Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New Hyperion Entertainment Website http://a-eon.com/ - The Mystery Continues  (Read 86057 times)

Description:

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show all replies
Re: New Hyperion Entertainment Website http://a-eon.com/ - The Mystery Continues
« Reply #59 from previous page: January 05, 2010, 11:06:06 AM »
Well, the next piece of the puzzle should soon be revealed :)
int p; // A

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show all replies
Quote from: The_Editor;536490
Page is up

http://www.a-eon.com/6.html

X1000

Interestingly, several people hinted at the XMOS as the possible main CPU originally. I guess they'll be pretty chuffed to discover that they've got one anyway.

The stuff about the main CPU being secret but running at 1.6GHz in testing and being of "limited availability" and "you probably haven't even seen one in the wild" makes me wonder if it may be the pwrficient after all. If that's true, I'd love to know how they got hold of any.
int p; // A

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show all replies
Quote from: Nostromo;536491
"While the entry level is currently well catered for by ACube's SAM motherboard, it is this return of AmigaOS to the high-end that truly ushers in a new beginning."

If the Sam motherboard's price is considered ENTRY LEVEL.

Note that they never said anything about price, only that the Sam is considered entry level, which may be a nod to the performance, more than anything. Theoretically, my A1 is significantly more powerful than the Sam.

How much will this new Amiga cost?

More, most probably. Though you can only hope it isn't too much more.
int p; // A

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show all replies
Quote from: Derf;536496
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titan_%28microprocessor%29

APM 83290 – The first implementations of the Titan core design. Two 1.5 GHz cores with FPU, 512 kB shared L2 cache, DDR2 controller, security engine, multi-channel DMA and I/O engine for gigabit Ethernet, PCIe, USB, RapidIO and/or SATA. It began sampling in October 2009

Possibly. For a 32-bit PPC, where do you think the four DDR sockets fit into that scheme? PAE?
int p; // A

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show all replies
Quote from: sim085;536504
Does a 2 core PPC processor do more then an 8 core x64 Processor?

Unlikely. However, since the only hope you have of running an AmigaOS offshoot directly on such a processor is AROS, it isn't really relevant here, is it? Even then, is AROS multicore capable? (I honestly don't know, not having kept up with it). This machine is aimed at running OS4, which the last time I checked was compiled for PPC. Given the historical design of AmigaOS, it'll be interesting to see how OS4 scales to 2 cores, let alone 8.
int p; // A

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show all replies
Crikey. Only an Amiga user could demand a "modern" GHz CPU class system with SATA, PCIe and... a floppy disk drive :roflmao:
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 07:21:28 PM by Karlos »
int p; // A

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show all replies
Quote from: persia;536599
And paper tape readers!

Wow, that's completely Fallout-3-tastic. I need one of those :D
int p; // A

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show all replies
Quote from: Orjan;536605
Fallout 1/2 had way more class than F3. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3PXiV95kwA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWaTB1LkQhA&feature=related

You're wasting your time, I played all of them and liked them all :p
int p; // A

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show all replies
Quote from: Zac67;536720
The G5 actually used came from IBM...

Indeed. Also, the GN name scheme was essentially Apple's label for the processors. Both IBM and Motorola always used model numbers.
int p; // A

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show all replies
Quote from: LoadWB;537344
I would argue that, technically, x86 is dead.  It exists in RISC emulation layers and x64 is steadily erasing its footprint.

And thankfully at that.  Intel has been flogging that damnedable 32-bit stuff since 1983, meanwhile 64-bit chips have been floating about since around 1990.  It is about time that 64-bit made a strong landing on the desktop.

And as much as people hate Microsoft, it has done something right with Windows 7: in order to obtain WHQL status for a device, a manufacturer must provide 64-bit as well as 32-bit drivers.

That's not really true. The AMD64 architecture is a superset of the x86 one. Of all the x86 features, only 16-bit mode is unsupported in x64 native mode, all the 32-bit x86 stuff is very much part of the architecture still and most of it works when the CPU is running in 64-bit mode too. Hence, you could make the argument that in fact, x86 is continuing to grow.
int p; // A

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show all replies
Quote from: nyteschayde;537609
People who say that just are angry because the format changed. Fallout 3 was a master piece. I love that game. The SDK for it is also good and there is such a huge modding community for it that I can't quit playing it. I think Fallout 3 has made a bigger impression on me than most of the games I've played in the last few years.

He's right, you know. It didn't become Game Of The Year for nothing. I'm still playing it :roflmao:
int p; // A