Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Apollo Team announces the Vampire V4  (Read 72238 times)

Description:

Offline Gulliver

Re: Apollo Team announces the Vampire V4
« on: August 10, 2017, 04:34:31 AM »
Quote from: ferrellsl;829313
So psxphill's comments about accelerating software that doesn't exist are patently false.

So then 4 pieces of software is a lot! :D

Its the second coming...

Offline Gulliver

« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2017, 06:51:22 AM »
Quote from: ferrellsl;829317
I'm surprised you can count that high. And actually it was 5 apps, not 4. That was just a sample of the new software that's out there for the Vampire. There's quite a bit more.  And you're obviously too lazy to even go and check out what's available at the Vampire forums so you should really just stop showing your ignorance now.  You're only embarrassing yourself, if that's even possible.

And yes, the five packages I listed ARE quite a lot when compared to what's been developed for NG Amigas in the past 10 years or so....and classics too.

So, you count as valid a 1 level demo of a game that hasnt been finished and is known to be that way since about 5 years. :D

If you havent noticed, there is a place called Aminet, that has seen quite a lot releases for the last 10 years for both Classics and NG. And then you have OS4Depot and the MOS repository, and besides that, there is more stuff that is only released on many developers personal webpages.

But hey, you are right, 4 is a lot! :D

Offline Gulliver

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2017, 07:47:08 AM »
So it is still a game demo that hasnt been finished.

I do code for the Amiga. But that doesnt make me or anyone else a better person, nor makes any arguments more right.

I dont care much about OS4, but where you are wrong is that the OS4 community, which I dont belong/identify with, has certainly released tons of stuff for their platform and some of it is interesting. And it is certainly more than 4 recompiled packages.

It is good that you are excited after 24 years, but it seems your passion is clouding your judgement.
Anyway it is your life, you seem to be a grown up man, and your entitled to believe in the second coming as you wish to.

Offline Gulliver

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2017, 08:06:52 AM »
But, you are the "Cult Member" :D

I have no ego issues. I didnt need to belittle your arguments by separating coders from non coders. I am sorry colleague :D

Offline Gulliver

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2017, 08:18:55 AM »
There is no name calling nor bad wishes against you.
It is just a dissagreement between two people, nothing serious. Live with it.
I think you missinterpret my postings.
Anyway I wish you well.

Offline Gulliver

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2017, 08:27:29 PM »
@Wayne

Yes, it is true, with an old OS there is no reasonable point in new hardware beyond hobbysts.

But then its objective is to be a commercial endeavour, and as such it will work as long as people are willing to buy.

Many people have already pointed out many alternative compatible hardware FPGA choices which are indeed much cheaper, like the one you propose.

But then, if someone is willing to pay for something expensive, then there will allways be someone eager to sell exactly that.

Offline Gulliver

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2017, 01:31:46 AM »
If you feel emotionally attached to Amiga hardware, the Apollo core on a Vampire V2 is a good choice.
If you are looking for speed then Amithlon or Aros are better options. A PC with UAE is not only much faster, but more compatible than anything else.
MorphOS on a Mac is also a pretty decent choice in this regard.
If you are looking for cost efficient standalone hardware, you have the FPGA Arcade and the Mist. And even a Raperri Pi might do the trick.

So the good thing is that there are choices for everyone.
The Apollo-Core sure has its place and merits, the most important being a fast hack on Amiga hardware in a time where new 68060 accelerators are non existant.
The bad thing about it, as kolla has been mentioning, is the exagerated claims on what it can actually deliver.

And of course it doesnt help that the project leader has a lot of communication issues, despite the good will of its team and its community.

Offline Gulliver

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2017, 03:33:44 PM »
Great video.

Thanks

Offline Gulliver

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2017, 01:24:20 PM »
No embedded commercial endeavour and no hope for any asic will even surface if the Apollo core doesnt get rid of Intel and Motorola (now NXP) instructions (AMMX and ColdFire).

If you have a company will you use a design that will cause you an assured lawsuit?

Would you invest hundreds of thousands dollars for an asic on a design that infringes the IP of two of the biggest industry leaders, so they can sue you till death?

They havent sued Apollo guys yet, because their design is sold in a tiny niche on a very small market, that is why they have gone under the radar. And also there is still not much money to make out of them yet if they sue them right now.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 01:27:15 PM by Gulliver »