Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: An Inconvienient Truth, - Global Warming  (Read 6351 times)

Description:

Offline shillard

• Show only replies by shillard
    • http://www.shillard.com
Re: An Inconvienient Truth, - Global Warming
« Reply #44 from previous page: February 28, 2007, 03:41:05 AM »
Oh boy, it just gets better.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/world/gores-mansion-uses-too-much-power/2007/02/28/1172338670663.html

That puppy just got another kick in the guts.
Ewige Blumenkraft!

Offline metalman

• Show only replies by metalman
« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2007, 04:24:12 AM »
The Goracle says: "Conserve as I say, not as I do."

While Melissa Etheridge was performing her "award winning song" at the Oscar's, text scrolled behind her containing various environmental messages. One said, "Reduce your carbon emissions to zero."

Guess she's recommending that environmentalists stop breathing, but doesn't realize even in death they'll still emit carbon dioxide, until totally decomposed.

Repent, Sinners!
Earn Eco-Salvation the Quick and Easy Way
 :-P
Lan astaslem
The Peacemaker

Offline Dandy

• Show only replies by Dandy
    • http://www.wiehltalbahn.de/en/
« Reply #46 on: March 02, 2007, 07:57:49 AM »

metalman wrote:
Guess she's recommending that environmentalists stop breathing, but doesn't realize even in death they'll still emit carbon dioxide, until totally decomposed.

Although I love jokes and laughing, I'd say this issue is far too serious to make jokes about it...
 :roll:
All the best,

Dandy

Website maintained by me

If someone enjoys marching to military music, then I already despise him. He got his brain accidently - the bone marrow in his back would have been sufficient for him! (Albert Einstein)

Offline metalman

« Reply #47 on: March 03, 2007, 04:14:41 AM »
Little green men in spaceship SUVs are to blame.

Global Warming on Mars
Lan astaslem
The Peacemaker

Offline odin

• Colonization had Galleons
    • Show only replies by odin
« Reply #48 on: March 03, 2007, 01:54:35 PM »
I still wonder what the argument against trying to conserve energy is? Lazyness?

Offline Speelgoedmannetje

• Show only replies by Speelgoedmannetje
« Reply #49 on: March 03, 2007, 02:09:11 PM »
Moan about taxes, while driving around in SUV's wich have a maelstrom in the tank. Nice.
And the canary said: \'chirp\'

Offline Dandy

• Show only replies by Dandy
    • http://www.wiehltalbahn.de/en/
« Reply #50 on: March 04, 2007, 02:25:38 PM »

Speelgoedmannetje wrote:

Moan about taxes, while driving around in SUV's wich have a maelstrom in the tank. Nice.

Whom are you referring to?
All the best,

Dandy

Website maintained by me

If someone enjoys marching to military music, then I already despise him. He got his brain accidently - the bone marrow in his back would have been sufficient for him! (Albert Einstein)

Offline KThunder

• Show only replies by KThunder
« Reply #51 on: March 14, 2007, 08:53:17 PM »
my truck has a 5.7l engine in it but i have towed numerous vehicles to recycling, am i ok?

we have been tracking the earths temp and gas levels for such a small period of time. we can guess about levels in the past and try to use science to decrease our innacuracies somewhat but the fact remains we dont really know for sure if its happenning, if it is our fault and if we can change it.

im all for changing as much as we can. but blindly spouting doom and gloom is going to creat a bubble of hype that will burst eventually.

we have been increasing gas millage and decreasing emissions (here in the us anyway) we will continue. less gas money each month and cleaner air isnt hype it is real and will help us change,

btw i said here in the us because i dont know about most other countries, i know many foreign cars have to significantly modified to pass our emissions standards if they werent specifically designed to be sold in the us.
Oh yeah?!?
Well your stupid bit is set,
and its read only!
(my best geek putdown)

Offline metalman

« Reply #52 on: March 15, 2007, 12:35:58 AM »
KThunder wrote:
my truck has a 5.7l engine in it but i have towed numerous vehicles to recycling, am i ok?

