Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The great Mac debate  (Read 1085 times)

Description:

The great Mac debate
« on: September 28, 2006, 02:03:12 PM »
(I just posted this on http://whyzzat.com, but since most of you -- for unknown reasons -- won't join us, I thought I'd ask here too)

Any Mac users here?

Recently, with -- I believe -- the addition of the 9th USB device connected to my machine, all of which are generally needed (printers, keyboard/mouse, Bluetooth dongle, etc) for one purpose or another, my Athlon XP 2800 box is finally starting to act a bit hinkey.  

By hinkey, I mean the keyboard refusing to work on a random basis, the mouse going haywire and "moving itself", the printer refusing to boot, the hard drives refusing to optimize, etcetera..

This leaves me, at age 40, in the middle of an intense struggle between my adult and inner-child.  Nameably these are my options;

A) I spend 3 days backing up, troubleshooting, reformatting, then restoring everything? Cost : My sanity, and my time -- which I never have enough of either.  

B) Do I just go down to Circuit City and buy a new relatively cheap Gateway Athlon X2 4200 machine ($699) and migrate?  The specs are, 2Gb RAM, x2/4200+, 6100 graphics, 250gb hard drive, Windows Media Center edition.

C) Or, do I follow my spit fit and make what I consider the inevitable leap to the Macintosh with Boot Camp loaded so I can dual boot into Windows for work, and roll over to the Mac for real life?  The cost for this leap is roughly $1500.  The specs for this machine is 20" monitor, Core 2 Duo chip at 2.16ghz, 2gb RAM, 250gb hard drive, superdrive, OSX (latest) with Boot Camp and XP Home pre-installed (source : macmall.com)

Some things I've found along the way in this debate;

First : unlike 5 years ago, you can no longer build a comparable PC for $699.  Even paring it down to the minimum, when you consider the purchase of Windows and Office, about the best price I've been able to find is at newegg.com (this doesn't surprise me) for about $1328, shipped, just for a box of parts.  Oh, toss in a 20" monitor and we're at $1700+.  Building, installing, testing, etcetera is all on me.

Secondly : It seems that everyone is going to the exact same Core 2 Duo chip that the Apple chose for their MacIntels.  Even checking the big boys (Dell, Gateway, etc), they're pushing the C2D chip as their high end gaming cpu, so I don't really feel like I'd be in bad company buying the Mac.

Third : I spent several hours at CompUSA playing with the iMac and I must say that it's sweet!  The mouse clicks are different, but no moreso than getting used to Windows over an Amiga.  The one thing I notice is that unlike the Gateway box, there aren't thousands of crap programs like AOL, PC-Cillin, "Gateway Games", Encarta, and all that {bleep} loaded so that you have to spend hours wiping it all out just to have a usable machine.

That, plus I find that I really like the user-friendly software the Mac comes with, and that's before I ever really even get to load anything on it.  Even though it's based on Linux, it's like Linux's more grown up, friendly brother that always steals your girlfriend...

My concern -- and one that's quickly being addressed -- is the software base available on the Mac.  As stated, I can flip over and work on the PC when I need to, but the software for the mac seems rather oriented towards encouraging creativity rather than getting work done.  There aren't as many games available, that's for sure, but I'd still have my PC so I think I'd survive.  :)

The only other concern I have is the "all-in-one" design of the iMac.  What if the monitor / superdrive / whatever dies?

Also, Apple has a hole in their marketing scheme where it's pretty much forcing all the kids to buy Mac minis (which I found to be too slow), the adults to buy iMacs, and the power users to buy Mac Pros (dual CPU tower case Macs) which are really outside the realm of mere mortals because they start at like $2000 and go up rapidly from there.

What do you guys think, and which would you buy in my shoes?  The Gateway, build my own, or the iMac?

Wayne

Offline Speelgoedmannetje

• Show only replies by Speelgoedmannetje
Re: The great Mac debate
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2006, 04:55:01 PM »
Of course go for the iMac, if you got the money for it. I know quite a lot of ICT guys who switched to iMacs/iBooks.
I myself got one of the cheapest laptops available. Also I got quite some USB troubles, but I think the built-in usb port isn't functioning as it should. Because, for instance, I got an USB soundcard wich is fussing around when I am using both my external harddisk and the soundcard at the same time on my built-in usb2 port. But it isn't when I am using my pcmcia usb2 card. Also, certainly usbswitches are a better idea than usbhubs, to prevent collisions.
I'd say try first the cheap solution :-)
And the canary said: \'chirp\'

Offline mr_a500

• Show only replies by mr_a500
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2006, 08:34:50 PM »
I'd go for the iMac. I was thinking of getting the 20" myself (that 24" is nice, but the 20" is the best deal). The main thing holding me back right now (besides money) is the thought that Apple will come out with something even better in a few months. OS 10.5 will be out early next year (end of January?) and I'd rather get that pre-installed. Also, I keep waiting for the next processors which seem to be coming pretty soon. No matter how fast the CPU, modern OSes always seems too slow to me. (but I just own an A500, so what do I know about speed? ;-))

That "mouse moving by itself" problem has happened to me on 7 different PCs at work (desktop and notebook) and 4 different versions of Windows - using the Microsoft Mouse. I think it's a Windows or driver bug. It's pretty pathetic when even Microsoft Mouse doesn't work properly with Microsoft Windows.

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2006, 08:55:06 PM »

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2006, 08:17:32 AM »
Since getting a MacBook Pro... I've only turned my Athlon on once, and that was to copy over some files from it.

BootCamp works a treat, and Paralells VM actually Runs Windows applications at pretty much full speed and integrates them nicely with MacOS... But only Bootcamp gives Windows access to the 3D board... so you need it to play games.

The thing I've noticed since using MacOS, is how everything just works... I don't have to spend a few hours a week just fixing problems... or wandering why my USB keyboard has stopped working... or trying to find the driver CD for my obscure Pro Audio hardware... everything just works no fuss.