Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Where are the decent scifi series?  (Read 3052 times)

Description:

Offline mikeymike

• Show only replies by mikeymike
Re: Where are the decent scifi series?
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2004, 05:18:29 PM »
Damn, I'm arguing seriously about Star Trek on an internet forum. Geek alert.

Maybe you should get a job? :-)

I edited the posts to convert images to URLs to fix page width.

Offline KennyRTopic starter

• Show only replies by KennyR
    • http://wrongpla.net
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2004, 05:55:20 PM »
PMC wrote:
Is it me or is one of those purple dudes giving Picard the bird?

Well, that's what he gets for criticising their performance of Puttin' On The Ritz on his bridge.

Offline Methuselas

• Show only replies by Methuselas
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2004, 10:21:53 AM »

QuikSanz wrote:
@ KennyR,

We should have a new Battlestar Galactica series soon. If you didn't see the pilot it's very different.

Chris

I have the Mini in Mpeg format. Anyone that wants a copy or a DVD of it and is willing to pay for shipping and media can have a copy. Don't ask for an FTP link, 'cos both of them are over 3 gigs a piece in size. (when I record, I record with QUALITY). There IS a problem on the second one, but that's due to storage on a slowly failing hard drive, but it's only a split second of quality loss. I was quite pissed when I saw it. :-?

Commercials have been edited. ^_^
\'Using no way as way. Having no limitation as limitation.\' - Bruce Lee

\'No, sorry. I don\'t get my tits out. They\'re not actually real, you know? Just two halves of a grapefruit...\' - Miki Berenyi

\'Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.\' - Dark Helmet :roflmao:

\'And for future reference, it might be polite to ask someone if you can  quote them in your signature, rather than just citing them to make a  sales pitch.\' - Karlos. :rtf

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2004, 10:26:16 AM »

Offline Methuselas

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2004, 10:29:06 AM »

bloodline wrote:

You wouldn't be advocating Piracy would you?

No, I'm advocating high-quality Sci-Fi programming.  :-P

Besides, I'm not asking for money in exchange. Simply media costs (since DVDs are expensive) and shipping costs. I thought it was a brilliantly done 're-imagination.'

\'No, sorry. I don\'t get my tits out. They\'re not actually real, you know? Just two halves of a grapefruit...\' - Miki Berenyi

\'And for future reference, it might be polite to ask someone if you can  quote them in your signature, rather than just citing them to make a  sales pitch.\' - Karlos. :rtf

Offline whabang

• Show only replies by whabang
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2004, 11:28:43 AM »
I haven't seen decent Sci-fi on TV since the three first seasons of Babylon 5 was aired on Swedish TV a few years ago.  The only Sci-fi we have here today is Star Trek Enterprise (which i have never liked) and Cleopatra 2525(don't even get me started on that one:roll:).
Beating the dead horse since 2002.

Offline Methuselas

« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2004, 11:21:19 PM »

whabang wrote:

...and Cleopatra 2525(don't even get me started on that one:roll:).

Cleopatra 2525??? I've never heard of that one. It sounds just awful and now I'm gonna have to snoop around the net for it. :-o

Offline cecilia

• Amiga Snob
    • Show only replies by cecilia
    • http://cecilia.sawneybean.com/
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2004, 11:22:30 PM »
it sucks mightily
 :pissed:

(if i recall correctly, i may have seen about 10 min of it and ran screaming from the room) :boohoo:  :crazy:
the no CARB diet- no Cheney, Ashcroft, Rumsfeld or Bush.
IFX CD Tutorial

Offline Methuselas

« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2004, 11:30:26 PM »
Set more than five centuries in the future, Cleopatra 2525 follows the exploits of three tough and beautiful women in a world turned upside down. Monstrous, heavily armored airborne creatures known as Baileys rule the surface of Earth. Humanity has been driven underground in order to survive — and to fight back.

Over centuries of Bailey domination, humankind's subterranean universe has grown into an immense labyrinth of shafts, corridors and spaces on countless levels housing distinctly different worlds — from beautifully simulated surface environments to toxic-waste dumps. The human populations inhabiting these domains have evolved independently over hundreds of years, giving rise to a vast array of diverse cultures in the underground grid.

