Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Amiga Kit Amiga Store Iridium Banner AMIStore App Store A1200/A600 4xIDE Interface

Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10
Amiga Software Issues and Discussion / Re: Give me a hint!
« Last post by Matt_H on October 14, 2021, 11:38:32 PM »
AmiTCP 3.x is really, really old and its Unix roots, as kolla notes, are very apparent and - in my opinion - extremely difficult to configure. What's happening during the installation is that it's asking you to define the root account, not provide unknowable credentials for a hitherto unknown root account. With that information undefined, that's probably why the login system is getting confused post-installation. The documentation should explain this, but I recall the AmiTCP 3.x documentation to be lacking, so perhaps it doesn't. I highly recommend any other TCP/IP stack. Roadshow is the newest one and its author, Olaf Barthel, is one of the best documentation writers on the planet.

@ kolla

The user/group stuff added to 3.2 is likely related to Envoy, which is where C:Owner and C:Group originally come from. If you're using the machine as an Envoy server you can allow/restrict files based on the client's username/group. These extensions have been semi-official for decades, so it's good they're finally formalized. Now if we could just get the rest of Envoy integrated into the OS...
Amiga Marketplace / FA: PSU A1200 and many more
« Last post by AllocVec on October 14, 2021, 09:53:53 PM »
Hi!

I put an new Amiga-item on ebay:

power supply unit for the Amiga 1200 (black version)

Shipping is worldwide (from Germany), auction is beginning at EUR 1,-.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/cph_ao/m.html?_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

Also running a lot of other Amiga items, for example Scandoubler/Flickerfixer, turbocards, software , hardware, books and many more

Regards

Christian
« Last post by kolla on October 14, 2021, 09:36:28 PM »
AmiTCP (and Miami, Roadshow..) is a very minimal BSD unix kernel running on top of AmigaOS, and as such it has concept of users and groups. Similar concept of users and groups was also in the native LAN package Envoy (but with the unfortunate difference that root uid 0 for posix was “nobody” in envoy, iirc).

OS 3.2 has updates that deals owner and group flags in the filesystem - why this suddenly had become relevant one can only speculate.
« Last post by KThunder on October 14, 2021, 08:47:49 PM »
https://grimore.org/amiga/install_amitcp

This might help. It is probably from your s:user-startup file. So do the last part of those instructions.

btw, you guys never had multi-user? It was easy - multiple Workbench disks = multiuser :)
(yeah, not quite the same)

General chat about Amiga topics / Re: My Checkmate A1500 Plus Amiga 1200 Project
« Last post by trekiej on October 14, 2021, 06:08:27 PM »
 :( Rest in Peace.
General chat about Amiga topics / Re: My Checkmate A1500 Plus Amiga 1200 Project
« Last post by kolla on October 14, 2021, 03:42:07 PM »
Sad to hear :(
@Pat I have a video toaster unfortunately so that's right out :P

I'll have to test some different mice.  i only tried one, though it was one that works with my A1200.  It's probably just that. 

I see a number of ps/2 to 9pin adapters like this one.. https://www.ebay.com/itm/383611674085?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=383611674085&targetid=1262779893289&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9001994&poi=&campaignid=13917593257&mkgroupid=128459893881&rlsatarget=pla-1262779893289&abcId=9300613&merchantid=113781450&gclid=Cj0KCQjwqp-LBhDQARIsAO0a6aI4nEdp1GJnICIgJgGYmT-cQAa_P2HklYz9J30ucAjzSGSKHIClE5AaAnIsEALw_wcB

I would feel better using a ps/2 mouse rather than usb just because i could see it being closer to the era.. less voltage expectation..

the 9 pin connectors are healthy.  so i don't think it's a connectivity issue, but i'll have to troubleshoot further

I have a 6.2 rev board.  So that also makes me feel more confident its the mouse not the motherboard.

Cool glad to know the visuals are 1:1 in all situations with composite (except grayscale)

Yea i'll take the drives out and give a good cleaning.  Lord knows they have earned it! 

Thanks for those shortcuts.. i've never used any of this even back when i was an exclusive user of the amiga.. heh.  :)    the more you know! 
« Last post by JKD on October 14, 2021, 10:20:36 AM »
I was the purchaser of this system from the Marketplace here,

I heard back from Todd's wife yesterday and sad to say that he has left us. :-(

Godspeed Todd!
General chat about Amiga topics / Re: BlitzBasic2 and interlace mode
« Last post by Pat the Cat on October 14, 2021, 03:35:54 AM »
Using copper to get interlace is involved, consult Hardware Reference Manual.

Using Blitz 2 to open an Intuition screen in interlace is pretty easy as per page 173;-

https://ia801009.us.archive.org/33/items/bb21manual/BB21Manual.pdf

EDIT: The problem with interlace is that the start address of each bitplane has to be changed after each raster frame.

On a non-interlaced screen, the data read position is just reset back to the start address at the end of each frame.

This is no good for interlace, first the even frame is displayed, and the next video frame, the odd lines are displayed.

This makes for a convoluted copper list, having to change the bitplane start position on each frame.

Hey, you wanted total control in assembler. You got it. :)
Oh yeah, one other thing you might be interested in is RGB2HDMI, you can fit an A2000 version of that into the video slot. Gives a nice hires HDMI port, no flicker. Doesn't do superhires though.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10