Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: are we still sharing crazy ebay postings?  (Read 112682 times)

Description:

Offline LoadWB

• Show all replies
Re: are we still sharing crazy ebay postings?
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2015, 04:14:14 AM »
You'd be surprised at the number of items which get re-listed at higher prices.  Some people are real rubes.  Then there's the guy about six months ago who was flogging his Atari 1040ST -- started at $550, then $475, then $425, then $350, then $225 (IIRC,) then $150 when it finally sold on a best offer.

*sigh*  I don't know why, but I feel compelled to get an ST or Falcon.  I can't imagine I would actually use it for anything, though.

Offline LoadWB

• Show all replies
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2015, 01:50:03 AM »
Quote from: Oldsmobile_Mike;795863
I still have an original C64 box in my closet.  Could never bring myself to toss it.  Maybe if I wait a little longer it'll be worth its weight in gold!  :D

Worth its weight in something, anyway :P

Offline LoadWB

• Show all replies
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2015, 06:42:02 AM »
Quote from: Oldsmobile_Mike;799145
What do you guys thing this will wind up going for?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Commodore-Amiga-CDTV-CD-1000-w-Original-Box-and-Packaging-VERY-NICE-/281826409358

It ended but seems to have not sold at $545.99.  I'm not certain that's such a bad price.

Offline LoadWB

• Show all replies
« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2015, 01:50:34 AM »
Quote from: djos;800066
I feel sorry for you guy's living in the US not having universal health care, you get totally rogered by big biz interests!!

So many assumptions made in one post.

Offline LoadWB

• Show all replies
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2015, 04:06:54 AM »
Quote from: djos;800071
I could be rude back but I wont - I'll put it down to you not knowing that most developed nations don't leave their citizens at the mercy of their medical corporations.

Back at ya.

Offline LoadWB

• Show all replies
« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2015, 05:08:23 AM »
Quote from: djos;800074
I'll just leave this here:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/danmunro/2014/06/16/u-s-healthcare-ranked-dead-last-compared-to-10-other-countries/

Don't think I'm some sort of commie, i'm not - I have private health care here in Aus cause I can afford it (every one making more that $50k p/a is encouraged too, otherwise you pay a yearly levy).

Just yesterday I took my 2 year old boy into a private hospital for a minor operation and thanks to our health insurance it cost us Zero dollars.

If we weren't well off the same operation would have been still free, we'd have just gone to a public hospital and had to wait a couple of months instead (it was elective surgery).

We're facing the exact opposite problem.  I'm not one who gets his information from friends' Facebook wall macros or biased media archives, instead I have researched the actual industry for the past six years going back (at lesat) to the post-war 40s.  There may be a proper way to run government health care (eg "universal" health care,) but it's never been done in either a way which respects private property, or a way which doesn't cause resource shortages or dislocations of some sort.  Most "civilized" nations with centralized health care fall into one of those categories.

In the US, an implementation of any kind of centralized system will still leave people at the so-called "mercy of the corporations" because we have corporatists who run the government.  It is a disgusting incestuous relationship between government and the market, resulting in disfiguring mutations of the private market, resembling something more like a fascist economy and giving the recipients of poor care nowhere to turn and no legal recourse against failures.

Even under the HMO system, which was developed and run by the very same people who decry the system as inadequate, discriminatory, and uncaring, my own health care has been great, and I have always had the option of the type of coverage I want.  Under the "fixes" to the system I would have lost my coverage, which was far more than adequate for my existing needs (but I do like to plan for the future, being responsible and all,) lowered my monthly premiums by 10% but would have changed me from a co-pay to two deductibles: roughly $5,000 EACH for care and medications, and a whole slew of exceptions including stays (which is par for the existing Medicare system, in which the personnel may be covered, but the cost of the hospital room and stay beyond 24 hours is probably not covered.)

Thankfully that part of the law was changed, but now because I get to keep the insurance coverage which does very well for me I must pay a tax penalty because it (ready for this?) covers me TOO well.  W. T. F.

In terms of government coverage versus private coverage, the top provider for rejecting claims has been the government-run system.  The top provider for rejecting new applicants has been the government-run system.  The top provider with the most failures in care... you guessed it, the government-run system.  Leaves little doubt why our own so-called leaders exempted themselves.

In the end, it has been our government which has helped to destroy any vestige of reasonable care in this country.  Yes, "big medicine" has been part of it, but again not without fed collusion or coercion.

I'm hoping this helps you to understand our general distaste and mistrust of government-run health systems.

Offline LoadWB

• Show all replies
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2015, 04:38:06 AM »
Quote from: djos;800076
The biggest problem you guys have in the U.S.A. Is that your gov is no longer representing the people, the corporations have completely corrupted your democracy. See the TPP etc as an example of the gov negotiating for corporations, not people. These are the same corporations who do their absolute best to not pay their fair share of taxes in the U.S.A.

Ps it's happening here in Australia too, our conservative gov is trying to bend us over and Roger is hard atm on all sorts of things!

You know, anytime someone from another country starts his or her statement with "the biggest problem you have in the USA" the hair on the back of my neck stands up and I brace myself for an unrealistic assessment handed down by a foreign media or government which does everything it can to show how superior that country is to the US.

