Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Nebie to Amiga on PC  (Read 1738 times)

Description:

Offline AmitarTopic starter

• Show only replies by Amitar
Nebie to Amiga on PC
« on: May 08, 2005, 05:45:30 PM »
Hi guys,
I am an Amiga owner form way back, hint-the name I have gone by for years now, and still have my Amiga 2500.
I want to start playing my Amiga games on my PC. Nothing else. I have downloaded the emulator and read a few things.

So if you don't mind I have a few questions.
How do I transfer my rom to the PC to use inthe emulator?  or is it just easier to buy the roms?

How do I transfer all of my games to the PC?

Any help would be most appreciated.  I only have a few about 20 Amiga games I really want to play on my PC and like amny people have said.  It's only a matter of time before the machine stops working.

thanks much

Offline coldfish

• Show only replies by coldfish
Re: Nebie to Amiga on PC
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2005, 02:57:15 AM »
Amitar, there used to be an Amiga shop in Perth by that name...

Q: How do I transfer my rom to the PC to use in the emulator? or is it just easier to buy the roms?

A: You can legally download the -same- rom version as the one(s) you already own.  ie if you have an A500, you can freely d/l 1.2 or 1.3 depending which one is in the machine.

Q: How do I transfer all of my games to the PC?

A: There are a few ways, (google) I used to do it the hardest way, which was to create the ADF on my real amiga then copy that to a PC formatted floppy using a HD external floppy drive.  Its awkward and kludgy, but it works.  A easier way if you have a quick connection, is just to look for the games on the net.

amiga.supergamez.hu/

Have fun!

Offline Effy

• Show only replies by Effy
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2005, 06:40:27 AM »
Amitar ; you could try to add an Xsurf brandnew ethernet card ?!  :-)

Offline SamuraiCrow

• Show only replies by SamuraiCrow
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2005, 05:06:38 PM »
In order to read Amiga floppies on a PC you would need a Catweasel floppy drive controller unless you convert the floppies to drive images (.ADF) or using a hard-drive installer like WHDLoad on your Amiga first then using a null-modem or ethernet connection to copy the resultant directories to a hard drive image (.HDF).  Copy protected software doesn't work under an emulator AFAIK so looking for your games on a website like Back to the Roots may be your only option.

If you want to run additional games from these websites you may want to get additional Kickstart ROMS by buying the Amiga Forever CD-ROM package.  It also contains special software to let you transfer files between your Amiga and PC easily.

Offline Tomas

• Show only replies by Tomas
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2005, 05:22:03 PM »

Amitar wrote:
Hi guys,
I am an Amiga owner form way back, hint-the name I have gone by for years now, and still have my Amiga 2500.
I want to start playing my Amiga games on my PC. Nothing else. I have downloaded the emulator and read a few things.

So if you don't mind I have a few questions.
How do I transfer my rom to the PC to use inthe emulator?  or is it just easier to buy the roms?

How do I transfer all of my games to the PC?

Any help would be most appreciated.  I only have a few about 20 Amiga games I really want to play on my PC and like amny people have said.  It's only a matter of time before the machine stops working.

thanks much

If you want both a nice emulation package and a easy way to transfer games and rom from the amiga to the pc, then i suggest you buy the amigaforever package from http://www.amigaforever.com/ and a standard null modem serial cable.

You can also just download the kickstart/rom file from the internet. I can send you a link for the kickstart in a private message.

The emulator you can download from here: http://www.winuae.net/

Also there is alot of legal amiga games for download at: http://www.back2roots.org/Games/