Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: How many Amiga users are left?  (Read 23835 times)

Description:

Offline amigadaveTopic starter

• Lifetime Member
    • Show all replies
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
Re: How many Amiga users are left?
« Reply #14 from previous page: May 27, 2011, 06:09:36 AM »
Quote from: Iggy;640508
MorphOS users number almost 2000 by themselves. AOS4 numbers aren't known (ask Hyperion). I suspect that the number of legacy users may be higher than estimated. UAE users may be more numerous than legacy users (what's your fastest 'Amiga'? A PC).
My own loose estimate? Slightly under 10,000.

Very interesting estimates/claims, do you have a source for your "almost 2000" MorphOS users?  Since there are less than 1,200 MorphOS2.x registered systems and many MorphOS2.x users have more than one registered system, the number of MorphOS2.x users is obviously less than 1,000, so you must have some info about how many MorhpOS1.4.5 users are still actively using the free version of MorphOS1.4.5.

Also, remember the definitions in this thread/poll for "Active" users, not just occasional users, or people that own an Amiga, or Amiga-Like system and turn it on once in a while.  Do you think there are "slightly under 10,000" active users?   I doubt it.  There could be that number of people that are still have some level of interest about Amiga systems.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 06:14:07 AM by amigadave »
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

• Lifetime Member
    • Show all replies
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2011, 10:11:16 PM »
Quote from: SamuraiCrow;641518
Mattathias stalled ages ago.  I'm now on the NatAmi team because it would be easier to make a new computer to run AmosPro on than it would be to make AmosPro run on the NG Amigas without an emulator.

The most programming I've done in the past month has been helping Cammy with her adventure game engine in AmigaE.

I'm on many Amiga-related teams including MUIBuilder (though I don't know how MUI works), AROS (because it looks like the least common denominator of all Amiga-like OSs), and NatAmi (because I want to run Classic Amiga software).  I haven't done much for any of them and wonder if I ever will.

It's hard being unemployed and wondering if my next paycheck will ever come.

I have seen you around many projects and forum sites and appreciate your views on many topics and your choices of which projects to join and work on.  If I ever make it to Minnesota, I will try to look you up and say hi.  If you ever visit Calif. I hope you do the same.  I am sorry to read that Matthias has stalled, but understand the reasons and I am glad that you are part of the Natami team.  

Although the Natami is behind schedule and gets criticized for being too ambitious, or unrealistic by some people, I think that it will succeed and become a great product some day.  I think it has a good chance to become the fastest Amiga clone and add some very useful features to the original Amiga design.  I am looking forward to seeing the faster blitter and SuperAGA, plus the other speed enhancements and increased RAM capabilities that the Natami will bring to what will essentially be a new Classic Amiga in the truest sense of the word.

Also, congratulations and thanks for your work with Cammy on her AmigaE coding.  She is another one of my favorite Amiga people.

Edit:  Sorry to hear about your unemployment situation.  I have been unemployed for about 4 years now, due to a bad back and failed back surgery that made it worse, but I am hoping a second surgery will improve my condition, so I can get back to some kind of work.  I hope you find some employment, or self employment opportunity that you enjoy and meets your income requirements.  Times are hard for almost everyone I know right now.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 10:18:44 PM by amigadave »

• Lifetime Member
    • Show all replies
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2011, 03:56:24 AM »
233 voters so far in this poll.  Not bad, more than I expected to vote, but I wonder how many more lurkers are here that use their Amigas, or Amiga-Like systems regularly, but don't participate in polls, or usually post messages in the forums?

I also wonder how many people here think that there are more people that read these forums and don't post replies, or vote, than there are that do participate  on forums and vote in polls?

Are there more people that still use Amiga computers and never use this, or other Amiga forums out there, or are the majority of active Amiga users members of at least one or more Amiga forum site?
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 04:04:18 AM by amigadave »