Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Amiga Kit Amiga Store Iridium Banner AMIStore App Store A600 Memory

AuthorTopic: NetSurf 3.7 released!  (Read 263 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline chris

NetSurf 3.7 released!
« on: October 23, 2017, 02:39:05 PM »
NetSurf is a small, fast, CSS-capable web browser for multiple platforms including AmigaOS.

NetSurf 3.7 features performance improvements, improved page layout, and many fixes. Also new is a treeview search feature, which allows Hotlist (Bookmarks), History and Cookies to be searched. We recommend all users upgrade to NetSurf 3.7.

Official downloads (AmigaOS 4 version)
AmigaOS3 beta version
"Miracles we do at once, the impossible takes a little longer" - AJS on Hyperion
Avatar picture is Tabitha by Eric W Schwartz
 

Offline utri007

Re: NetSurf 3.7 released!
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2017, 06:56:27 PM »
Anything new in OS3.5/9 version? Requirements doesn't mention guigfx and render libraries anymore?

To prevent hasle, those should be mentioned if required. Another thing, you could include them to Netsurf archive. Guigfx requires that Netsurf readme mentions it and render library is prety much free to include.

guigfx
Quote

redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without
modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions
are met:
1. redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
   notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
2. redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
   notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the
   documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
3. all advertising materials mentioning features or use of this software
   must display the following acknowledgement:
     this product includes software developed by TEK neoscientists.
4. neither the name TEK neoscientists nor the names of its individual
   contributors may be used to endorse or promote products derived from
   this software without specific prior written permission.


Render library
Quote

license

  render.library is released under the terms of a BSD-style
  license. see COPYING for details. don't take it too serious,
  there is no need to change texts in existing software.
ACube Sam 440ep Flex 800mhz, 1gb ram and 240gb hd and OS4.1FE
A1200 Micronic tower, OS3.9, Apollo 060 66mhz, xPert Merlin, Delfina Lite and Micronic Scandy, 500Gb hd, 66mb ram, DVD-burner and WLAN.
A1200 desktop, OS3.9, Blizzard 060 66mhz, 66mb ram, Ide Fix Express with 160Gb HD and WLAN
A500 OS2.1, GVP+HD8 with 4mb ram, 1mb chip ram and 4gb HD
Commodore CDTV KS3.1, 1mb chip, 4mb fast ram and IDE HD
 

Offline Templario

Re: NetSurf 3.7 released!
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2017, 07:03:37 PM »
Good news for 68k users a new update of this browser.
Amiga 500 with ROMs 1.3-2.05 and M-Tec AT 500 with hard disk and 4MB Ram.
WinUAE + Original OS 3.5&3.9
Sam440ep 800 MHZ + OS 4.1 F.E.
Sam460ex 1 GHz + OS 4.1 + Update 6. K.O.
MacMini 1.5 GHz + MorphOS 3.9
PowerBook G4 1.65 + MorphOS 3.9
 

Offline chris

Re: NetSurf 3.7 released!
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2017, 08:10:26 PM »
Quote from: utri007;832107
Anything new in OS3.5/9 version? Requirements doesn't mention guigfx and render libraries anymore?


It should mention them, didn't really look at the readme beyond correcting the version number.

New stuff is the same as other versions, I've not done anything special with the OS3 frontend.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 12:13:25 AM by chris »
"Miracles we do at once, the impossible takes a little longer" - AJS on Hyperion
Avatar picture is Tabitha by Eric W Schwartz
 

Offline Iggy

Re: NetSurf 3.7 released!
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2017, 08:16:34 PM »
Quote from: Templario;832108
Good news for 68k users a new update of this browser.


