Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 2GB in a Pegasos II - Yes way  (Read 2049 times)

Description:

Offline LurchTopic starter

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Lurch
Re: 2GB in a Pegasos II - Yes way
« Reply #14 from previous page: June 06, 2014, 12:42:26 AM »
Wouldn't mind getting my hands on SmartFirmware 1.3.99 20061023163101
-=[LurcH]=-
A500 Plus Black 030@40MHz 128MB | A1200T 060@80MHz 320MB | Pegasos II G4@1GHz 1GB  | Amiga Future Sub

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2014, 01:10:22 AM »
Quote from: Lurch;765787
So the BIOS up050404 firmware is 1.1er not 1.2 so not worth flashing as my board is using 1.2.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pegasos#Firmware

They did indeed release firmware updates for *early* Peg2's, but AFAIK that was only because they fixed some serious issues that were discovered post initial HW production runs (and it was "exceptions that proves the rule" in their policy of firmware update releases). I believe that your mentioned "20040405" version was indeed the last public release of a "joint" firmware update (thus making it "the least common denominator"). Later HW revisions post that date had later firmware versions, made for that HW.
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2014, 01:25:29 AM »
Hmm interesting, as I've looked into it further it starts to become a scattered mess of threads with various updates mentioned.
I'm surprised nobody has set up a page with all the firmware archived.
The Peg II is a great board even today, but getting in touch with any of the companies involved is impossible. Emails go not answered.
Seems to be tainted with the Amiga curse? :-/
-=[LurcH]=-
A500 Plus Black 030@40MHz 128MB | A1200T 060@80MHz 320MB | Pegasos II G4@1GHz 1GB  | Amiga Future Sub

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2014, 01:31:20 AM »
Quote from: Lurch;765792
Wouldn't mind getting my hands on SmartFirmware 1.3.99 20061023163101

Yeah, but please note that firmware isn't like "regular" SW running on top of some abstraction layer (so you can't simply ask "please release the latest version to the public", and trust that some non-existing abstraction layer will tackle any incompatibilities); the firmware is hard-coded to particular HW, the firmware is in fact the particular SW that initiates and brings the particular HW up and running, and on top of that, in SF's case, the ambitions were also bigger than being "just a BIOS". I'm sure that if Genesi/bPlan would have thought it would be a good idea to release that firmware for *your* particular motherboard, they would have done it already! ;)

Speaking of Smart Firmware "version numbers"; the "20061107" was even later, and that in turn was replaced by "20070122". But both these were for the Efika 5k2 motherboard! ;)

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2014, 01:49:39 AM »
Quote from: Lurch;765794
Hmm interesting, as I've looked into it further it starts to become a scattered mess of threads with various updates mentioned.

I see little point in this. As a rule of thumb: Your motherboard *does* have its latest supported firmware version installed. Especially so if the SW version (upon boot) say it is "20040405" or later.

The Peg II is a great board even today, but getting in touch with any of the companies involved is impossible. Emails go not answered.

But hey, it was introduced in *2003*! That was a decade ago, practically *three entire (three-year) computer generations* ago! It was discontinued in 2006! Think about that! Is it really fair to demand *that kind* of support this long time after discontinuation? This is far from the "Amiga curse" IMHO. They do however (according to online testimonials) offer repair services still. Isn't that great? I don't see Eyetech or MAI doing that! ;)

Offline magnetic

• Show only replies by magnetic
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2014, 02:02:57 AM »
Quote from: Lurch;765794

First off, bplan DOES answer emails. Have you actually tried or just making things up? There is a thread on here from last week where a guy got his peg2 board repaired by bplan.

Secondly, the reason nobody has posted a list of firmwares is because i'm sure they dont want emails saying "you ruined my computer" because upgrading firmware can be dangerous.
bPlan Pegasos2 G4@1ghz
Quad Boot:Reg. MorphOS | OS4.1 U4 |Ubuntu GNU-Linux | MacOS X

Amiga 2000 Rom Switcher w/ 3.1 + 1.3 | HardFrame SCSI | CBM Ram board| A Squared LIVE! 2000 | Vlab Motion | Firecracker 24 gfx

Commodore CDTV: 68010 | ECS | 9mb Ram | SCSI -TV | 3.9 Rom | Developer EPROMs

Offline magnetic

• Show only replies by magnetic
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2014, 03:58:46 AM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;765784
This is also how the Articia S was deemed "flawless" in some circles...

:p ;)

Hahah Ill say it know like I say it everytime somebody believes the LIES about Articia S that Hyperion and others have said. I was personally at Motorola labs in Austin when I was with Genesi and the engineers behind g4 projects told me that the Articia S was "crap" and "useless" there was actuall a row of TERON (Aka Amiga 1) computers running YDL at the labs!
bPlan Pegasos2 G4@1ghz
Quad Boot:Reg. MorphOS | OS4.1 U4 |Ubuntu GNU-Linux | MacOS X

Amiga 2000 Rom Switcher w/ 3.1 + 1.3 | HardFrame SCSI | CBM Ram board| A Squared LIVE! 2000 | Vlab Motion | Firecracker 24 gfx

Commodore CDTV: 68010 | ECS | 9mb Ram | SCSI -TV | 3.9 Rom | Developer EPROMs

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2014, 04:20:50 AM »
Quote from: magnetic;765797
First off, bplan DOES answer emails. Have you actually tried or just making things up? There is a thread on here from last week where a guy got his peg2 board repaired by bplan.

Secondly, the reason nobody has posted a list of firmwares is because i'm sure they dont want emails saying "you ruined my computer" because upgrading firmware can be dangerous.

Why are you always so hostile :-) Of course I made it all up LOL What a silly notion/thing to say. I've sent email to bplan about firmware and I've had no reply.

I can google a 10 year old x86 motherboard and get the BIOS updates for it. When you download the said updates it states that you may break it, of course there's always a risk. This is why they state it, most times they have an agreement you have to accept.

The firmware updates should be stored somewhere and made available, mostly for historic  reasons.

Look at Video card BIOS flashing, there's a site dedicated to storing all ATI BIOSs. It's common place to flash video cards.

You can even use ATI BIOS editor to overlock at the BIOS level, PC only of course.

I've flashed many a PC motherboard, I've even saved a couple through work that wouldn't post by doing blind flashing.

At the end of the day it's the person who's flashing the hardware that's responsible for the outcome.
-=[LurcH]=-

Offline BSzili

• Show only replies by BSzili
    • http://bszili.morphos.me
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2014, 07:38:06 AM »
Come on, magnetic is just trying to prevent you from bricking your motherboard. Newer firmware versions will not work older Pegasos II revisions. What you can do with PC BIOSes is not relevant to this issue.
Back to the original topic, I googled the part number, and I found Kingston HyperX 2x1GB kits with blue heat spreaders. Do you have one of these?
This is just like television, only you can see much further.