Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Sonnet crescendo 7200 and OS4.1  (Read 18223 times)

Description:

Offline nicholas

Re: Sonnet crescendo 7200 and OS4.1
« Reply #104 from previous page: May 14, 2018, 08:34:02 PM »
Quote from: lou_dias;839307
It was about 2 years ago in 2016.  Like I meantioned before it was for the EFIKA port...which looks like an older version of the PI 3B just from looking at specs...

That's AEROS not AROS.

A commercial distro running on top of Linux.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline Louis Dias

« Reply #105 on: May 14, 2018, 08:38:27 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;839308
That's AEROS not AROS.

A commercial distro running on top of Linux.

Yes, I corrected myself and edited my post after checking PM's...

Offline kreciu

« Reply #106 on: May 14, 2018, 08:41:57 PM »
If you really want OS4.1 on your classic Amiga inside Tower, you should buy yourself A1222 (if ever!) and use a KVM switch :). Way better performance and most likely it actually CAN happen "in near future".
Re-A1200inE/BOX/3.2/AmigaOS3.2/TF1260@66Mhz/256Mb/MediatorTX/R9200SE/SpiderUSB/LAN/SB128/16Gb-CF/DVD-ROM/FDD-HD

Offline nicholas

« Reply #107 on: May 14, 2018, 08:43:50 PM »
Quote from: kreciu;839310
If you really want OS4.1 on your classic Amiga inside Tower, you should buy yourself A1222 (if ever!) and use a KVM switch :). Way better performance and most likely it actually CAN happen "in near future".

Just two more weeks! (TM)
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline IggyTopic starter

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #108 on: May 15, 2018, 11:15:40 AM »
Quote from: Fats;839299
I'm currently not doing AROS development but because of the reason you mention here. My interest has just moved to other things, like developing ASICs.

Sorry  Staf, I should not have spoken for you. As to your current interest, I can understand it.
Most of the projects I'm involved with have either CPLD or FPGA components to reduce parts count and provide glue circuitry.
It won't be long before ASIC can be created in relativity low volume affordably.

The last time I'd exchanged messages with you, you still dabbled in development.

Things change, but the AROS community lost some real talent there.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

« Reply #109 on: May 15, 2018, 11:18:36 AM »
Quote from: kolla;839304
I am a rabid AROS fanatic now? Wow! :)

You're a rabid something, I just didn't post a more exact word.

Edit - Eh, that's a childish comment in itself, fug it, let's get back to the topic at hand.

Besides, childish or not, I got to hear from my favorite (former) AROS programmer, and the conversation is for the most part interesting.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 11:22:42 AM by Iggy »
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

Offline kolla

« Reply #110 on: May 15, 2018, 02:26:44 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;839306
Running it hosted is not the same as running it on bare metal. There's always a performance hit.

Not in this case, as the file system and everything offered by the host operating system is just so insanely better crafted that what would be if running on "bare metal".
B5D6A1D019D5D45BCC56F4782AC220D8B3E2A6CC
---
A3000/060CSPPC+CVPPC/128MB + 256MB BigRAM/Deneb USB
A4000/CS060/Mediator4000Di/Voodoo5/128MB
A1200/Blz1260/IndyAGA/192MB
A1200/Blz1260/64MB
A1200/Blz1230III/32MB
A1200/ACA1221
A600/V600v2/Subway USB
A600/Apollo630/32MB
A600/A6095
CD32/SX32/32MB/Plipbox
CD32/TF328
A500/V500v2
A500/MTec520
CDTV
MiSTer, MiST, FleaFPGAs and original Minimig
Peg1, SAM440 and Mac minis with MorphOS

Offline nicholas

« Reply #111 on: May 15, 2018, 02:32:49 PM »
Quote from: kolla;839341
Not in this case, as the file system and everything offered by the host operating system is just so insanely better crafted that what would be if running on "bare metal".

Benchmarks or it didn't happen! ;)

« Reply #112 on: May 15, 2018, 04:07:51 PM »
Quote from: kolla;839341

I actually think you've got a valid point.
However the Linux kernel, if used in its entirety, could double the size of the operating system.

