Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AmigaOne X1000 booting AmigaOS4.1 Update 3  (Read 19841 times)

Description:

Offline haywirepc

• Show all replies
Re: AmigaOne X1000 booting AmigaOS4.1 Update 3
« on: August 29, 2011, 06:08:15 PM »
If you don't want open critiscism, don't post videos like this its that simple. My windows and linux boxes  both boot faster than that, so I'm pretty sure morphos boots faster than that too.

Booting speed is not something I usually care about, but considering how much this thing will be crashing, I think fast boot speed is probably a good feature to work on.

:roflmao:

Offline haywirepc

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 01:49:25 AM »
Tripitaka,

I am an aros guy for the record. I'm not sure why you expect me to go ra ra for a 2ghz powerpc computer. I had a powermac that beat that 5 years ago, and it could use all cores/processors, unlike this pile of outdated tech.

Just because someone is critical of something, don't hate on them. Especially when they are right. I simply think paying 2500$ for 5 year old speed computer is stupid, and I'm sure I'm not alone.

AOS will die a slow death because of lack of decent hardware unless they port to x86 or arm at least. BTW, Aros already runs on both.

My current AROS box is 3.4ghz and can run rings around this x1000 on just any ANY test imaginable. You can get one for 50 bucks on ebay.
Kinda beats 2500$ in my view, and the os is open, and not run by *******s with no vision and no sense of reality. And BTW you know AROS right? Thats the thing those AOS4 coders keep taking code from without sharing their own work or open sourcing their own developments so everyone can benefit.

Steven

Offline haywirepc

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 02:09:33 AM »
Hey I wish them the best, I simply think they've made major mistakes and continue to blunder what could have been a fantastic opportunity for them. I'm entitled to my opinion, and I'm sorry if you don't like it.

Your right AROS does not yet support multiple cores (but may soon) Still, my 3.4ghz box runs rings around anything aos has, including the x1000 which is still not here yet and thats not opinion, thats a fact.

Speed doesn't matter? Okay, then why aren't you still using your first 2mhz 8 bit computer? Of course speed matters, its the most important thing in a computer and determines what work the computer can do in reasonable timeframes.

Steven

Offline haywirepc

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 02:13:45 AM »
commodorejohn, Yes I agree and it wouldn't take that major an effort, at least not as major as porting to x86. Ignoring all those fantastic power pc which are now cheap machines and building your own motherboard is one of the blunders I think they made. Quad core g5's smoke this x1000 like crazy, and they are how many years old now?

Steven

Offline haywirepc

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 09:48:04 AM »
Your right I made assumptions about how much it will crash based on my own personal experience with amigaone hardware and os4 crashing alot. If it crashed so much on hardware thats been around for so long, I have no confidence in it running any better on brand new hardware.

I can wish them the best but still have an opinion. All you AOS fanboys are funny. I'm stating facts when I say 3.4ghz intel chip smokes a 2ghz powerpc chip in any test or benchmark you can throw at it. Try it, I HAVE and I know I'm right.

I'm stating facts when I say you can buy a 3.4ghz intel pc for 50 bucks on ebay that smokes any 2ghz powerpc based system that costs ALOT more, especially when you put a 50$ system against a 2500$ x1000.

You can argue anything you like, but you can not dispute these facts. They are inconvienant facts if you are a fan boy, but they are facts still.

I know why some amiga people believe cpu speed is not the end all determiner of a systems speed/usefulness its because of classic amigas with their tightly integrated hardware/software and custom chips. I remember myself my amiga 500 with stock 8mhz 68000 running rings around 486 computers of the time. Unfortunately, **** just isn't like that anymore. The custom chips are gone, Tight hardware/software integration and talking directly to the hardware is gone too so CPU speed really is the most important thing now.

Steven

Offline haywirepc

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 12:07:13 PM »
Your right and I don't care that it dosn't. AROS is fine for me.

Steven

Offline haywirepc

• Show all replies
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2011, 02:09:43 PM »
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajlwalker
Here's another fact for you Steven. Your $50 PC doesn't run OS4.

Another advantage!

Offline haywirepc

• Show all replies
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2011, 03:27:32 PM »
The future of arm indeed looks bright. I think nvidia just may be right about it being an intel killer, especially if the price versus performance issue is what it appears it will be.

Would be nice to see a 20 or 30 core or processor based arm desktop. Considering the prices this will be likely in less time than you think.

Steven

Offline haywirepc

• Show all replies
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2011, 09:32:19 AM »
I think the aros folks are usually pretty helpful at aros-exec.org. I'm sorry if you had a bad experience. I don't see anyone demeaning anyone there.

You seem pretty knowledgeable about amithlon and other amiga things. I'm sure the aros community would like to have another supporter.

you can always ask questions here or over at aros-exec.org.

Steven