Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Ordered my AmigaOne X5000 from Amiga On The Lake in USA  (Read 2401 times)

Description:

Offline amigasocietyTopic starter

Ordered my AmigaOne X5000 from Amiga On The Lake in USA
« on: November 24, 2016, 01:02:03 AM »
Excited.... took the plunge and ordered my AmigaOne X5000 from Amiga On The Lake in USA.  First time ordering from them.  So far Aaron seems nice a nice guy and glad he opened an Amiga Shop in USA.  We needed one for sure.

Will let you know how my purchase all pans out.  I look forward to buying more goods from him after I get any Christmas monies.  :lol:

TJ Ferreira
AmigaOne A1222 (Tabor)
AmigaOne X5000

Re: Ordered my AmigaOne X5000 from Amiga On The Lake in USA
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2016, 05:43:21 AM »
Quote from: iCreate;816789
Any time frame on delivery? And did you register with A-EON?

Hoping before end of 2016.  ;-)

I don't think one can register until I get the machine and know serial # for software, etc... ;-)

TJ
AmigaOne A1222 (Tabor)
AmigaOne X5000

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2016, 05:44:13 AM »
Quote from: eliyahu;816790
@AmigaSociety

TJ!!! congrats! i really hope you like the system, and i'll be interested to see how you think it compares with the X1000 you used to have. i love mine, but then again, i never had the X1K. aaron rocks, and i'm thrilled we have him state-side.

-- eliyahu

Been painful being without amiga os system for 1.5 + years.  Will be nice to be back.

TJ
AmigaOne A1222 (Tabor)
AmigaOne X5000

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2016, 07:51:19 PM »
Quote from: slygon;816921
Well, I did it... I ordered my X5000.  Now I wait!

Congrats.  Wonder who will get theirs 1st?  I live on west coast so if you are east or mid, maybe you will see yours before mine?

TJ
AmigaOne A1222 (Tabor)
AmigaOne X5000

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2016, 02:27:35 AM »
Eliyahu, we get the Enhancer Pack with our purchase.  Is part of the sale from AOTL.  :)

TJ

Quote from: eliyahu;816931
@slygon

awesome! i really hope you get to enjoy it as much as i have enjoyed mine. there are piles of software available, from the older 68K titles to newer ones, including commercial software like the enhancer pack. you might find this old thread useful to get some ideas, too.

-- eliyahu
AmigaOne A1222 (Tabor)
AmigaOne X5000

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2016, 05:55:31 PM »
A bit dismayed.... no X5K yet.  Was supposed to ship back on the 9th but has not.  Feeling down at the moment trying to be patient for it to actually ship.  :confused:

TJ
AmigaOne A1222 (Tabor)
AmigaOne X5000

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2016, 02:29:26 AM »
Just received an update.  Mine is supposed to ship tomorrow.  So, unless UPS does not do their job, or decides to drop test it, I should get the X5K before 2016 ends.  :roflmao:

Looking forward to my box O fun!

TJ
AmigaOne A1222 (Tabor)
AmigaOne X5000

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2016, 05:57:06 AM »
Quote from: gertsy;818062
Thats fantastic news. I'm excited for you. Just in time for Xmas. :)

Well after Christmas.  AOTL is east coast and I am west coast.  My guess is it will arrive Friday 30th....  ;-)

I can drink and me merry for New Years and setup my X5K.

TJ
AmigaOne A1222 (Tabor)
AmigaOne X5000

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2016, 03:17:52 PM »
Actually, no... after Christmas.... but hopefully New Year, around Dec 30th.  If all goes as planned.  :laugh1:

I plan on buying more from Aaron when the time comes.  Other things on his website that have caught my eye.  

I also like to buy locally, so as long as Amiga On The Lake sells what I am looking for, I plan on buying from AOTL too.  If they do not, then yes I will order from the various other international dealers.

I live in a small rural area and my main shopping is in a small town.  Normally costs are higher here, but I like to buy locally to support these stores, unless they gouge on prices.  Then I head down the hill to the big chain store.  But most my shopping is local as I don't mind paying a little extra to support local causes and stores.

TJ

Quote from: Iggy;818070
What DO you know, apparently luck isn't a factor as he IS getting his system before Christmas.
But I don't blame you for doubting, Amiga vendors can be extremely slow to ship, often difficult to contact, and ocassionally. a transaction goes sour.
So far though, the vendor has not had those issues.

AND he's in the US!
So again, that is who I am supporting.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 04:00:07 PM by amigasociety »
AmigaOne A1222 (Tabor)
AmigaOne X5000

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2016, 01:15:34 AM »
Received tracking # just now.  Shows the 30th as I expected.  So, hoping UPS is nice... gentle... and gets it here next Friday so I can drink booze, eat like an oinky, and play Amiga OS 4.1FE on my X5K.  

Has been 5 years since I purchased my X1K (Dec 2011) and since selling it 1.5 years ago, been missing out on enjoying Amiga.  Even though I was not an Amigan prior to 2010, for whatever reason, getting one again (like the X5K) is exciting.  Not quite 1980/90s computer exciting but exciting never the less.

