Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A1000 S-Video Hack video now on Google Video  (Read 4937 times)

Description:

Offline Olecranon

• Show only replies by Olecranon
Re: A1000 S-Video Hack video now on Google Video
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2007, 03:14:11 PM »

da9000 wrote:
Nice video Adric!

Now if neobitz only made something that could take RGB @ 15Khz and upscaled it to 31Khz :)

Technically the neobitz board shouldn't need to.  All newer HDTV's will upscale the incoming signal to it's native resolution.  Remember..  TVs are different than LCD computer monitors which will display the resolution that you feed them.

Example : I have a 42" panasonic plasma that does 720p.  All incoming signals are converted to 1024x768. If I feed it a crappy 640x480 interlaced signal it's upconverted.  If I feed it a fully digital 1920x1080 resolution signal it's downcoverted.

If you have an EDTV (420p) or an HDTV (720p/1080i/1080p), the incoming signal signal will be displayed at 31Khz.  Progressive screen modes are at least 31Khz.  

HDTV's have scandoublers, deinterlacers, and scalers built in.  

Offline Olecranon

« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2007, 03:25:08 PM »

LoadWB wrote:
Didn't look bad at all.  A pretty professional quality video, IMHO.

I'd hazard to say that a low-end LCD TV is not going to support an interlaced screen without flicker.  I'd hazard that a high-end one will not either, considering that like a regular monitor or TV, the LCD TV is expecting a certain signal, and an interlaced screen falls outside of its expectations.

Any non-prograssive scan video source is interlaced.  All TV's will take interlaced inputs.  If you have a non-progressive scan DVD player, you are feeding your TV a 480i (i=interlaced) video signal, which is 15Khz.  If you have a progressive scan DVD player, you are feeding the TV a 480p signal which is a non-interlaced video signal of 31Khz.  If you have a HD-DVD player which feeds a non-interlaced 1024x720 (720p) resolution, you are actually feeding the HDTV a 45Khz signal.

Offline Olecranon

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2007, 03:30:56 PM »

adric22 wrote:
Can this be installed (just as easy) on an A600 as well?

I have never seen inside of an A600 before.  I am sure it would work electrically, I just don't know if there is room inside.

Adric, could you tell me the brand and model of the LCD TV you have your A1000 conected to?

Also, could you try setting workingbench to interlaced mode and report on how it looks?

Offline Olecranon

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2007, 03:57:06 PM »

JMKurtz wrote:
I have two different boards:

Neobitz - Supports component video, svideo, and composite video.

Neobitz-S - Supports svideo and composite only.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Could you give us some pricing on the two board you have available (DIY and preassembled)?  I didn't see DIY instructions on your website for the Neobitz board.  Does that one come only preassembled?

There is mention of a LM1881 sync component.  Can you explain what this might be used for?

One last question.  I see the Neobitz board has a pad for 5V.  Is this required for the board to work?

Offline adric22Topic starter

• Show only replies by adric22
    • http://galaxy22.dyndns.org/dtv
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2007, 06:48:46 PM »
Adric, could you tell me the brand and model of the LCD TV you have your A1000 conected to?

It was an Emerson EWL20S5.  It is just a standard-definition (640x480) 20" LCD.  However, it isn't mine.  I borrowed it from my dad who lives down the street from me just for making the video.  I am currently shopping around for a smaller LCD TV, such as a 15" that also has a VGA input.   I already returned the TV to him but I am not sure what you are hoping to see in interlaced mode.  That model does support 480p, I believe, but the issue is that the amiga is still always going to output an interlaced picture.  I'm not sure it is possible to have it output progressive scan.

Offline Olecranon

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2007, 08:02:36 PM »

adric22 wrote:

It was an Emerson EWL20S5.  It is just a standard-definition (640x480) 20" LCD.  However, it isn't mine.  I borrowed it from my dad who lives down the street from me just for making the video.  I am currently shopping around for a smaller LCD TV, such as a 15" that also has a VGA input.   I already returned the TV to him but I am not sure what you are hoping to see in interlaced mode.  That model does support 480p, I believe, but the issue is that the amiga is still always going to output an interlaced picture.  I'm not sure it is possible to have it output progressive scan.

Let me try to explain again..

I looked up the specs on that LCD TV.  It has a native resolution of 640x480 Progressive.  It's not an HDTV, It's what they call an EDTV (enhanced definition TV).  

[color=0000ff]Because EDTV signals use a progressive scan, they have about 50% more vertical resolution than interlaced SDTV pictures with the same number of lines, and do not show the spatial/temporal aliasing artifacts associated with interlaced video.[/color]

Basically, this TV (as well as all HDTV/EDTV) has a built in deinterlacer/scandoubler.

The point of my question was to see how the image looked when feeding an interlaced workbench screen into the TV.  This TV Should deinterlace the workbench screen into a nice 640x480 non interlaced image.  This would pretty much eliminate the need for overpriced amiga specific flicker fixers.  

