Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A suggestion for the new AmigaOne X1000  (Read 6316 times)

Description:

Offline gazgod

• Show all replies
    • http://www.lincsamiga.org.uk
Re: A suggestion for the new AmigaOne X1000
« on: January 25, 2010, 03:07:47 PM »
Quote from: paolone;540055
Sorry, but I don't agree here, Ok, there's no memory protection, there's no multi-user architecture, no Posix and no "whatever fancy feature you feel a question of life & death", but I don't think average people will ever list OS features and decide what to buy.

They will, instead, ask basic questions like "will this make me surf the web without issues? will this allow me playing my videos? will this hel me with my every-day duties?" and so on. You can positively answer to all these questions even without such "modern" features, but providing the necessary applications.

With the current number of Amiga users you are right, but IF (big if i know) it became a mainstream OS the lack of modern features would make it a hackers dream. We currently have security by obscurity but without protected memory, multi-user etc writing exploitations would be fairly simple and very dangerous online.

But as for a Amiga games console, thats probably the daftest proposal I've heard in a long time, does the proposer know that Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo all sell there consoles at a loss relying on licensing software to generate income, the complete opposite to hyperions business model which is overpriced hardware and no software.

Gaz

Offline gazgod

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 03:16:09 AM »
Quote from: kolla;540232
Exactly - and there you are. Without memory protection and ability to set different security levels (aka "multiuser) there will be issues with "surf the web". Seriously, one cannot recommend any Amiga system for banking or whatever, since any application on the machine can read the memory of the browser and dig out whatever info they want.

And also any rouge web session has access to the the entire system memory and storage.

It will be interesting if timberwolf is susceptible to firefox exploits that are out there. I for one wouldn't save any passwords within it and probably wouldn't use it with any authenticated session. But as I no longer have any OS4 systems its purely theoretical.

Gaz

Offline gazgod

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 03:08:29 PM »
Quote from: hbarcellos;540276
hmmmmmmmm, instead of a suggestion, I have a question?
If those AMD k6-2-400 comparable sam440ep boxes cost ~1.000 euros, the new X1000 (that possible can be compared to a Pentium D) would cost how much????

Maybe a k6 400 is a bit on the low side (I haven't seen any comparison benchmarks), but I doubt the 440 could keep up with a equivalent speed Celeron let alone a P3.
As we don't know what CPU is going to be on the X1000 (many have speculated) its difficult to guess but if i had to put money on it I'd say the Pentium D will runs ring around it.

As for price, my guess is £1200-£1500 (1950-2400 USD). But having owned a Sam and experienced the quality of OS4 I certainly won't be buying one anytime soon at any price.

Gaz

Offline gazgod

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2010, 04:47:32 PM »
Quote from: dougal;540290
I made that suggestion because i see it pointless spending so much money just to buy a system which ONLY has an OS to offer and nothing else. No apps, no games NOTHING! Well not nothing but not much.

It would be much more of a worthwhile system if it has a few killer apps and maybe at least just to start with one or two decent games which have some sort of name and not something unheard of.

Agreed, If Hyper-ron really want to push the Amiga they need to invest in the applications to run on it. Whether that is funding developers to to port required software to AmigaOS (eg open office), or coming up with software on there own and marketing it independently from the OS (and I don't mean 10 year old PC games). Granted initially they won't see any return on investment but it depends on whether their business plan is to sell a few boards and copies of the OS, or to develop a computer platform.

Gaz