Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Apollo Team announces the Vampire V4  (Read 73332 times)

Description:

Offline ALB42

Re: Apollo Team announces the Vampire V4
« on: August 10, 2017, 07:18:53 PM »
Quote from: ferrellsl;829371
No, you are incorrect.  A non-FPU version of Mapparium called MUIMApparium was created with the Vampire in mind.  The author also created versions for MOS and AROS.

Thats actually not true, the only reason I had "Vampire in mind" is because thats my only real Amiga with a GFX card. So to test the speed I only have that to try. UAE is very unreal :) and sadly there is no other GFX card for keyboard Amigas currently.
(This was my main reason to buy a Vampire, the GFX card)

I got response from people use MUIMapparium with 68060 and GFX Card (even one crazy guy use it on a 68030, notice also no FPU here).

The implementation was also not triggered by Vampire, I wanted to learn MUI/Zune and overcome some (speed and not speed related) problems on all Platforms. The initial implementation was done with ARM-AROS on a Raspi3 (on vacation, a little computer to take with me). The Video for it was just to show that it is even fast enough to make it run on a real Amiga, no relation to Vampire. (as I said just because its the only one with GFX card) so on the NG platform it will just be very smooth, but this is hard to show in a video.

I really like my Vampire (and MUIMapparium :lol:) but to take MUIMapparium as a example program for Vampire is a little bit strange. There is no special stuff inside for Vampire and will never be.

The thread you mentioned there is the MUIMapparium thread I guess, which was not opened by me, I just responded to it and later add some updates because some people asked for it.

But what I did especially for Vampire was testing the FreePascal compiler... There should be a thread as well from me. I even thought about to include some better support for it on the long run (AMMX,..), ... now... nah ... you you can guess how big my motivation is to do something on this topic.

Offline ALB42

« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2017, 09:07:04 PM »
Quote from: ferrellsl;829396
You're actually helping me make my point because a couple individuals here keep stating that there is no real Vampire development occurring and that anything "new" being developed is simply a re-compile of some very old projects.  Mapparium is not an old project in Amiga terms.  And even you admit that it is crazy to use MUIMapparium on an 030 or lesser CPU.  So you obviously weren't developing this on a classic system for classic bog-standard 68K Amigas, but for accelerated 040/060 (which no one can afford or find anymore), WinUAE, or any other system that has more horsepower than an 030, including a Vampire.  The implementation may not have been triggered by the Vampire, but you say it was developed on one. There is almost zero development for classics on classics these days.  Most programmers use a cross-compiler paired with WinUAE for good reason, or a Vampire. I updated the PLPLOT programming library recently on a classic A1200 using Lattice C 6.58 and even with an 030 accelerator it was a painful experience.  Any further classic development that I undertake will be on a Vampire standalone when it's available and until then, under WinUAE and a Windows-based cross-compiler. Or on AROS and I will back port my AROS apps to OS3.

Oh I dont want prove you right or wrong... just move it to perspective..
I did not made MUIMapparium for Vampire. Point. I do not code more or less because i have it. I create Applications for 68k a long time already I compiled Mapparium, without MUI also for 68k even it make not much sense because too slow, even on a Vampire.
I do not develop on Vampire, thats too slow, because of HD speed. I use cross compilation on Linux. We designed FreePascal that way that you really can write stuff for one Amiga platform and it just compiles and runs for all, without to really care about... so to make an Amiga 68k version (an FPU/non-FPU or an OS4 version) it's just a button click more for me and usually I do dot even try them anymore, thats the reason it took a while before I noticed that SoftFPU slowness. Thats also the main reason for RTG only, because AGA/ECS would need special work

But your conclusion is right, there are some people still writing stuff for classic, even not many. But I'm proudly one of them. :lol:

Offline ALB42

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2017, 08:07:08 PM »
I have in mind 64 bit is still not implemented
because the
LOAD   (A0)+,D1       ; load 8 bytes

(thats how you load 64 bit from memory to a 64 bit register, of course you have to enable the AMMX stuff before)

is not implemented in Gold 2 / Gold 2.5, I guess thats the reason for Gold 2.7

see also:
http://www.apollo-core.com/knowledge.php?b=4¬e=6763&x=1