Nice, beats waiting for 'Eyebrows'. :hammer:
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"
 

Offline utri007

Re: NetSurf 3.7 released!
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2017, 10:39:02 PM »
Works as always :)

Some speed has been lost. :( It takes about 50% more time to render amiga.org was 23 seconds, is now about 32-36 seconds. Amigaworld.net rendering time is about a same. It also seems to do something before and after page is loaded? About 5-10 seconds nothing happen in Netsurf information bar, no loading fetching etc. it just seems to wait something and same when page is loaded/displayed. With this effect it feels much slower than it used to be.

I also get one guru when I changet from amiga.org to amigaworld, but I couldn't reproduce it. Previously Netsurf has been very stable here.

Tested with both machines and several times.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 10:44:30 PM by utri007 »
ACube Sam 440ep Flex 800mhz, 1gb ram and 240gb hd and OS4.1FE
A1200 Micronic tower, OS3.9, Apollo 060 66mhz, xPert Merlin, Delfina Lite and Micronic Scandy, 500Gb hd, 66mb ram, DVD-burner and WLAN.
A1200 desktop, OS3.9, Blizzard 060 66mhz, 66mb ram, Ide Fix Express with 160Gb HD and WLAN
A500 OS2.1, GVP+HD8 with 4mb ram, 1mb chip ram and 4gb HD
Commodore CDTV KS3.1, 1mb chip, 4mb fast ram and IDE HD
 

Offline chris

Re: NetSurf 3.7 released!
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2017, 09:47:35 AM »
Quote from: utri007;832112
Some speed has been lost. :( It takes about 50% more time to render amiga.org was 23 seconds, is now about 32-36 seconds. Amigaworld.net rendering time is about a same. It also seems to do something before and after page is loaded? About 5-10 seconds nothing happen in Netsurf information bar, no loading fetching etc. it just seems to wait something and same when page is loaded/displayed. With this effect it feels much slower than it used to be.


I don't know why that would be.  I can't think of anything that has changed which would cause that.  The log file might provide a clue.
"Miracles we do at once, the impossible takes a little longer" - AJS on Hyperion
Avatar picture is Tabitha by Eric W Schwartz
 

Offline utri007

Re: NetSurf 3.7 released!
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2017, 05:00:40 PM »
Quote from: chris;832116
I don't know why that would be.  I can't think of anything that has changed which would cause that.  The log file might provide a clue.


This message is repeated some 100x times and takes 72 second to move on?
(180.004997) frontends/amiga/font_diskfont.c:58 ami_font_bm_open: (using current font)
This one only few times
(122.027104) frontends/amiga/font_diskfont.c:102 ami_font_bm_open: font: helvetica.font/12

Starts (121.790181)
Ends (193.876583)

Same message starts again (201.677977) and ends (227.279296) users over 100 seconds to open same font when logging? That message is about 50% of all messages.

Fix fonts is of course runned when installed
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 05:04:47 PM by utri007 »
ACube Sam 440ep Flex 800mhz, 1gb ram and 240gb hd and OS4.1FE
A1200 Micronic tower, OS3.9, Apollo 060 66mhz, xPert Merlin, Delfina Lite and Micronic Scandy, 500Gb hd, 66mb ram, DVD-burner and WLAN.
A1200 desktop, OS3.9, Blizzard 060 66mhz, 66mb ram, Ide Fix Express with 160Gb HD and WLAN
A500 OS2.1, GVP+HD8 with 4mb ram, 1mb chip ram and 4gb HD
Commodore CDTV KS3.1, 1mb chip, 4mb fast ram and IDE HD
 

Offline chris

Re: NetSurf 3.7 released!
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2017, 07:53:58 PM »
Quote from: utri007;832124
This message is repeated some 100x times and takes 72 second to move on?
(180.004997) frontends/amiga/font_diskfont.c:58 ami_font_bm_open: (using current font)
This one only few times
(122.027104) frontends/amiga/font_diskfont.c:102 ami_font_bm_open: font: helvetica.font/12

Starts (121.790181)
Ends (193.876583)

Same message starts again (201.677977) and ends (227.279296) users over 100 seconds to open same font when logging?


