Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Sholud something like this have been the Amiga's gaming future?  (Read 9803 times)

Description:

Offline commodorejohn

• Show all replies
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
Quote from: Khephren;625844
Although it has gourard shading as well, dunno how intensive that is to generate in software. Certainly plenty od demos do it.
Gourad shading isn't intensive as far as shading models go, but any  model is going to suffer in comparison to flat-shading on the Amiga  simply because you can't use the blitter for fast fills like you can with flat shading. I suppose if you limited yourself to only a couple levels of shading you could divvy up each polygon span into sections of each color and use that, but it'd still be slower.

I'd expect that demos use precalculated shading or somesuch, but I dunno.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline commodorejohn

• Show all replies
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
Re: Sholud something like this have been the Amiga's gaming future?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 03:00:52 PM »
Quote from: Khephren;626241
@Hattig The ARM 2 was  very powerfull chip. Clocking in at 4 MIPS easy, VS the 68k 1MIP. But these are RISC MIPS, ARM2 had a much simpler instruction set (roughly one third the 68k), where you need to combine some instructions to equal one 68k CISC one. So some your throughput on MIPS are combined instructions. Rough comparison might x2 as powerfull. I would not say any more than that.
I'm not going to claim any numbers knowledge, but the "more instructions per operation" thing isn't all that accurate; as Hattig pointed out, the ARM instruction set is designed around that, so many of the "simpler RISC operations" are built right in as options for any given instruction.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup