Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Amiga Kit Amiga Store Iridium Banner AMIStore App Store A1200/A600 4xIDE Interface

AuthorTopic: "Men are from Mars, Women from Venus"  (Read 3618 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Karlos

Re: "Men are from Mars, Women from Venus"
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2007, 09:48:22 AM »
Quote

X-ray wrote:

You've been here for a grand total of 5 days and you've got 10 posts, yet you feel inclined to pull me up on that?
I suggest you lighten up a bit.


At the risk of taking sides, AFAIK there's nothing in the TOS  that says you have to have been here more than a certain number of days or have a qualifying number of posts to be offended by something.

@Mel

This wouldn't happen to have anything to do with that parking ticket, would it? :-P
int p; // A
 

Offline jkirk

Re: "Men are from Mars, Women from Venus"
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2007, 01:23:41 PM »
Quote

mel_zoom wrote:
X-Ray:

If I made a derogatory generalisation based on a racist cliche and appended a "smilie" it would not be OK.

So why is it ok if its a sexist cliche?


it is the way of the world. i have been the subject of some sexist cliches before too. you can laugh or throw your own back into the fray. tho it is kinda hard to win when it is a roomfull of women.
The only stupid question is a question not asked.  


Win•dows: n. A thirty-two bit extension and graphical shell to a sixteen-bit patch to an eight-bit operating system originally coded for a four-bit microprocessor which was written by a two-bit company that can\'t stand one bit of competition.
 

Offline mel_zoom

Re: "Men are from Mars, Women from Venus"
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2007, 01:58:17 PM »
jkirk:

This particular cliche is undeserved. My driving insurance is lower than most mens for the same class of car simply because women are better drivers :-P
I love my MX5!
Please pay a visit
 

Offline CannonFodder

Re: "Men are from Mars, Women from Venus"
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2007, 02:14:59 PM »
Quote

mel_zoom wrote:
jkirk:

This particular cliche is undeserved. My driving insurance is lower than most mens for the same class of car simply because women are better drivers :-P


You are allowed to have insurance?
People are hostile to what they do not understand - Imam Ali ibn Abi Talib(AS)
 

Offline jkirk

Re: "Men are from Mars, Women from Venus"
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2007, 02:20:15 PM »
i don't know many cliches that are deserved. they are just embellished truths sometimes to the point of not having any truth at all.

example: i have something on my mind and go get something from the fridge. i look all over but can't find it. i ask my wife where it is and she points to it. all of a sudden this becomes all men can't find things that are right under their noses. but what is forgotten is sometimes she has that problem too.

The only stupid question is a question not asked.  


Win•dows: n. A thirty-two bit extension and graphical shell to a sixteen-bit patch to an eight-bit operating system originally coded for a four-bit microprocessor which was written by a two-bit company that can\'t stand one bit of competition.
 

Offline PMC

Re: "Men are from Mars, Women from Venus"
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2007, 03:34:29 PM »
Quote

mel_zoom wrote:

This particular cliche is undeserved. My driving insurance is lower than most mens for the same class of car simply because women are better drivers :-P


My recent travels to work have required me to brave the A12 & M25 each day and I've made the following observations:

1) A woman will rarely if ever let me out of a side road, women also seem less likely to acknowledge me if I've let them out.  
2) If you see someone driving like a total nutter, cutting you up and/or tailgating then it's always a guy.  The older the guy, the more offensive the car.
3) Younger/middle aged women and older men are more likely to hog the middle lane at 55mph and refuse to move to the left lane, despite it being clear of traffic.
4) I regularly drive down a single lane road with a national speed limit.  I've lately had three instances where someone has been desperate to pull out of a side road in front of me, (causing me to brake hard) yet they've been unwilling to exceed 35mph thereafter.  The three drivers who did this were all middle aged and female.

A male driver is much more likely to drive aggressively, but judging from what I've seen during the last two months male drivers aren't necessarily more likely to drive dangerously.  In short, if you assume that everyone around you is about to do something utterly dumb and drive defensively then you'll stand a much better chance of avoiding someone else's carnage.
Cecilia for President
 

Offline Turambar

Re: "Men are from Mars, Women from Venus"
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2007, 06:20:41 PM »
Quote

mel_zoom wrote:
jkirk:

This particular cliche is undeserved. My driving insurance is lower than most mens for the same class of car simply because women are better drivers :-P


Not true. Your insurance is lower because women have less accidents. Or make fewer insurance claims...
 

Offline X-ray

Re: "Men are from Mars, Women from Venus"
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2007, 07:16:16 PM »
@ Karlos

"...At the risk of taking sides, AFAIK there's nothing in the TOS that says you have to have been here more than a certain number of days or have a qualifying number of posts to be offended by something..."
----------------------------------------------------------

I never mentioned the TOS at all.
I know it is gallant to rush to the young lady's defense but it does make you look silly, considering all the banter we have enjoyed over the years.
Now did you take offence at my joke or didn't you?
If you did, why didn't you speak up earlier?
If you did not, what is your point, other than brown-nosing Mel?
 

