even if they only output composite or svideo, ofcourse the best is an RGB to RGB conversion, but..

Offline Oli_hd

• Show only replies by Oli_hd
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2008, 02:30:31 PM »
downconverters? any example? because if there are exists are very usefull..

Just a quick look on Amazon brought up one with HD output (Component at upto 1600x1200) Click here
but its £39

Ebay had one for £25 but its composite/svid out only here

I will look for a cheap good quality one.

Offline z5Topic starter

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2008, 04:21:40 PM »
@StormLord:

First of all, it's great that you have the hardware and can actually run the demos. I have heard that especially Cruel Karma Forms is great, hence the reason that i still would love a video 7 years after release.

Unfortunately, i can't help on the technical side of things. If it is not too much trouble, then yes, grabbing it with your camera would be a very nice start. I'm not sure what to expect of the quality though. Would it be reasonable? In any case, having any footage would be good. However, if somebody could come up with a solution to grab the signal, then that would be really awesome.

Maybe you got grab a short video with the projector to give us an idea of the quality?

In any case, thanks for giving this a try!

Offline StormLord

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2008, 07:09:00 PM »
OK I will have a screener ready at this weekend... I think the quality will be good enough, the only problem I can think of is that black will not be "REAL" black.
as for sound I will sample it directly in a wav file and then I think someone here is capable to do a simple syncro the video and sound via windows movie maker,imovie,final-cut or premiere, I'm just totaly stupid when it comes to editing. the avi will also have the sound that camera takes, but it will be mono, and bad quality, but enough good for someone to make the sync correct.

Offline CLS2086

• Show only replies by CLS2086
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2008, 08:41:55 PM »
Hum, just a question.
As they were made by Kiero, these demos should work very well and much faster on Pegasos, and with a good old S/VGA converter (that handle up to 800x600) it would be possible to get a good "composite" source ?
They only problem I have is to get a good card to record.
Keep the Faith !
VG 5000/A1000/500/500+/600/2000/CDTV/1200PPC-GREX/1200PPC -ATEO-BV/4060D/CD32/Aone/Peg 1/Peg2 G4/ various funny machines too  :-) http://www.mo5.com/collection/index.php?pseudo=CLS2086
I also repair drives of our old beloved Amiga

Offline Tomas

• Show only replies by Tomas
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2008, 09:10:47 PM »

StormLord wrote:
OK I will have a screener ready at this weekend... I think the quality will be good enough, the only problem I can think of is that black will not be "REAL" black.
as for sound I will sample it directly in a wav file and then I think someone here is capable to do a simple syncro the video and sound via windows movie maker,imovie,final-cut or premiere, I'm just totaly stupid when it comes to editing. the avi will also have the sound that camera takes, but it will be mono, and bad quality, but enough good for someone to make the sync correct.

Syncing it should be no problem as long as the original camera sound is there. I can do it if no one else offered to do that. Just send me a PM or something.
Though.. i prefer that you leave the video audio uncompressed pcm if you use xvid/.avi since i recall there sometimes being some issues with mp3 in vbr. I use cool edit for syncing, so pcm/wav is much easier to work with. Mpeg2 is also fine..

Offline z5Topic starter

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2008, 09:11:38 PM »
As they were made by Kiero, these demos should work very well and much faster on Pegasos

They were actually coded for and on Amiga PPC cards and i never heard that somebody managed to run this on Pegasos (cruel karma forms is from 2001). Maybe something to do with Warp 3D?

Offline StormLord

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2008, 02:14:55 PM »

Syncing it should be no problem as long as the original camera sound is there. I can do it if no one else offered to do that. Just send me a PM or something.
Though.. i prefer that you leave the video audio uncompressed pcm if you use xvid/.avi since i recall there sometimes being some issues with mp3 in vbr. I use cool edit for syncing, so pcm/wav is much easier to work with. Mpeg2 is also fine..

I will have both video and audio uncompressed as it was grabbed if you like.
when I have them ready (I hope tonight) I will send you user/pass and address of the ftp to download it, but because it will be hosted on me, my max upload will be about 100KB/sec
edit: as for cameras audio I don't know what is the format that it records but it will be embeded on the video file , I will also sample the audio seperately

Offline vamigan

• Show only replies by vamigan
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2008, 03:12:42 PM »
Hi,

I don't know if this is a dumb suggestion, but wouldn't a Genlock work for this?

vamigan

Offline z5Topic starter

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2008, 05:23:04 PM »
Stormlord, how did it go  :-D