Back in the 80s/90s it all seemed to fresh.  Now a-days, computing is not as exciting, but the Amiga platform has come close to bringing some of that excitement back for me.

:)

TJ
AmigaOne A1222 (Tabor)
AmigaOne X5000

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2016, 02:34:12 AM »
Quote from: BCP;818116
@ Amigasociety

"Received tracking # just now.  Shows the 30th as I expected...."  

Interesting, when I received my X1000 in December 2012, a few days before Christmas, I took just 3 days to arrive from Cardiff, Wales, UK.  Why on earth would it take more than twice as long to arrive from upstate New York ?  Anyway hope you enjoy the X5000.  Would be interested to know how you think it compares to your old X1000.

BCP
Indianapolis, IN USA

Because from UK to NY it was air... one day.  Then UPS Ground or Fed/X ground from NY to NY is only a day or two.  Has to get through customs too.

Different when it is UPS Ground all the way from NY to CA.  5 days plus Monday is holiday, Christmas, so guessing UPS is closed.  So Friday it is.  hehe

But AmigaKit does have great rates for shipping from UK to USA.  That I can agree with.

TJ
« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 02:40:35 AM by amigasociety »
AmigaOne A1222 (Tabor)
AmigaOne X5000

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2016, 04:24:52 AM »
Quote from: slygon;818120
@amigasociety

I have my tracking number too!  Same thing... the 30th.... and I agree, I hope UPS takes care of it as it moves across the country!

I won't be home until Sunday, so I expect to hear how your experience is before I get a chance to play with mine!  I haven't been this excited about a computer in a while....

I have a lot to learn on the Amiga.... I just have no real direct knowledge of them.... I went right from the Commodore 64 to PC then Mac... skipped Amiga completely....... always wanted one..... now I will!

-Slygon

Prior to 2010, I never was an Amigan.  1980s Atari 800.  1990s Atari Mega ST.  Mid 1990s and on Mac.  2010 got the Amigan bug.  Still a newbie even after 5 to 6 years playing Amiga but did learn some.  Wish there was a really good Amiga OS Bible but hoping the books from that europe folks that have that 4.1 Emulation book make an Amiga OS 4.1 FE book.  That would be sweet.

But I know some now and can get by OK in Amiga-land.  Sure you will to.  ;-)

TJ
AmigaOne A1222 (Tabor)
AmigaOne X5000

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2017, 02:02:35 AM »
Quote from: gertsy;818604
Well has it turned up yet?

I did.  UPS beat it up and broke the bezel on the front of the case.  Working with AOTL on a claim for UPS.  AOTL was cool and said he would just take care of my case issue and deal with UPS on the backside.  That was cool.

System cables inside were unplugged on mine so was dead as a door-nail when I went to boot.  Opened her up and saw power button and led cables were unplugged.  As noted the case was damaged and the box was a bit beat up so maybe cables came undone during that ordeal.  Plugged them back in and I had life.

Networking card is issue I am working on now.  Not sure what has happened but the NIC does not stay working after a reboot.  I posted my issue over on Hyperion.  Maybe the NIC is bad?  

So for now ordered a new 8169 based NIC and will try a different one as someone else I knew had same type of issue and he replaced his card and was online.  Hoping that cures my issue too.

So a little ruff for my X5K start but will get things sorted out in time.

Glad your X5K is working well Slygon.  I am guessing your NIC is the same as mine.  Mine just has odd problem of not liking a reboot even though Internet Prefs are all the same and were saved.

Take care.  TJ
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 02:31:06 AM by amigasociety »
AmigaOne A1222 (Tabor)
AmigaOne X5000

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2017, 05:14:31 AM »
Quote from: magnetic;818841
Where did you find 8169 boards?

Amazon.  Its a rtl8169sc chipset based NIC.

Buddy of mine that also just purchased an X5K purchased the same card, tested, and sold the issue we were both having.

So I will see if it cures mine too.

TJ
AmigaOne A1222 (Tabor)
AmigaOne X5000

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2017, 06:55:29 PM »
Quote from: mdv2000;819031
If that card works, can you please post a link or NIC brand/model info?  I am seriously considering getting an AmigaOne X5000 and start writing programs for it.  After 20+ years of DOS,Windows,Web and database programming, I want to work on something completely different!

Well Ken Lester is already using this card.  So it should but I hope to know by tonight as my card supposed to be delivered today.

Thing is the card that came with my X5K, a 8139 based, should be working too.  They work for Aaron's X5K.  Not sure if anyone else is having my issue or not.  Ken Lester was and he had a different 8139 than I.  

Could be my 8139 is just a bad card.  These cards are uber cheap these days so I would bet some are just bad.  I made a joke that it seems some of the NICs are from bubble gum machines they are so cheap.  :hammer:

Hoping this Protronix that I have coming does the job!

TJ
AmigaOne A1222 (Tabor)
AmigaOne X5000