Offline Doobrey

Re: "Men are from Mars, Women from Venus"
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2007, 07:45:39 PM »
Quote

CannonFodder wrote:
Quote

mel_zoom wrote:
jkirk:

This particular cliche is undeserved. My driving insurance is lower than most mens for the same class of car simply because women are better drivers :-P


You are allowed to have insurance?


Meow!
Reminds me of one of Harry Enfield's spoof public information films ;-)
On schedule, and suing
 

Offline CannonFodder

Re: "Men are from Mars, Women from Venus"
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2007, 07:46:51 PM »
Quote

X-ray wrote:
@ Karlos

I know it is gallant to rush to the young lady's defense but it does make you look silly


I don't think it makes him look silly.

Does anyone else?
People are hostile to what they do not understand - Imam Ali ibn Abi Talib(AS)
 

Offline Karlos

Re: "Men are from Mars, Women from Venus"
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2007, 08:05:17 PM »
Quote

X-ray wrote:
@ Karlos

"...At the risk of taking sides, AFAIK there's nothing in the TOS that says you have to have been here more than a certain number of days or have a qualifying number of posts to be offended by something..."
----------------------------------------------------------

I never mentioned the TOS at all.
I know it is gallant to rush to the young lady's defense but it does make you look silly, considering all the banter we have enjoyed over the years.
Now did you take offence at my joke or didn't you?
If you did, why didn't you speak up earlier?
If you did not, what is your point, other than brown-nosing Mel?


For feck's sake :lol:

When you jump to the defensive, you really do it fully with both feet. First with her, then with me :-D

That was my first post in the thread, as that was the first time I had read the thread, so if you'd care to retract the assertions. My one comment was that perhaps you overreacted to someone new criticising you and you had no reason to take it so badly.

As for making myself look "silly", I fail to see how. If anything, your initial reaction to a noob member taking some offense to your jibe was far more amusing:

Quote
You will find that I have a very good attitude towards women generally and it is in your best interest to find out something about me before slagging me off.
If you want to get even then you can post a similar joke, I can take it.
You've been here for a grand total of 5 days and you've got 10 posts, yet you feel inclined to pull me up on that?
I suggest you lighten up a bit.


This wee diatribe seems far more histrionic and "silly" than anybody else's remarks here :-D

Whatever would F J Lewis say?

See a frustrated toddler unable to handle a negative reaction to his childish antics, ejecting a dummy in a long arc from his pouting mouth before exulting in a long, ear splitting wail should he recieve one?

;-)
int p; // A
 

Offline X-ray

Re: "Men are from Mars, Women from Venus"
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2007, 09:34:06 PM »
@ Karlos

I'll refresh your memory because you seem to have forgotten or overlooked Mel's comment:

"...If I made a derogatory generalisation based on a racist cliche and appended a "smilie" it would not be OK.
So why is it ok if its a sexist cliche?..."

My response was by no means a 'diatribe.' It was a reasoned, measured comment that was suitable for Mel who has obviously seen fit to have a petty and immature reaction to a post of mine, without having the benefit of knowing anything about me or more importantly, taking it in the spirit it was intended. It was a joke, Karlos, a concept that I thought you understood. It was not intended to be derogatory.

So yes, if I go on the defensive, it is warranted. My first instinct was to tell her to take a hike. Perhaps I was too kind. I won't make that mistake again.
Nobody else complained about the joke, and I can't believe that anybody who knows me on this forum would think I was trying to take a sexist stance.

As to your comment:

"...This wee diatribe seems far more histrionic and "silly" than anybody else's remarks here..."

That's your opinion and mine is different. Mel set the tone and I responded. If you don't like it, diddums.






 

Offline Karlos

Re: "Men are from Mars, Women from Venus"
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2007, 09:42:31 PM »
Actually, I couldn't give a feck :lol:

I just found your reaction highly amusing. Whats worse, the more you explain it and get upset, the longer I continue to do so :-D

Seriously, you seem so narked about it it's killing me. And your'e still at it. Sorry man, it really does come across like a grown man having a kids tantrum :lol:

FWIW, I thought the joke was funny, which will no doubt earn me no brown-nose points tomorrow ;-)
int p; // A
 

Offline X-ray

Re: "Men are from Mars, Women from Venus"
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2007, 09:57:24 PM »
Well I am glad I can provide you with a source of laughter on two counts. Knock yourself out.
 

Offline Karlos

Re: "Men are from Mars, Women from Venus"
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2007, 10:02:23 PM »
[img align=left]http://extropia.co.uk/img/his2.png[/img] You're going to cry...









sorry, that I couldn't resist...
int p; // A