Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Rochester, NY teacher gets suspended for washing students mouth out with soap  (Read 3391 times)

Description:

Offline mikeymike

• Show only replies by mikeymike
Re: Rochester, NY teacher gets suspended for washing students mouth out with soap
« Reply #44 from previous page: June 13, 2004, 02:56:01 PM »

Speelgoedmannetje wrote:
Everyone knows there's a line you can't cross

That's one of my points. People do not know that. That's why humanity invented law.

It's also a reason why there are multiple levels of punishment for crimes, because humanity has a sense of moderation.

KennyR wrote:
Ah Speel, but your line is "don't do a f*cking thing to those students or you're fired and your teaching days are over." That's not any realistic line, although the law shares your view, which is why there aren't many teachers left, and less by the year.

Good point. The less teachers there are, the harder it is for them to maintain order, and more opportunity for the f*cktard kids to get further out of control.

Offline KennyR

• Show only replies by KennyR
    • http://wrongpla.net
Virtually all abuse is verbal, not physical, which you should know if you ever went to school and saw this happening. So your line simply does not work. Try again.

Offline Speelgoedmannetje

• Show only replies by Speelgoedmannetje
@JonoPike &KennyR
REVENGE!!!!
oh, the sweet revenge!
And the canary said: \'chirp\'

mikeymike wrote:

Speelgoedmannetje wrote:
Everyone knows there's a line you can't cross

That's one of my points. People do not know that. That's why humanity invented law.

It's also a reason why there are multiple levels of punishment for crimes, because humanity has a sense of moderation.
Yes, and only in there lies the justice towards this teacher. Undoubtly, in this case it's judgement is mild.

Offline KennyR

• Show only replies by KennyR
    • http://wrongpla.net
No Speel, preventing injustice, not revenge. Revenge only comes later when a person's been abused and eventually cracks.

Offline cecilia

• Amiga Snob
    • Show only replies by cecilia
    • http://cecilia.sawneybean.com/
I spent countless years listening to my mother return from work explaining how the "board of ed" makes it difficult for teachers to do their job - which, btw, is Teaching.

at every turn the burocrates who Don't understand simple things like having enough books, enough desks (i'm not kidding), not TOO many students in a class, having enough chalk (!), etc etc etc, that would help teachers are more important than doing things that hinder the whole learning process.

putting teachers in an adversarial position with regard to parents is counterproductive.no one wins there. least of all the kids and ultimately, society.

the people that suck at teaching always get "pushed up" to executive positions. they are clueless when it comes to encouraging programs that actually help teachers.

the whole system is messed up.

and this is SERIOUS because the most important thing any society can do is educate it's next generation. do that and you solve alot of future problems. drop the ball and it comes back to bite you in the a.s.s later!
the no CARB diet- no Cheney, Ashcroft, Rumsfeld or Bush.
IFX CD Tutorial

Tell me then, where is the justice for the teacher? Imagine it from a teachers point of view. If you lose your job/get sued by the parents of the f*cktard(s) that gave you the abuse, just for defending yourself, where is justice? Its a human instinct to defend yourself against someone who is aggressive.

She wasn't assaulted, not in a physical way nor in a mental way.
The kid could as well set in the corner for an hour as punishment.
as I said earlier, if one's attacked physically, it's perfectly legal to defend yourself with violence.

cecilia wrote:
the whole system is messed up.
nononono
that's called 'efficiency'
(my ass)

Sit for an hour in the corner as punishment

What good is that going to do  :lol: Sitting in isolation will only make the kid more detached from the teacher and other students, thus increasing distrust betwwen them. This will probablly make the kid more unruly.

JonoPike wrote:
What good is that going to do  :lol: Sitting in isolation will only make the kid more detached from the teacher and other students, thus increasing distrust betwwen them. This will probablly make the kid more unruly.
And here you are at a point where you have no experience AT ALL and where I do have the experience to tell you that what you are saying now is bollocks.

Hmm, but are you referring to leading Scouts? Scouts is different from school, because Scouts is voluntary. School is compulsory.

Sure, if a kid is forced to sit in the corner for an hour away from things and people they want to be with - it would work.

But in a school, where the kid probablly has a lot of dislike for their teacher and/or other kids and work, they would relish being away from stuff they don't like.

JonoPike wrote:
Hmm, but are you referring to leading Scouts? Scouts is different from school, because Scouts is voluntary. School is compulsory.
[doomy mode]
you have no idea what you're talking about
[/doomy mode]

Offline that_punk_guy

• Show only replies by that_punk_guy
JonoPike is becoming quite a "mastur debator" ;-)

Offline Glaucus

• Show only replies by Glaucus
    • http://members.shaw.ca/mveroukis/
Oh come on Mike, isn't that a little alarmist? Parents who spank for instance don't suddenly beat their children to death. Everyone knows there's a line you can't cross, and one drop of liquid soap in the mouth of some loudmouthed f*ckwit assh*le student isn't crossing it, IMO.
Ah, but we do see some parents bashing the crap out of their kids. It's a very hard line to draw. I never said that all teachers who use a drop of soap will go overboard, just that not all teachers will realize where the line is. And what happens if the kid continues to swear, do we escalate to two drops, then three? Same goes with parents and corporal punishment. Many of those who cause severe bodily harm to kids don't seem to understand why what they're doing is so bad.

Also, this form of punishment is rahter stupid. How do we know the kid doesn't have ADHD? That's not the right way to handle such a case. What if the kid is abused or neglected at home? This sort of treatment only re-enforces another negative self image for the kid. These kinds of treatments should be considered as nothing more then a quick fix with short term results. It's pretty much a guarantee that the kid will swear again.

I still believe that positive re-enforcement is the answer.

- Mike
YOU ARE NOT IMMUNE