Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What the F***!  (Read 21408 times)

Description:

Offline WolfToTheMoon

• Show all replies
Re: What the F***!
« Reply #44 from previous page: January 12, 2011, 12:28:16 AM »
Quote from: Iggy;605981
BTW - What do you think of CUSA and their website? :)

The first one was miserable... This one is much better, but still really not "up there" with the best. But, I did hear that a completely new web page is a good probability in due time.

Offline WolfToTheMoon

• Show all replies
« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2011, 11:41:16 AM »
Quote from: JJ;606093
I can see what he is trying to get at.  been using firefox for years and its gone really realy slow and bloated.

Chrome is what I use most of the time now

Indeed... I prefer 2.x to 3.x when it comes to speed. Even stability was not bad in 2.x. We'll see if 4.x brings it's mojo back...

Offline WolfToTheMoon

• Show all replies
« Reply #46 on: January 12, 2011, 02:09:40 PM »
Visual Basic is not bad at all...

C++ gets more on my nerves.

But the worst of all, to me, is old Pascal(which I was forced to use in high-school).

JAVA rules :). And it will be available on the future WBX, thankfully. CUDA should be interesting also.

Offline WolfToTheMoon

• Show all replies
« Reply #47 on: January 12, 2011, 02:20:30 PM »
Quote from: BooBoo1200;606114
I cant belive anyone is sticking up for this rubbish
Yes Amiga,inc are backing this the license argement is putting money in the Pocket of Amiga.inc
Yes calling it Workbench 5 is confusing and misleading this has nothing to do with Workbench, OS4 is the Offical next Workbench and doing this is very unhelpful

Yes this is just a x86 running linux & emulator for compatiblity

AROS is open source and much more Amiga related than this rubbish.
If you want to Buy a x86 that you could probably build cheaper just because your being told this is Amiga thats up to you.

AROS is outdated as is every other "modern" Amiga OS derivative. WBX will be based on Linux but it will also offer all the advantages of a modern OS.

BTW, AROS hosted is very good on Linux. It shouldn't be too much of a problem to incorporate it seemlessly into WBX for those who want to have it.

Offline WolfToTheMoon

• Show all replies
« Reply #48 on: January 12, 2011, 02:23:03 PM »
Quote from: JJ;606118
From what I have seen of Java the syntax and layout looks identical to C

Never did Pascal, did however, for the very brief time I was there, do Modula-2 in uniy. From memory quie liked Modual-2, which I believe was based on Pascal.

It's based on the C/C++ syntax, yes. But I wouldn't call it 100% identical. Still, for any C/C++ programmer the syntax of JAVA comes very naturally. It's a pleasure to code in JAVA, IMHO.

Offline WolfToTheMoon

• Show all replies
« Reply #49 on: January 12, 2011, 02:26:04 PM »
Quote from: yssing;606120
I dont quite get why Workbench and AROS is outdated.

really...? It's aiming to achieve compatibility with OS 3.1, an OS itself released nearly 20 years ago. It lacks basic stuff that any modern OS offers, like memory protection. It is outdated, make no mistake about it.

Offline WolfToTheMoon

• Show all replies
« Reply #50 on: January 12, 2011, 02:32:28 PM »
Quote from: BooBoo1200;606125
Im glad your company hasnt been allowed to monopolise AROS

I'm not in any company.

If your interested in a modern, small, responsive OS than I suggest Syllable OS. It was partly inspired by AmigaOS but it does away without any of the negatives of the AmigaOS architecture. Check it out.

Offline WolfToTheMoon

• Show all replies
« Reply #51 on: January 12, 2011, 03:04:54 PM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;606135
Uh, Linux is a "modern OS." Which brings me back to a question from earlier: what is "Workbench 5" going to offer that other Linux distros don't, aside from an "uh, it looks like Workbench!" desktop environment?

legal ROMs and seemless amiga and commodore emulation at install.

It will also feature various software, preinstalled and ready to use. By various I mean almost everything will be covered so that it gets as close as being a substitute for Windows as possible...  It will be aimed at ordinary users who had no prior experience with Linux, that is it should be end-user friendly... At least, that is their plan.

If everything goes OK, they plan to move on from being "just" a custom linux distro to being a custom OS itself. Maybe even switching to BSD. But that is a long way to go... small steps first.

Offline WolfToTheMoon

• Show all replies
« Reply #52 on: January 12, 2011, 03:22:46 PM »
Quote from: persia;606146
Ummm, X is 10 in Roman Numerals, I think you mean WBV...

I used X simply because naming is not set in stone yet.

Offline WolfToTheMoon

• Show all replies
« Reply #53 on: January 12, 2011, 03:31:44 PM »
it's not ready for prime time. I've used AROS and it's far, far from being able to be marketable to mainstream users. It lacks stability, software, modern features and it's UI is too old-fashioned(Zune upgrade cannot come sooner really)

I'd be more interested in a Syllable OS(or maybe even Haiku) based AresOne. It's got much more potential then AROS will, probably, ever have.