Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Commodore is Dead……Long live Commodore  (Read 1965 times)

Description:

Offline AntiriadTopic starter

• Show only replies by Antiriad
Commodore is Dead……Long live Commodore
« on: February 01, 2005, 04:47:55 AM »
This post might be a little bit contradictory to my first post in this Forum. I actually spent some free time the last couple of weeks trying to catch up on 10 years worth of info concerning Commodore’s downfall and the Commodore-Amiga scene after the downfall.

When CBM started out, their agenda was to build a machine(s) that took the then current technology to the limit. They wanted to make an affordable  game machine/computer that would blow away anything else in the market place. They almost succeeded. They built a machine that was easily 5 years ahead of it’s time. Management, not technology was the downfall. The Amiga is well truly dead now. What now? Life goes on. We will use our Amigas until they will no longer do what we need done, or we can no longer get spare parts. Then we will put their dead carcasses in the closet as future antiques and tell our children of how much we could do with a machine that…had so little. I still remember the day when I saw the Amiga 1000 at the first page of a computer magazine in 85’. God!!!!!I loved that machine. The Amiga was at the start, a dream. WHAT ARE OUR DREAMS NOW??? What is what made the AMIGA computer so fantastic? It was the people who program for it , the people who made demos on it and the third party companies who supported the hardware are the real people who own the AMIGA. It is us. No other platform has the user support that the Amiga-C64 has even up to this day. And I am really touched by the effort that some of the people have gone through to make their Amigas keep up with competition for another 10 years. It was the people’s computer - not one that belonged to a nameless, faceless corporation. After I did some catch up listening to some retro tune remakes, read C-64-Amiga news, downloaded some Demos and reading people posting on this forum I finally believe I have found what I have lost for over a decade now. I found my long lost “inspiration”. The same inspiration that drove me from the day of reading that magazine cover in 85’ to became an electrical engineer, an electronics hardware designer, a firmware programmer to what I am right now. It’s the trip that matters and NOT the destination. When I dug up that old piece of A500 hardware out of storage and plugged it in after more that a decade…I was reborn. I felt the same long lost feelings I had over 18 years ago when I had my computer brand new. I remembered the nights we spent in friends houses tweaking with the C-64, playing games, making party music and argued with other “Atari-Amstrad” users who had the best machine.

They have never raised a monument to a person who has quit, but to men who dared to dream and to walk tall above the crowd. Observe the masses and do the opposite. My best wishes to all the die hard AMIGA owners.

Offline Plus4

• Show only replies by Plus4
Re: Commodore is Dead……Long live Commodore
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2005, 01:27:59 PM »

I always worry about these posters....

Am I so wrong?

:-?
Humans were invented by water so it could get up hills

Offline FastRobPlus

• Show only replies by FastRobPlus
    • http://bye
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2005, 03:17:03 PM »

Antiriad wrote:
I still remember the day when I saw the Amiga 1000 at the first page of a computer magazine in 85’. God!!!!!I loved that machine. .

I don't think I understood your post, but I can see at least one thing that you may want to consider:  The Amiga 1000 was the machine that wowed folks the most because it was the closest to being an Amiga. Each subsequent machine produced was more powerful, but less inspired.  CBM was not Amiga.   They were just the best of the bad choices Amiga had to make to produce thier machine.  

Commodore made good consoles and should be remembered for that.  The C64 was brilliant, and the Amiga 500 was the last significant console home computer to be made before the dedicated game consoles took over that space.

Still, Commodore is not Amiga.  There is no need to lament them. The technology would have appeard in some better or lesser form without that company.

Offline c64_d0c

• Show only replies by c64_d0c
Re: Commodore is Dead??Long live Commodore
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2005, 03:22:25 PM »
keep the amiga spirit alive!!

*Commodore made good consoles*

WTF!!! i never heard that commodore did make consoles??? i only knew they did make computers.... you show me the consoles plz!
________
Druze advice
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 05:43:22 AM by c64_d0c »
On schedule and rockin\\\'!!!1!!

Offline lempkee

• Show only replies by lempkee
    • http://www.amigaguru.com
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2005, 03:56:48 PM »
Cd32 ? , c64GS ?

Whats up with all the hate!

Offline TjLaZer

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2005, 04:48:41 PM »
Consoles are also home computers with built in keyboards.  eg:  Commodore 64, Amiga 500, Atari 130XE, Atari 1040STf.
Going Bananas over AMIGAs since 1987...

