Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Ideas: The new Amiga. Yes, it's inevitable!  (Read 6256 times)

Description:

Offline Atheist

• Show all replies
Re: Ideas: The new Amiga. Yes, it's inevitable!
« on: September 01, 2008, 10:47:54 AM »
Hi Beast96GT,

Until AOS4.1 gets new HW, the bestest bet is the NatAmi60 and 70.

IF AntAmi70 becomes an ASIC, EVEN IF only at 900 MHz, it WILL haul ass!!!!

I think that it can compete with at least 2 GHz 32 bit P4s.

However, the graphics and sound can't compete with current vid/audio of today. At 900 MHz the graphics of the Nat70 would be very, very powerful, but todays GPUs have 128 bit registers and the new AMD 4870 has EIGHT HUNDRED of them!!!!!

Amiga's SuperAGA to stay backwards compatible will have to stay at 32 bit. But, can they increase the amount of blitters? I don't know. Or registers?

Maybe there can be a SuperAGA chip made with only blitter and graphics, and 4 could be put on a motherboard and they can operate in SLI mode. They'd each have their own 16 or 32 megs of ram. So, there's 1 SuperAGA (with 68060 , and 3 D core) and 4 more (with graphics, blitter, and 3D core), oh and, did I mention that they'd each have a SIMD unit as well? OH, I forgot to mention, if they had internal L1 ram in the SuperAGA of 4 megs, how about that????

Now, THAT, would be a computer!

And, it's FULLY backwards compatible too!
\\"Which would you buy? The Crappy A1200, 15 years out of date... or the Mobile Phone that I have?\\" -- bloodline
So I guess that A500, 600, 1000, 2000, CDTV, CD32, are pure garbage then? Thanks for posting here.

Offline Atheist

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 10:51:45 AM »
Hi DavidF215,

While a good idea, how realistic is it?

WHO will recode AOS and make the new x86 versions of SW????

Mine IS genuinely within reach when the NAtAmi60 arrives!

And ALL OF Aminet will run on it!
\\"Which would you buy? The Crappy A1200, 15 years out of date... or the Mobile Phone that I have?\\" -- bloodline
So I guess that A500, 600, 1000, 2000, CDTV, CD32, are pure garbage then? Thanks for posting here.

Offline Atheist

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 03:40:09 PM »

bloodline wrote:

But some people here are not expressing realistic desires for a new computer... let alone an amiga...

Hi bloodline,

Well, at least the one I commented on will be made, so I'm happy.

Okay, so they might not go the 4 extra GPUs route to get SLI mode, but it could be made into a 900 MHz ASIC in the future, with enough $$$.

A SUPER Amiga is coming next year, 2009!

I am referring to a >600 MHz ASIC of the SuperAGA.

DISCLAIMER: I am NOT saying NatAmi group of devs is making a >600MHz ASIC, but that it COULD happen.

Offline Atheist

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 04:17:59 PM »
DavidF215 wrote:

@CodeSmith

Regarding NatAmi, I would think for it to have any commercial significance it needs to be licensed; otherwise, what happens when the number of legal copies of AmigaOS 3.x are gone. A license with Amiga, Inc would enable production of additional AmigaOS licenses.

Hi DavidF215,

I believe there are an infinite amount of AOS3.9's available. Doesn't every copy of Amiga Forever come with a full, byte for byte copy of AOS3.9? What you run it on is your business.

Anyway, there are over 5 million AOS roms out there, as long as you own one, you are entitled to some version of AOS, that gives NatAmi60 at least 2 years of production. :-D