Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: VIA Nehemiah 1.5 GHz CPU inside Amiga  (Read 3748 times)

Description:

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
Re: VIA Nehemiah 1.5 GHz CPU inside Amiga
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2003, 10:50:32 AM »

yssing wrote:
compare, insert CPU, with a G3/G4 running MacOS, that is not fair to the G3/G4, MacOS runs dead slow on anything.
That is not the CPU, but the MAC.

I think comparing an IMac with MacOS and a Mini-ITX with Windows2000 (and both machines running Reason) is actually a great way to test how the CPU's perform, and I wold have to say the C3 gave me more bang for buck than the G3, I can't talk about the G4 which I'm sure is much better!

Offline olegil

• Show only replies by olegil
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2003, 12:02:40 PM »
I disagree. You're testing OS + motherboard + CPU and claiming the fault lies in the CPU with no real evidence. How do you know it's not the fault of the motherboard or the OS? Or even in the application having been written VERY badly for one platform. I've seen this happen...

If it's slower clock for clock than a P3, it's NOT faster than a 750CX (or at least a 750FX, which is a lot faster than the CX) clock for clock. No way.

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2003, 01:03:35 PM »
That is very kool, not a bad idea at all, too bad Amithlon is dead, it would go great with a x86 Amiga.
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline yssing

• Show only replies by yssing
    • http://www.yssing.org
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2003, 01:08:59 PM »
Well Win2k does perform better than MacOS.

And as for the PIII vs G3, IIRC then G3 is a lot faster, so the V3 can't be faster than the G3.
But I could very well be wrong.

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2003, 01:14:03 PM »

olegil wrote:
I disagree. You're testing OS + motherboard + CPU and claiming the fault lies in the CPU with no real evidence. How do you know it's not the fault of the motherboard or the OS? Or even in the application having been written VERY badly for one platform. I've seen this happen...

If it's slower clock for clock than a P3, it's NOT faster than a 750CX (or at least a 750FX, which is a lot faster than the CX) clock for clock. No way.

Ok sure clock for clock blah blah... but the MAc cost something aproaching a squillion billion trillion squid* and the Mini-ITX only cost £70... you do the maths.

*Actual price exagerated for dramatic effect.

Offline jamesm2

• Show only replies by jamesm2
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2003, 01:49:28 PM »
Ok sure clock for clock blah blah... but the MAc cost something aproaching a squillion billion trillion squid* and the Mini-ITX only cost 70... you do the maths.

But it's PowerPC! And five years ago, PowerPC was waaay better then anything x86! It's just gotta be true!

And the price? Who cares! It's going to be the One True Way for Amiga!

LOL!

Offline yssing

« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2003, 02:26:54 PM »
zealot or zealot not.

If I use x86 I use win on it.
Never did care for Linux, BeOS, AROS, what ever..

Don't care that much for windows either, but since I am making a living supporting and developing for win. well that says it all..

Offline yssing

« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2003, 02:31:06 PM »
Double post..

Offline olegil

• Show only replies by olegil
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2003, 03:06:42 PM »
Ah, so now we're suddenly comparing OS + motherboard + CPU + application + PRICE?

Whenever someone disagree with you and can actually make half an argument about it, you change the topic. Damn annoying, that is...

Why don't you just admit that you are biased and would never admit to PPC being good anyway?

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2003, 03:19:15 PM »

olegil wrote:
Ah, so now we're suddenly comparing OS + motherboard + CPU + application + PRICE?

Whenever someone disagree with you and can actually make half an argument about it, you change the topic. Damn annoying, that is...

Why don't you just admit that you are biased and would never admit to PPC being good anyway?

That's not a fair comment. I think the PPC is a prefectly good architecture.
Ok, I do think the G3 is pathetic and the G4 is qutie good... but the new puppies from IBM should be really good.

And until these new IBM build beauties are avaiable at a decent price I will stick to the Athlon, simply because it gives me a lot of power for a very low price.

My comments have nothing what so ever to do with x86 is better than PPC or PPC is better than x86... because there is very little differeance between them (go on check out their technical documents).  I simple get what ever is the most powerfull for the best price, I have always lived by that, and that is what made me choose thwe Amiga in the first place all those years ago.  :-o

Offline ido

• Show only replies by ido
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2003, 05:10:17 PM »
they show upgraded Nintendo with VIA C3 800 MHz CPU + mini ITX motherboard, running windows and Nintendo emulator.

hmmm? how is that an upgraded nintendo? it's just a PC in a nintendo case...

If such machine is possible, can the "upgraded" Amiga run AROS, Amithlon or UAE?

for all intents and perpose it's just a PC in an Amiga's case... you can (slowly) run on a via chip everything you can run on an Intel based PC. but what's the point, really? how is the Amiga case any better then just any PC case?
--\\"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.\\"

Offline ido

• Show only replies by ido
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2003, 05:18:14 PM »
And until these new IBM build beauties are avaiable at a decent price

don't bet on it. you'll only be able to get them in a macintosh (the kind of which have always been pricy compared to a PC) or in an IBM wokstation (which have thus far been rediculasly expansive - far more then the equivalent PPC macintoshes). by the time bPlan & eyeTech will get them (if at all), they'll allready be outdated... just like with the G4s. Apple and IBM workstations get the top-of-the-line desktop PPC's first, then all the rest. :smack:
--\\"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.\\"

Offline vortexau

• Show only replies by vortexau
    • http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/~vortexau
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2003, 08:18:48 PM »
-vortexau; who\\\'s still waiting! (-for AmigaOS4! ;-) )
savage Ami bridge parody

Offline vortexau

• Show only replies by vortexau
    • http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/~vortexau
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2003, 08:18:48 PM »
-{edit}-
Okay, if I already have this POST, I may-as-well
not repeat myself! (NEW pic follows)
For those who thought the Mini-ATX form-factor is a recent
standard!

-vortexau; who\\\'s still waiting! (-for AmigaOS4! ;-) )
savage Ami bridge parody

Offline Dr_Righteous

• Show only replies by Dr_Righteous
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2003, 02:55:18 PM »
@vortexau

BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! *falls out of chair*
- Doc

A4000D, A3640 OC-36.3MHz, custom tower, Mediator A4000D. Diamond Banshee 16M, Indivision AGA 4000, GVP HC+8.

Mac Mini 1.5GHz, that might run MorphOS someday, when the fools who own it come to the realization that 30 minutes just isn\'t enough time to play with it enough to decide whether or not you like it enough to cough up $200.

- Someone please design SOME kind of DIY accelerator for the A4000. :D -

Offline Hattig

• Show only replies by Hattig
« Reply #29 from previous page: June 22, 2003, 04:19:26 PM »
I have one of those 800MHz mini-itx motherboards .... they suck. However for the price you get a reasonable office machine, and with the saved money you can get a small 15" TFT to go with it instead of a large nasty cheap 17" monitor.

The 1GHz Nehemia ones look a lot better though - but they cost a lot more as well.