Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Would I be able to play MP3s with an 030?  (Read 5690 times)

Description:

Offline m4rk1z

• Show only replies by m4rk1z
Re: Would I be able to play MP3s with an 030?
« Reply #59 from previous page: February 22, 2010, 01:02:03 AM »
Quote from: save2600;544269
Actually, in the astute audio world, it's well known you can invest in a much cheaper analogue rig and get much more satisfaction out of it than digital spent many times over. $350 for that new budget Rega is enough to blow away ANY digital player I've heard that cost less than $10k. Probably any digital rig at any cost. The two formats simply cannot sound like each other no matter how much money you spend. And yes, I currently have both SACD and DVD-Audio capable players. I like them for what they are (especially 2-channel SACD), but I'm talking in the area of imaging, realism. liquidity, smoothness & frequency response. No comparison to vinyl and the imaging especially is never right in the digital domain. If you have revealing enough speakers, you will find that the bulk of musical information in a stereo recording is squished and mono-like in the digital domain, whereas analogue allows the instruments to float beside, under, above and beyond your speakers.

AND... make no mistake about other formats that have come and gone. DCC for example. That's directly recording 1's and 0's to cassette and was, therefore, a true digital medium. So was the Adam tape drive technology from the 80's IIRC, that digitally recorded data to an analogue tape (metal formulated usually). And then there were a few VHS decks that had the ability to use their video heads, modulated in such a way as to record digital audio. Speaking of that, was the very short lived D-VHS medium (all digital of course)! All of these were superior technologies that went by the wayside partly because of the confusion the industries cast upon the general public during these ever continually volatile digital times. Nobody agreeing on standards and I also firmly believe they were quickly discarded because they are so long lasting. Every industry today wants you to re-purchase their goods. Over and over and over again. Anything that represents longevity must be cast out, else how are these greedy bastards going to continue to line their pockets for "innovation" or not? And that's what it's all about.

What we need and what I desire is a modern tape drive system one a consumer level with near-consumer replaceable parts (capstans, pinch rollers, belts) based on either compact cassette OR reel-to-reel so we can properly store our data or music - just like the big boys *still* do. What the Joe Sixpack consumer is sold today, is by and large, garbage designed to be obsolete as soon as you take it right out of the packaging. It's seriously flawed, sounds like crap, doesn't retain data for any real length of time and is essentially stripping people of the passion we once had for music, photography, gaming or whatever.  

Take the photography industry for example. Who hasn't lost valuable pics yet thanks to the flaws inherent in digital storage? You can't accidentally "delete" a negative the same way. Not to mention all the pics that are purposely being discarded because, all of the sudden, everybody is an "expert" photographer and critic. Psychology behind this phenomenon isn't rocket science, but seems again - most people would rather not recognize or deal with it. At the expense of quality, it's simply too much fun snapping cheesy pics off your phone camera, listening to mp3's on a seriously small wafer and all the other silly things people get a kick out of today. The world is just rife with cheese I guess.  :lol:

, yikes! Didn't mean to get so off topic... to remain on-topic, I would say that listening to a horrible format (mp3) on an Amiga is a futile exercise to say the least. Yes, it may be fun to play around with and experiment (did it myself) as that's always what it's been about classic computing wise, but to sit - even casually listen to music in the background like that, with horrible fidelity... your Amiga is better equipped performing some other worthwhile task. lol  May as well just play a CD back using a SCSI CD drive for superior results. I spent $60 on an external USB soundcard for my 060/Deneb equipped Miggy and was still disappointed in the performance of both the audio AND the "multi-tasking" ability of the Amiga.

Anyone want to buy a SoundBlaster X-Fi that's like new in the box? $40 shipped within the U.S.  :)

Man! I m so happy that someone really knows what he is talking about, so i m not the only one here who thinks MP3 is music (sound) without soul!
:laughing:
Greatly explained about sound coming from 2 speakers making sound in the room like you where at the hall, not mentioning that you can also hear individual musicans sitting nearer or deeper back or at a different height!
;p
save2.6 have you ever tried to record music at VHS or better BETAmax?
I compared them against many cd players and the result was fascinating good!!! I also made some video backup systems to backup all my amiga stuff/discs to vhs tape also (on good high grade ones) for archiving them.
Yes they all work today like many many C-64 tapes that are older more than 20 years and works also very well, i made some copy units for making exact copys of tapes to have them just in case...

