Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Another Canadian form Edmonton  (Read 1435 times)

Description:

Offline tonyvdbTopic starter

Another Canadian form Edmonton
« on: December 13, 2005, 02:49:33 AM »
I should probably say hello as I have just started posting on here and havent done the introduction yet.

I live in Edmonton, Alberta. I started using my younger Brothers Amiga 500 when he won it in a cerial box contst in the 80's. I fell in love with its user interface (beat our  old AppleII into the ground) The games were very entertaining. I particularly liked "Tetrix". Several years later after moving out I decieded to buy an A3000T and then bought a Video Toaster 4000 card with 2 kitchen Sync TBC's And I started to do weddings and other videos for people. Shortly after a friend bought an A4000 and was blown away by its capabilities. I was sad to not have the advantages of the AGA chip on my 3000T with the Video Toaster 4000. In 1994 I finaly had access to a used A4000D with a Video Toaster flyer system and snaped it up as fast as I could. I still have that system today and have upgraded it to the millenium package but still am using the Stock 4000D I would love to upgrabe the CPU to a 68060 with more memory but they are way to pricy. I now have a seperate tower for the video and audio hard drives as well for the TBC's I am using all Segate Cheetah video drives (2-36gig, and 4-9.1 gig drives) and a Segate 9.6 gig  Barracudah for audio. The system still ROCKS!:-D

I am now 37 years old and still use my Amiga to play games and work on Videos and 3D in Lightwave.
Amiga 2000HD Indivision ECS
Amiga 4000D towerised OS 3.1 and 3.9 on CF cards
Indivision AGA, Mediator 4000
Video Toaster 4000 Flyer v4.3 Millenium.
202gig of video drive space & 5gig audio.

Offline ManRaven

• Show only replies by ManRaven
Re: Another Canadian form Edmonton
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2005, 04:31:23 AM »
Howdy,
Welcome!
There are more than a few of us on here from Edmonton.
I still use my A4000/060 a lot mostly for ImageFX and Pagestream.
T'care

Offline mr_a500

• Show only replies by mr_a500
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2005, 02:44:54 PM »
There was a cereal box contest in the 80's where you could win an Amiga 500? I could've won a contest instead of saving my money up like a sucker! ;-)

Welcome and good luck on your "upgrabe". :-D

Offline redfox

• Show only replies by redfox
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2005, 02:18:57 AM »
@tonyvdb

Sounds like you have used some very nice systems. :-D

I also live in Edmonton.  I have two Amigas, an Amiga 2000HD and a µA1.

My Amiga 2000HD is still running on 68000 CPU (no accelerator), and runs Amiga OS 3.1.  For a while this was our main computer system at home, even used it over dial-up to access our internet ISP and email.

My µA1 runs Amiga OS 4.0 Developer Pre-release with update #3, and is presently used mainly for internet, and hobby stuff.  (I am not a beta tester, so I'm not running the latest beta version).

Also have a couple of pcs running Window XP, used mostly by my wife and son.  The pcs are the main household machines now and access the internet and email.

---
redfox

Offline jjans

• Show only replies by jjans
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2005, 03:24:05 AM »
Greatings! Great to hear from yet another local Amiga user. I am out in Gibbons, just North of you. I have several amigas as well(A1000/A500's).

My first A500 was purchased in 1986, is still running. I now surf the net with it when the kids are playing their games on the XP Box.

There is an Amiga Users Group here as well you could say hello to at http://www.amicue.org/
\\"Most Xenonites fly imports. Unfortunately yours is a domestic model. Don\\\'t be surprised if the gears work in reverse\\" - Volhaul\\\'s Revenge: Close Encounters of the Sludge Kind.

GVP A530, VXL 30/32, Supra 500XP, A590, A1000.

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2005, 04:32:34 AM »
Hi guys, Its nice to know that there are some Local Amiga users around. Im not very good at troubleshooting my Amiga But I have gotten by. I have had my main A3640 board die on me some months ago but thanks to a person here in Edmonton (He is a regular of the Amicue group) I was able to get a working one installed. I quickly went on ebay and picked up another one just for backup as I did not know that they were a problem.

Offline mpiva

• Show only replies by mpiva
    • http://members.shaw.ca/michpiva
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2005, 04:37:17 AM »
   Hey, it's great to hear from another Amiga user in Edmoton (it seem that there'smore & more of us popping up out here).  I actually don't like in Edmonton but the town of Leduc just south of Edmonton.  I have... hmmm... LOTS of amigas (having trouble counting them all) but I'm most proud of my A1000 (though it's in rough shape, it's MY ORIGINAL AMIGA, bought in 1986 for $2800.. ouch.. sold it in 1989 for an A500, person I sold it to sold it again later, those people let their kids MURDER the poor thing, I managed to get it back and revive it back to life (minus a few pieces such as the cover to the 256k expansion).  Now it sits proudly next to my A4000T)

But I'm also quite proud of that A4000T, Cyberstorm MKIII 060, CybervisionPPC, 100Meg ram, 50Gb SCSI-III HD, Prometheus with NIC.  That's what I use on a daily bases.  And of course I stick WinUAE on any PC I need to use (including the one at work... shhh... don't tell anyone)

Anyway, you should definately come to the next AmiCUE meeting, RedFox is going to be showing off his microA1 (right RedFox?  ;-)  ;-)  ;-) )  I look forward to meeting you there.
-- Michael A. Piva --

"In engineering, there is no single truth, no one right answer; there\'s a canvas, and you paint it your way, only with chips or gates or subroutines rather than actual paint. That\'s the Amiga..."
-Dave Haynie

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2005, 04:46:07 AM »
Sure That would be good to meet there. When and where is the next one?

Offline mpiva

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2005, 06:28:12 AM »

tonyvdb wrote:
Sure That would be good to meet there. When and where is the next one?

Typically our meetings are every second Tuesday of the month.  The nest meeting should be Jan 13.  Go to AmiCUE and click on the "meetings" button to get all the information, including a nice animated map.   :-D
-- Michael A. Piva --

"In engineering, there is no single truth, no one right answer; there\'s a canvas, and you paint it your way, only with chips or gates or subroutines rather than actual paint. That\'s the Amiga..."
-Dave Haynie

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2005, 09:23:44 PM »
Ok, I will try to be there :)

On just one other note. I have a spare Video Toaster 4000 board with 4.2 Software That I have no use for and I have been looking for some sort of memory exspansion board for my A4000D As I have a VT 4000 Flyer system and It needs a boost. Does anyone know of someone that would like to do a swap of the VT 4000 card and the other items listed below for one of the CPU memory expansion cards? Not sure if thats a fair deal but let me know please.

1) a Video Toster 4000 card in great condition in original box manual and 4.2 software.
2) an Opalvision 24bit graphics card with the software downloaded and installed on a CDrom.
3) an amiga 3000T flopy drive in great working condition.
4) amiga 3.0 roms, 2.04 roms and 2.05 workbench install floppies.
And I may be willing to let go of my Digital Personal TBC IV and Desktop RC 2000 remote controler.

If anyone is willing to trade to help my cause I would be very greatful hopfuly someone in my area can help. (Edmonton, Alberta, Canada)

Offline mpiva

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2005, 09:33:04 PM »
@tonyvdb

sent you a pmail
-- Michael A. Piva --

-Dave Haynie