Though most of humanity has abandoned hope of ever reclaiming the surface of Earth, there are individuals within the subterranean world still fiercely committed to that cause. Among these brave souls are the female warriors Hel (Gina Torres, Nebula on Hercules: The Legendary Journeys, Zoë on Firefly and the demonic goddess Jasmine on Angel) and Sarge (Victoria Pratt, Jackie on John Woo's Once a Thief, Shalimar on Mutant X), who rescue former aspiring actress and part-time exotic dancer Cleopatra (Jennifer Sky, the Amazon-wannabe Amarice on Xena: Warrior Princess) from cryogenic stasis. As Hel and Sarge educate Cleopatra in the art of war, she teaches them that looking good won't necessarily hurt their cause.

Infused with high action, drama, humor and spectacular special effects, Cleopatra 2525 was created by acclaimed Xena: Warrior Princess executive producers Rob Tapert and R.J. Stewart, who produced the series in conjunction with Renaissance Pictures (Timecop, Army of Darkness, Hercules and Xena), the production company of Cleopatra 2525 fellow executive producer Sam Raimi.

[Excerpt from SciFi.com]

Yeah, I'm DEFINATELY gonna miss this one.  :lol:

Offline whabang

« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2004, 12:45:43 PM »

cecilia wrote:
it sucks mightily
 :pissed:

That's not even the start of it! :lol:

Offline mikeymike

Offline mikeymike

« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2004, 06:07:05 PM »
I just watched what a friend of mine described as the best Enterprise episode (season 3, the borg one).  Wow, they couldn't have used copy and paste to greater effect in that script.

Offline Cymric

• Show only replies by Cymric
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2004, 09:57:24 PM »
@KennyR:

You may wish to ponder the meaning of the  following story and understand why there is no longer any decent SF to be found :-).
Some people say that cats are sneaky, evil and cruel. True, and they have many other fine qualities as well.

Offline whabang

« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2004, 08:00:33 AM »

mikeymike wrote:
http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=20040530&mode=classic

:lol: :lol: :lol:
"You have no chance to survive make your time!"

Offline zudobug

• Show only replies by zudobug
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2004, 11:55:38 AM »
There are some good anime sci-fi series out there if you like that sort of thing. Not on TV mind, you need the broadband :-/

IMO, TV is fairly useless in general. Not just sci-fi. There's one or two comedy programmes that are worth tuning in for, but they are rather weak compared to the standards I grew up with.

You'd think with all the money they pour in to television, combined with the latest amazing technology, TV would absolutely rock! But no... it's {bleep}!

As for sci-fi movies. Apart from the first, and at a push second Matrix films, nothing has really been worth the bother. I heard years ago that the excellent music video director Chris Cunningham was going to turn the fantastico Neuromancer into a movie. And I got really excited about that idea. But it came to nothing.

Well, I guess it saves having to hear people say it rips off the Matrix, unaware that the book was published in 1984. A Gibson-esq sci-fi series would be something special, wouldn't it? But not likely.

Did anyone watch Cold Lazarus in the mid-to-late-nineties (I forget when exactly)? I liked that.

Let's see what this new Dr Who turns out like. My money is on pish! If you like sci-fi, best stick with books and repeats of the classics.

-zudo
Realtime amiga.org chatting on irc.synirc.net - #amiga.org and #coffeehouse

Offline cecilia

• Amiga Snob
    • Show only replies by cecilia
    • http://cecilia.sawneybean.com/
« Reply #29 from previous page: June 14, 2004, 04:45:53 PM »

zudobug wrote:
You'd think with all the money they pour in to television, combined with the latest amazing technology, TV would absolutely rock! But no... it's {bleep}!
money has nothing to do with it.
the difficulty is this: the people who have alot (or all) the money have absolutly NO idea how to write or create a good story. they just know how to get alot of money.

the people who can write great stories and act well, and light/make effects/etc have no money.

the artists that succeed are the ones who either are good at business themselves (Hitchcock) or hook up with a clever businessman who is smart enough to let the artist do his/her thing.

the poor artists just hope for the best and expect the worse. and believe me, it's not easy finding businesspeople who know how to deal with artists. managing people is a skill that is lacking in most situations. I've seen it with my own eyes.
the no CARB diet- no Cheney, Ashcroft, Rumsfeld or Bush.
IFX CD Tutorial