Sorry for OT people!
:)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 01:04:45 AM by m4rk1z »
Ex-progamer & very proud owner of:
A500, A2000/60, M1538, CD32, C64C/G/2x1541 II, 2x1581, 2xAR7/8, C128, C128D, 2x1084S, 8xC2N, SNES, 3xCOINUP, XBOX1/360

Offline stefcep2

• Show only replies by stefcep2
« Reply #60 on: February 22, 2010, 03:02:14 AM »
Don't analogue magnetic tapes get fungal growths?

Offline Rebel-CD32

• Show only replies by Rebel-CD32
« Reply #61 on: February 22, 2010, 03:49:42 AM »
Quote from: stefcep2;544360
Don't analogue magnetic tapes get fungal growths?

Yeah, that's what happened to all my tapes. And floppy disks.
Amiga user forever.

Offline save2600

• Show only replies by save2600
« Reply #62 on: February 22, 2010, 04:13:01 PM »
All of your magnetic media? You must live 10 ft. from the ocean and have gotten your stuff contaminated somehow. :lol:

I have a buddy who's in the radio business that has scores and scores of tapes, 8-tracks, reel-to-reel ALL carelessly stored in his damp, dingy basement here in the Midwest - absolutely NO fungal damage at all to his stuff! And I know because I'm always down there searching for that diamond in the rough and bitching about the fact he never runs his dehumidifier!

I think there's a fungus among us....  lol
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 04:15:12 PM by save2600 »

Offline Cammy

« Reply #63 on: February 22, 2010, 06:30:04 PM »
Summer brings the humidity here in this area of Australia, it's permanently like a sauna outside for months on end. This is why everything goes mouldy, no matter how it's stored. The humidity just creeps in and grows mould on everything. I have picked up some lots of Amiga 500s that came with disks from other people and they're always covered in mould too. My whole subtitled VHS colection is useless now because of mould growing in them, thankfully I've replaced most of them with DVDs now. Mouldy floppy disks ruin disk drive heads, too, so I had to order some floppy drive cleaning kits from England to get them to work again.

Does anyone know where we can find an earlier 68000-compatible version of Play16 that will run from a 3.1 A600?
A1200 030@28Mhz/2MB+32MB/RTC/KS3.1/IDE-CF+4GB/4-Way Clockport Expander/IndivisionAGA/PCMCIA NIC
A1200 020@14Mhz/2MB+8MB/FPU/RTC/KS3.0/IDE-CF+2GB/S-Video
CD32 020@14Mhz/2MB+8MB/RTC/KS3.1/IDE-CF+4GB
A600 030@30Mhz/2MB+64MB/RTC/IDE-CF+4GB/Subway USB/S-Video/PCMCIA NIC/USB Numeric Keypad+Hub+Mouse+Control Pad
A500 000@7Mhz/512kB+512kB/ROM Switcher/KS3.1+1.3/S-Video

Get AmigaOS

Offline save2600

• Show only replies by save2600
« Reply #64 on: February 22, 2010, 06:33:11 PM »
That sucks Cammy!

Maybe some air tight plastic container solutions are in order for those that live near the coast or live in similar situations...

And Hell_Labs... quit being as ass already! Cammy just explained what the scoop is over there  :mad:
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 06:51:27 PM by save2600 »

Offline Hell Labs

• Show only replies by Hell Labs
« Reply #65 on: February 22, 2010, 06:44:48 PM »
Quote from: Rebel-CD32;544368
Yeah, that's what happened to all my tapes. And floppy disks.

Clean your house maybe?
A1200 Computer Combat. OS3.0. No accelerator, no fastram, mouse soon. And ebaying it.

Offline Moto

• Show only replies by Moto
« Reply #66 on: February 22, 2010, 06:53:39 PM »
I just threw out about 300 disks because of the same problem.  Florida humidity destroyed most of them.  As careful as I was about my Amiga stuff, there was one summer that my gear spent in a non-air conditioned environment and that was all she wrote.
500, 1200, 4000T