But you hit the nail right on the head and drove it deep.  We have a government which rules in absolute opposition to its people, and the members of that government minimize, harass, libel, slander, and pretty much pull every dirty propaganda trick in the book against any of the people who rise in opposition.  Hence all the misinformation against several of the popular citizen movements, the largest, and most maligned, of which is the Tea Party movement.

Anyway, none of this is why we're here at AO. :pint:

Offline LoadWB

• Show all replies
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2016, 10:56:09 PM »
Quote from: Oldsmobile_Mike;802919
Dang it, people.  Bunch'a price gougers.  :(

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Viper-530-E-Matrix-530-mit-SCSI-for-AMIGA-500-plus-Turbokarte-A500-RARE-/191783561681?hash=item2ca730e9d1:g:vawAAOSw5dNWmQmz

Okay, is that an '030 under the heat-sink, because this 530 seems to be missing the "30" part.

I never knew these had IDE and SCSI on them.  That's pretty impressive.

Offline LoadWB

• Show all replies
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2016, 03:54:17 AM »
Quote from: Oldsmobile_Mike;802925
The '030 is under the heatsink.  They're all like that, look at the pic on Amiga Hardware Database.

http://amiga.resource.cx/exp/ematrix530

Edit - looks like some were available with a PGA instead of an SMD '030.  Probably went through a few design iterations.  ;)

That's a neat looking accelerator.  I remember having an M-Tec 020 before I got my GVP A530+.  It was rock-solid.  I wonder how the Viper (aside from the obvious IDE and SCSI ports) would compare to my Derringer.

Offline LoadWB

• Show all replies
« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2016, 03:55:47 PM »
Quote from: Motormouth;807268
Does it come with a real F-19?

(No that would be 10,000,000,000 pounds)

Shipping for that would be horrendous.

Offline LoadWB

• Show all replies
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2016, 04:00:51 AM »
Quote from: danbeaver;807296
Perhaps it is a brother of Dr. Evil who is selling an F-19 to blow up the world?  I guess the £ means he is living in the UK...

I dunno... seems a little too quasi-evil for him.

Offline LoadWB

• Show all replies
« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2016, 11:17:59 PM »
Subdue that blue lighting a little and I'd be happier with it.  I like the blue LEDs but most of the are ridiculously bright.  I just got an XU1541 and the blue LED lights up my room.  Really unnecessary.  I bought various bags of lower-output and diffused blue LEDs to replace the ultra-bright water clears with which I keep winding up.

Offline LoadWB

• Show all replies
« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2016, 08:00:05 AM »
Quote from: midway;811347
one from doomy

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Commodore-Amiga-CD32-console-and-original-box-/162134807726?&_trksid=p2056016.m2518.l4276

thinking about raising it :roflmao:

God, what a jack ass.  I picked up two units when they were going for about $89 each some time ago.  I still have one unopened.  I would never presume to get $500 for it.  Maybe not even $100, honestly.

Offline LoadWB

• Show all replies
« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2016, 05:27:09 AM »
Quote from: slaapliedje;811461
Ha, I'd consider buying that off you.  I've kind of been wanting one, and for some weird reason I haven't been able to get my A4000D to play CD32 games successfully.  I actually have wanted to get one of the controllers, though I heard the original boomerang was kind of crap.

I'm not sure of the generations of CD32 controllers.  I've always preferred them when playing games on my Amigas (kicked ass at Deluxe Galaga.)

But I won't be selling mine any time soon.  I plan to keep it as a gift to my grandson when he's old enough to play.  Later he'll get one of my Amigas, as well, just as his mother.

Offline LoadWB

• Show all replies
« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2017, 09:13:58 PM »
Quote from: David Wright;823091
Hey that's a bargain. He originally listed that lot for $15,000.

I thought I had seen this before, but I remember more photos.  Wonder if he had a bailed buyer.

Offline LoadWB

• Show all replies
« Reply #44 from previous page: March 09, 2017, 02:27:44 AM »
Quote from: Oldsmobile_Mike;823099
A lot of this stuff is pretty rare in the US, but given the sorry state of this collection (and poor photos), it's hard to tell what exactly a buyer would be getting.  I'd imagine this is some old geezer who's been hoarding this stuff for years, with now failing health, realizes you "can't take it with you", and wants get some money for his grandkids, or something.

Eh, no interest, really, I just sometimes like to imagine the lives of people who sell stuff like this.  :D

I started this purge a while back.  After a couple of visits to the local flea market I realized I don't want to be one of these sad phuqrs with a storage room or table piled with "crap" I kept because "someone can use it."  I hate throwing out working stuff, but I also can't invest in storage for someone's future use to whom I will likely wind up giving it, anyway.

That and I really value my "collections" enough that I would rather in my untimely, or timely, demise my next-of-kin won't have to just load it all into a bin or put it up in some general garbage collection, they will know what they have and if it has value they can get something for it, or get it to someone who will appreciate it.

Quote from: David Wright;823100
Hey Pat, I was being sarcastic. I might give $500 for the lot, if that.

Thinking the same.  I've talked with people who do these estate sale and storage unit auction buys.  Based on discussions with them they'd likely go $500 to $1,000 for that.  There can't be too much time involved.  They're generally looking for one or two items to make the buy worthwhile, maybe a few, but over all this kind of mess could go in the skip.  A sad reality.