Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Shell accounts, Linux, Lantronix UDS-10, VT100, crazy 8bitter  (Read 1296 times)

Description:

Offline redrumloaTopic starter

• Original Omega User
    • Show only replies by redrumloa
Shell accounts, Linux, Lantronix UDS-10, VT100, crazy 8bitter
« on: December 15, 2004, 01:54:04 AM »
I'm looking to buy a Lantronix UDS-10 or 2 to use to get some old 8bit computers online. I figured I'd ask a question in here..

If I was to set up a basic Linux box (Suse), I can log on to it with another computer via ethernet(Lantronix UDS-10) and use it's services such as Lynx, IRC etc?

I missing anything? With the Lantronix UDS-10 I should be able to telnet to a remote shell account, but I'd rather bypass and use a local box, I have a spare ancient laptop I can throw Linux on. I'm not expert but this seems doable.
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!

Offline Hyperspeed

• Show only replies by Hyperspeed
Re: Shell accounts, Linux, Lantronix UDS-10, VT100, crazy 8bitter
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2004, 04:41:50 AM »
Are you putting a C=64 webserver online?

:-D

How do you use a shell account with an Amiga for surfing the net in privacy anyway?

Has anyone dealt with a company providing shell accounts on their machines?

It'd be cool to have Amigas being served by the master C=64 mainframe.

;-)

Offline Ilwrath

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2004, 05:10:24 AM »
If I was to set up a basic Linux box (Suse), I can log on to it with another computer via ethernet(Lantronix UDS-10) and use it's services such as Lynx, IRC etc?

I'm not really sure what you're wanting the Lantronix device for...  

If you have the server (linux box) in the same general area as your 8 bit, why not just run an actual serial cable, configure a serial connection, and skip the Lantronix boxes altogether?  

There's a really neat program called "Minicom" I believe.  There's some more info about it and how to put a C= online with really no extra gear other than a junk PC.  linky link

Then you could just use ole' trusty CCGMS to open a telnet connection.  Wild, eh?  :-)

Offline redrumloaTopic starter

• Original Omega User
    • Show only replies by redrumloa
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2004, 12:33:11 PM »
I'm not really sure what you're wanting the Lantronix device for...

If you have the server (linux box) in the same general area as your 8 bit, why not just run an actual serial cable, configure a serial connection, and skip the Lantronix boxes altogether?  

I could do that, I'll probably try that too. I've been scanning alot of usenet archives and speaking with various individuals on IRC. Seems there are pros and cons to each method. The Landtronix device just seems like such an amazing piece of hardware, I just *HAVE* to play with one! Besides with it I could bypass the need for a Linux box if I wanted.

Besides I already picked one up on eBay. I hope it gets here soon:-) Now to either buy a Turbo232, if I can find one, or make my own adapter.
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!