Of course it can be slimmed down quite a bit.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #113 on: May 15, 2018, 04:19:15 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;839296
On the PPC idea, I suppose I could contact Staff Verhagen, if he's still developing.

im not sure if i understand you well, but if you are asking for a ppc port of aros, there is one targetting sam computers. it appears to work, there appear to be problems with keyboard (driver) though. it has only been tested under emulation (qemu) lately, which also is at experimental stage for the platform in question. so ist difficult to tell how it behaves on the hardware. so far there has not been anyone interested in testing.

if you ask for aros support for ppc accelerators, i dont think there is actually interest rewarding such an effort. not to mention that this hardware is spectacularly rare.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 04:23:23 PM by wawrzon »

« Reply #114 on: May 15, 2018, 05:25:06 PM »
Quote from: wawrzon;839346
im not sure if i understand you well, but if you are asking for a ppc port of aros, there is one targetting sam computers. it appears to work, there appear to be problems with keyboard (driver) though. it has only been tested under emulation (qemu) lately, which also is at experimental stage for the platform in question. so ist difficult to tell how it behaves on the hardware. so far there has not been anyone interested in testing.

if you ask for aros support for ppc accelerators, i dont think there is actually interest rewarding such an effort. not to mention that this hardware is spectacularly rare.

No, I don't see the point of porting to accelerators.
Broader support of other PPC platforms would be nice.
The SAM460 is a little weak.

But the idea of emulating the SAM460 via qemu still sounds cool.
What is the platform used for the emulation?

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #115 on: May 15, 2018, 06:40:16 PM »
Guys let's keep the tone a bit less hostile, shall we? You're actually making me moderate posts. On a phone. On public transport. This does not make me happy.
int p; // A

« Reply #116 on: May 15, 2018, 06:50:16 PM »
duplicate post, sorry.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 09:32:43 PM by Iggy »

« Reply #117 on: May 15, 2018, 06:53:52 PM »
Quote from: Karlos;839360
Guys let's keep the tone a bit less hostile, shall we? You're actually making me moderate posts. On a phone. On public transport. This does not make me happy.

Sorry Karlos, I'm trying to take it down a notch. And these guys are providing me some useful information.
I've heard about running a SAM460 emu via qemu, didn't know they'd been trying to run AROS on it.
And I'm unsure why this fork is so underdeveloped.

Sure, X86/X64 offers stronger performance, but PPC provides a unified platform.

In any case, I think I've been on the receiving end more than the delivering end, and I'm willing to endure it if there's still some payback in info gained.

I don't take the :griping: back and forth that seriously.

Quote from: nicholas;839311
Just two more weeks! (TM)

If they really do have a beta network driver, then they are down to what just a sound driver?
Can't that be provided via USB?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 07:19:05 PM by Iggy »

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #118 on: May 15, 2018, 07:40:53 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;839352
No, I don't see the point of porting to accelerators.
Broader support of other PPC platforms would be nice.
The SAM460 is a little weak.

anyone who wishes to cotribute support and testing for further ppc platforms, or whatever else platforms, is certainly welcome.

But the idea of emulating the SAM460 via qemu still sounds cool.
What is the platform used for the emulation?

im usually testing it within linux virtual machines on my PCs, simply because i compile everything there, so it is most convenient. last time i tried i had also to compile qemu myself from current source as sam platform support has not been public yet. im not sure if this changed by now.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 07:50:57 PM by wawrzon »

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #119 on: May 15, 2018, 07:49:24 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;839362
I've heard about running a SAM460 emu via qemu, didn't know they'd been trying to run AROS on it.

apparently aros is used for testing, as it runs on that emulation most reliably, in comparison to ng alternatives. it sounds strange but i cannot comment on this, as i have not tested anything else, neither do i intend to.

And I'm unsure why this fork is so underdeveloped.
this is not a fork. ppc platform is built from common source, same as x86, x64, arm or m68k. neither is it "underpowerded". so far as ive been able to test everything worked stale, except i couldnt use keyboard for input, which certainly limits my experience. but i have not noticed any particular problems. admittedly i have not spent much time with it.