Looking for Fusion Fourty PNG ROMs V3.4?

:flame: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Offline c64_d0c

• Show only replies by c64_d0c
Re: Commodore is Dead??Long live Commodore
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2005, 07:17:17 PM »
yes cd32 and c64gs is the closest commodore come to a console but are just cripled computers like the xbox, that also aint a console. becouse alot of dumb kids didnt understand the potential of an a500 and only used it to play games, dosent make it a console, a500 will never be an consol.... its a computer!
________
Sex guide
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 05:43:40 AM by c64_d0c »
On schedule and rockin\\\'!!!1!!

Offline Legerdemain

• Show only replies by Legerdemain
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2005, 09:38:39 PM »
yes cd32 and c64gs is the closest commodore come to a console but are just cripled computers like the xbox, that also aint a console. becouse alot of dumb kids didnt understand the potential of an a500 and only used it to play games, dosent make it a console, a500 will never be an consol.... its a computer!

Not that I can't see what you mean, but still I think that there is some major confusion about what people look upon as consoles and not. It is not really that easy to define. Even though XBox has many characteristics of being a cripled computer I can't say that it is anything but a console. Is it that it is hardware architecturewise comparable to a computer? Or is it the hardware that is and can be used with it that makes it a computer? I mean, the Famicom (Japanese NES) did actually support modem and you could use that very modem to do something that is quite similar to what you can do with a PC and todays internet banks. Or is it wether or not the console/machine/computer/whatever is solely aimed at gaming? Where to draw the line?

Furthermore, the kids didn't have to be dumb... maybe they just realised what great gaming potential the AMiGA 500 had? I mean, some people buy PC's to play games (those are most often the ones speding a hell of a lot of money each year to upgrade their system) and some buy PC's to do web related, office related or whatever related stuff. I mean, even though I do realise all the things I can do with a PC I don't necessarily have to do it, no matter how much potential there is...  
Amiga 1200, Mirage Tower, PC-Key 1200, Blizzard 1260/50, SCSI Kit, 256MB RAM, 40GB HD, Mediator SX, Soundblaster 128, Voodoo 3 and Realtek 8139.

Offline Waccoon

• Show only replies by Waccoon
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2005, 01:42:34 AM »
What is what made the AMIGA computer so fantastic?

Good:
Blitter, OS, OS on a ROM chip, software community (PD, Fred Fish), good GUI design, focus on good audio, ability to explore the OS without breaking anything, FUN software...

Bad:
OS on a ROM chip, hardware banging, lack of hardware updates (AGA was a joke), copy protection, cheap manufacturing... and Commodore.

Offline FastRobPlus

• Show only replies by FastRobPlus
    • http://bye
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2005, 01:56:15 AM »
Didn’t know I’d stir up so much controversy by calling the A500 a console!!!  :lol:

I think the disconnect is that there hasn’t been a console computer (defined as an “all-in-one computer with built in keyboard” ) in 10+ years, so now when somebody hears “console” they assume “video gaming console.”

Actually, really, really old timers might be shocked to hear the A500 –OR- the Xbox being called “consoles”, since in the 70’s a console was generally taken to mean a terminal with a CRT and keyboard.  

Can get much more non-gaming than that!

Offline TjLaZer

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2005, 02:11:19 AM »
Rob,

Must also be a US - Rest of World thang too.   But since we invented the "Console Home Computer" we are right.  :lol:

:banana:
Going Bananas over AMIGAs since 1987...

Looking for Fusion Fourty PNG ROMs V3.4?

:flame: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Offline bloodmoney

• Show only replies by bloodmoney
    • http://www.onsite-pc-upgrades.com
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2005, 05:58:00 AM »
Consoles are also home computers with built in keyboards. eg: Commodore 64, Amiga 500, Atari 130XE, Atari 1040STf.

So this means laptops or notebook computers are consoles.
Hmmm seem like these consoles should be $cheaper. :-)

Offline HopperJF

• Show only replies by HopperJF
    • http://www.michael-powell.blogspot.com
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2005, 12:18:47 PM »
People are muddling up "console" with "games console".
A console computer usually consists of a monitor and keyboard to run simple applications or a terminal.
Religion is for people who believe in hell.
Spirituality is for people who have been there.