Offline Vlabguy1

• Show only replies by Vlabguy1
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2007, 10:04:19 PM »

eslapion wrote:
The one thing that's wrong about your video is you say you got a neobitz board... it is not... it is it's smaller cousin, the neobitz-S.

The real neobitz converts RGB to component, not to S-Video.

Well there are a few other things wrong with that video..
1. Should be using a vise.
2. Use Micro sheers to cut the excess lead material..not those huge cutters..hehe
3. Probably has some cold solders...using that BURNT solder iron.
4. Some of those solder joints..look like little Santa hats..hehe..
5. The iron was too hot

I didnt watch the whole thing..does it get better??
Were any of the solder joints..cleaned??

Offline Vlabguy1

• Show only replies by Vlabguy1
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2007, 10:21:25 PM »
Just kidding..good show mate!!!.. Nice to see the Amiga on the net..

I might get one of those kits..Thanks for the VID!!

Offline Amiduffer

• Show only replies by Amiduffer
    • http://www.geocities.com/laverdiereaf/
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2007, 03:57:26 AM »
Adric, could you tell me what the hell that round connector is, next to the 23pin RGB port. Its been so long since I've owned an A1000, I forgot!

JRComm, ha! Used to get on GEnie with that.
Amiga 3000D UP and running! Hear that clicking. 8)
Amiga 3000D & 4000D in storage sadly.

Offline da9000

• Show only replies by da9000
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2007, 05:00:52 AM »
@Olecranon:

yeah, I meant so it can be used with a CRT/LCD, not a TV :-) But once I'm the lucky owner of a big HDTV, I'll remember your  words and hook up my Amiga first thing :-)

Offline Waccoon

• Show only replies by Waccoon
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2007, 05:14:22 AM »
Interesting watch.

BTW, thanks for giving credits for the music.  I hate it when people don't do that.  :-)

Offline Olecranon

« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2007, 01:35:46 PM »

da9000 wrote:
@Olecranon:

yeah, I meant so it can be used with a CRT/LCD, not a TV :-) But once I'm the lucky owner of a big HDTV, I'll remember your  words and hook up my Amiga first thing :-)

I dont know about the rest of the Amiga community, but I would much rather purchase a neobitz board and a small LCD HDTV instead of an Amiga Flicker Fixer and a LCD computer monitor.  LCD TV's have multiple inputes, so I could keep all my gaming systems connected to one display.

Offline justthatgood

• Show only replies by justthatgood
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2007, 02:07:34 PM »
Nice presentation of information, steady shots. Informative. It's something that a lot of people on YouTube should learn how to do on their videos.
[color=008000]Pluto[/color]:Amiga4KD- 64040/16megs/1GB WD/PAR 2150/1942/WB3.0,3.1,3.9
[color=800080]Amanda[/color]:Amiga2KHD/A2620/8MegSupraRam2k/A2091/VLab

Offline adric22Topic starter

• Show only replies by adric22
    • http://galaxy22.dyndns.org/dtv
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2007, 03:06:12 PM »
>> Adric, could you tell me what the hell that round
>> connector is, next to the 23pin RGB port. Its been so

That is an audio/video output, which uses the same video connector as the Commodore 64 and Atari 8-bits.  On the C64 it has composite, chroma, luma, and audio available on that port.  But on the Amiga 1000 they only have composite and audio, but the audio is stereo and that takes up the pins that used to be for Chroma/Luma.  Of course, I believe this is the only Amiga that used that port.

>> Nice presentation of information, steady shots.
>> Informative. It's something that a lot of people on
>> YouTube should learn how to do on their videos.

I agree.. So many youtube videos are so amateur, it is like a 6 year old was making the video.  So often youtube videos are blurry, overexposed, underexposed, jerky.. and the audio is usually just as bad.  I always strive for a little better quality.  but there will always be somebody to criticize, like the guy who was insulting my soldering skills.  What he may not realize is that soldering while trying to keep a camera zoomed in on a small section, keeping the lights on the board, staying in the focal range, and keeping obects out of the way of the shot like hands, soldering irons, etc... is far more difficult than it looks.  A 30-second soldering job can take 10 minutes when you are trying to video it.

Offline Fester

• Show only replies by Fester
    • http://www.rdmsnippets.com
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2007, 06:00:53 PM »
Hi adric22,

Where can I purchase the neobitz boards?

I went to the neobitz web site mentioned in the video but couln't find a link to purchase the boards. Did I miss it?

Very nice and useful video by the way.

Offline da9000

• Show only replies by da9000
« Reply #29 from previous page: March 26, 2007, 06:23:47 PM »

Olecranon wrote:
I dont know about the rest of the Amiga community, but I would much rather purchase a neobitz board and a small LCD HDTV instead of an Amiga Flicker Fixer and a LCD computer monitor.  LCD TV's have multiple inputes, so I could keep all my gaming systems connected to one display.

True, but if you already have invested a decent amount in big LCDs.. and don't have a big TV... Anyways, whatever works best for each one of us