My truck(s):
2.0L Gas, quarter ton
7.3L Turbo Diesel, three quarter ton

Both have been used to haul to the recycling (scrap) yard.
We should get an award pin like when you donate blood.  :-P

But I'd rather have a cut from the "carbon offset scam"
Lan astaslem
The Peacemaker

Offline T_Bone

• Show only replies by T_Bone
    • http://www.amiga.org/userinfo.php?uid=1961
« Reply #53 on: March 15, 2007, 02:16:15 AM »
I heard the temp on Mars(?) is rising like our own. When are these Environmentalists going to pull their heads out of the sand and do something about the energy wasting Martians, before it's too late?
this space for rent

Offline PMC

• Show only replies by PMC
    • http://www.b3ta.com
« Reply #54 on: March 15, 2007, 06:36:14 PM »
Let's take a step back for a minute:

Fact - temperatures are rising

This is an issue we can't ignore because sooner or later we'll get screwed with another New Orleans.  Hell, my home county in the UK at barely above sea level.  Temperatures go up, sea levels rise, people displace.

Fact - we're running out of fossil fuels

We're looking toward new oil and gas fields in harder to reach places.  Sakhalin Island?  We didn't have the technology to get the gas out of the ground twenty years ago.  Now we're being forced to work harder to get the resources we need.

Fact - our politicians appear to be hijacking the environmental agenda

Here in the UK we've had few new roads, a 40% increase in traffic and fuel prices have nearly doubled in ten years.  Most of it due to tax.  Tony Blair wants Britain to lead the way in reducing carbon emissions - fine, except for one thing.  He's {bleep}ting us.

I asked the Minister for Climate Change Elliot Morely why air travel is being encouraged while car use is being discouraged and he confirmed that 10% - yes 10% of carbon emissions are from cars:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/talking_point/4856386.stm

Turns out, that this figure includes not only cars, but busses, trains and lorries.

More worryingly, aircraft on long haul flights which enter our airspace or are bound for non-EU countries aren't even included in "official" stats for air industry carbon emissions (5% and climbing rapidly - and that's just the official figures which exclude the examples I've given.  And Blair wants more airports!).

As long as politicians hijack climate change for the purpose of revenue raising and massage statistics, the general public won't take the message seriously.

Fact - We have stringent carbon emission targets to meet

Yep, again the powers that are are going to screw us.  They want air travel to grow, as it encourages trade and foreign revenues to contribute to our economies.  The private individual is going to subsidize the cost of the growth.  

In summary, I've no doubt that we need to be very concerned about climate change and also the useage of fossil fuels.  However, I do not believe we're going about it in the right way.  We need more investment in cleaner and more reliable public transport - we've had it in the UK - but private rail companies are hiking costs in line with fuel prices for the benefit of shareholders.  Why?

We need rapid research of renewable energy sources.  Why is the UK government not significantly increasing it's funding into nuclear fusion research?  

Cecilia for President

Offline CannonFodder

• Show only replies by CannonFodder
« Reply #55 on: March 15, 2007, 06:49:34 PM »
We need more investment in cleaner and more reliable public transport - we've had it in the UK - but private rail companies are hiking costs in line with fuel prices for the benefit of shareholders. Why?

Greed is good.

We need rapid research of renewable energy sources. Why is the UK government not significantly increasing it's funding into nuclear fusion research?

Probably due to this lot's sucessful publicity over the years
People are hostile to what they do not understand - Imam Ali ibn Abi Talib(AS)

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #56 on: March 15, 2007, 06:49:47 PM »
@PMC

Exactly the sort of politically motivated statistical fudging I was getting at when I said:

The problem with global warming is that the issue has become totally politicised in the worst possible way so that clarity has become near impossible.
int p; // A

Offline twizzle

• Show only replies by twizzle
« Reply #57 on: March 15, 2007, 08:45:40 PM »

free energy,
 type steorn in google and tell me what you people think.

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #58 on: March 15, 2007, 09:11:49 PM »
Looks like perpetual motion to me. Much as I enjoy well established areas of physics getting a shake up, the first law of thermodynamics is pretty damn robust and has stood the test of time.

Its all well and good them claiming to be awating validation by cynics but the burden of proof is really theirs IMNSHO. So, unless they provide a working specimen and the theoretical physics behind it I'm not remotely convinced.

int p; // A

Offline PMC

• Show only replies by PMC
    • http://www.b3ta.com
« Reply #59 on: March 15, 2007, 09:31:18 PM »
Nuclear Fusion and nuclear fission are two separate things entirely.  The former promises cheap energy and reduced radioactive waste having long been a holy grail for cheap and renewable energy.

Cecilia for President