Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Spinning  (Read 627 times)

Description:

Offline PMCTopic starter

• Show only replies by PMC
    • http://www.b3ta.com
Spinning
« on: January 20, 2005, 10:21:50 AM »
Ouch.  Very, very ouch...

Last night I foolishly signed up for the "Hardcore Power Pacing" class at the gym, as I'm in training for a week of biking in Wales in June.  

The idea is that you do some resistance training on exercise bikes under the direction of an instructor.  

"It'll be a breeze" I thought.  After all, even if I say so myself I'm pretty fit thank you very much.

Wrong.

After 15 minutes, my legs began to burn and I was struggling for breath.  After 30 minutes my legs had turned to rubber.  After 45 minutes I was contemplating suicide.  However I managed the full hour and boy does it sting this morning...
Cecilia for President

Offline Speelgoedmannetje

• Show only replies by Speelgoedmannetje
Re: Spinning
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2005, 12:16:16 PM »
Why spending money and so on a gym instead of just regularly cycling to work or so?

PMC wrote:
I'm in training for a week of biking in Wales in June.  
Niiiice :-)
And the canary said: \'chirp\'

Offline PMCTopic starter

• Show only replies by PMC
    • http://www.b3ta.com
Re: Spinning
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2005, 12:25:43 PM »

Speelgoedmannetje wrote:
Why spending money and so on a gym instead of just regularly cycling to work or so?

Ah!  My bike to work is 4 miles (6km).  Seeing as my part of Essex is famously flat, there's little aerobic benefit to be had.  

I need to work on my stamina as we'll be doing 20 mile + epic rides in mountainous terrain, although I can swim a mile in under 30 minutes and run two miles in under 13 minutes I need to ratchet up the resistance training somewhat.  

PMC wrote:
I'm in training for a week of biking in Wales in June.  
Niiiice :-)[/quote]

Yep, Snowdonia is beautiful in the summer.  There is a small section of trail in Betws-y-Coed that descends through the Gwdyr Forest and opens out onto a view of Snowdonia that's breathtaking because unless you look down at the man-made trail there is absolutely no sign of human activity whatsoever.  Not a single road, telegraph pole, TV aerial or chimney to spoil the view.  

It is the only time in my life I've ever looked upon a landscape like it.
Cecilia for President