Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Does anyone know if...  (Read 1947 times)

Description:

Offline T_Bone

• Show only replies by T_Bone
    • http://www.amiga.org/userinfo.php?uid=1961
Re: Does anyone know if...
« Reply #14 from previous page: June 03, 2003, 01:32:34 AM »

Wain wrote:
You'll probably find that the port of UAE that OS4 gets is too slow to be usable. If it gets one at all, that is.

What makes you think that??

Because the JIT for UAE is only available in x86, therefore UAE will be even slower than AmigaOS's native emulator. On top of that, you'd need to use the PPC UAE or else face "emulator on top of emulator" bottlenecks.

UAE on a $80 AthlonXP 2500/333 would run magnitudes better than UAE on AmigaOS. It can be done, but it'll be no speed demon.
this space for rent

Offline mdwh2

• Show only replies by mdwh2
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2003, 01:46:22 AM »
What about running OS4 on a PPC A1200/4000? Even though the option to add an A1200 motherboard to the AmigaOne may be gone, I presumed it would still be possible for OS4 for access the chipset if running on an AGA machine - or has OS4 for these machines been dropped?

I don't know if the original poster was asking only about OS4 on AmigaOne, or meant "AmigaOne or OS4".. I just thought I'd ask anyway.

Offline CaldrinTopic starter

• Show only replies by Caldrin
    • http://www.alienhorizons.com
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2003, 01:56:02 AM »
Lol, doesn't matter. You guys are confusing me with all these terms/numbers that I really wish I knew what they meant...

Remember, I'm a newbie, and I wouldn't mind taking the time to learn. Just forgive the stupid questions.

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2003, 01:54:49 PM »
What is...

JIT

x86

UAE

OCS/AGA

chipset

Fortunately I knew what PPC A1200/4000, those are older Amigas, right?

Offline Phantom206

• Show only replies by Phantom206
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2003, 04:05:10 PM »
In my opinion older Amiga games can be played on AmigaOne. I hope to be that compatibility. Or else, to afford an Amiga 1200 with Fast Ram and an accelerator to play the old games, will not cost that much these days... :-D

Offline alx

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2003, 04:21:50 PM »
x86

The family of CPU that is found in PeeCees.  You probably remember the 286/386/486 CPUs - it's the same architecture.  Examples include any Pentium or Athlon.  Other chip families include 68k (classic Amiga) and PPC (AmigaONE, accelerated Amiga, Mac, Pegasos).

UAE

The Universal Amiga Emulator.  Or the Unix Amiga Emulator.  Or, originally, the Useless Amiga Emulator (it couldn't boot).  It's the most popular emulator around, with support for tons of stuff and it can run faster than the fastest "classic" Amiga, due to JIT, which brings us to...

JIT

Stands for Just In Time.  It's a fancy way of emulation, where instructions are cached, and this speeds it up no end.  Newer versions of UAE have JIT, as does ^mithlon.  OS4 will have a built in JIT emulator, for running older applications.  Note that this emulator will only emulate the CPU, not the...

Chipset

When the Amiga was first made, processors weren't exactly fast.  To make a truly multimedia computer, co-processors were used - several different processors for sound, graphics, IO etc.  Together these are called the Custom Chipset, and are what made the Classic Amiga so amazing, by taking load off the main CPU.

OCS

Original Chip Set - the first Amiga chipset, used in the A1000, A500 and A2000.  Very nice for it's time - could display 32 colours at once in "normal" modes, up to 4096 in Hold And Modify (HAM) mode.  OCS was slightly upgraded to the ECS chipset for the A3000/600 and perhaps a few others.

AGA

The last chipset ever produced, used in the A1200 and A4000.  Could display 256 colours at once in "normal" modes, and about 260,000 in HAM.

Fortunately I knew what PPC A1200/4000, those are older Amigas, right?

The A1200 and A4000 were made in the early 90's.  The CPUs the used topped out at about 70Mhz, so in the late 90's PPC accelerators appeared, adding a secondary CPU, at around 200Mhz or so.  AmigaOS4 should run on these.

Offline Cyberus

• Show only replies by Cyberus
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2003, 05:36:47 PM »
@alx
What a comprehensive and well explained answer!
I like Amigas

Offline elendil

• Show only replies by elendil
    • http://www.idiot.fnuck.dk
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2003, 05:52:41 PM »
@alx  What a comprehensive and well explained answer!

my thought exactly.

Sincerely,

-Kenneth Straarup.

Offline Hardboy

• Show only replies by Hardboy
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2003, 07:05:40 PM »
Stil noone commenting my statement about the current version of UAE for WarpOS.

Since OS4 should be able WarpOS to run WarpOS programs, then there allready is a PPC version ready for OS4. And - comparing the current speed of the WarpOS version, then I have no doubt, that the A1, should be able to run ALL OCS games...

« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2003, 09:37:13 PM »
Thank you very much.

*sees* The gods bestow you with +1 Wisdom.

Yay, stat-up! ^_^