It's doing layout, that "opening same font" is just a message, when that appears that function isn't actually doing anything.

It could well be the logging slowing it down, I don't know how it works so it could be doing processing that it wasn't before.
"Miracles we do at once, the impossible takes a little longer" - AJS on Hyperion
Avatar picture is Tabitha by Eric W Schwartz
 

Offline utri007

Re: NetSurf 3.7 released!
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2017, 08:03:52 PM »
How about this :

(31.495984) frontends/amiga/gui.c:3733 amiga_window_invalidate_area: Ignoring duplicate or subset of queued box redraw

It ends (33.325507) starts again (88.770177) and ends (92.919132)

(43.001307) content/llcache.c:1499 llcache_process_metadata: metadata error on line 3 error code 18

Same error about 30 times
ACube Sam 440ep Flex 800mhz, 1gb ram and 240gb hd and OS4.1FE
A1200 Micronic tower, OS3.9, Apollo 060 66mhz, xPert Merlin, Delfina Lite and Micronic Scandy, 500Gb hd, 66mb ram, DVD-burner and WLAN.
A1200 desktop, OS3.9, Blizzard 060 66mhz, 66mb ram, Ide Fix Express with 160Gb HD and WLAN
A500 OS2.1, GVP+HD8 with 4mb ram, 1mb chip ram and 4gb HD
Commodore CDTV KS3.1, 1mb chip, 4mb fast ram and IDE HD
 

Offline Bennymee

Re: NetSurf 3.7 released!
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2017, 11:09:42 PM »
Quote from: chris;832097
NetSurf is a small, fast, CSS-capable web browser for multiple platforms including AmigaOS.

NetSurf 3.7 features performance improvements, improved page layout, and many fixes. Also new is a treeview search feature, which allows Hotlist (Bookmarks), History and Cookies to be searched. We recommend all users upgrade to NetSurf 3.7.

Official downloads (AmigaOS 4 version)
AmigaOS3 beta version

Thank you for the new version!

A few sites are more compatible then 3.6.
But two sites don't come past the 'accept cookies button' (Javascript)
Amiga 500, 1200, 4000, Amigaone, Morphos, CyberstormPPC, Blizzardppc, OS4.x
 

Offline chris

Re: NetSurf 3.7 released!
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2017, 11:55:22 PM »
Quote from: utri007;832132
How about this :

(31.495984) frontends/amiga/gui.c:3733 amiga_window_invalidate_area: Ignoring duplicate or subset of queued box redraw

It ends (33.325507) starts again (88.770177) and ends (92.919132)


That's to do with the redraw, it's doing layouting between those times, the actual redraw happens afterwards. The message means the area the core wants to redraw is already going to be redrawn, so it is being ignored to avoid unnecessary processing/flickering (when it gets to the point of actually redrawing).

Quote
(43.001307) content/llcache.c:1499 llcache_process_metadata: metadata error on line 3 error code 18

Same error about 30 times


Something to do with the disk cache, delete the cache directory and it should clear this.
"Miracles we do at once, the impossible takes a little longer" - AJS on Hyperion
Avatar picture is Tabitha by Eric W Schwartz
 

Offline chris

Re: NetSurf 3.7 released!
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2017, 11:58:47 PM »
Quote from: Bennymee;832145
Thank you for the new version!

A few sites are more compatible then 3.6.
But two sites don't come past the 'accept cookies button' (Javascript)


Javascript buttons still don't work. Something to do with event code bindings, don't have a clue what is missing here because most of the event code stuff seems to be in place!

Note that the lack of a dynamic layout engine means the message probably wouldn't disappear even if the buttons worked. The layout engine is the main reason for missing Javascript functionality.
"Miracles we do at once, the impossible takes a little longer" - AJS on Hyperion
Avatar picture is Tabitha by Eric W Schwartz
 

Offline madgrizzle

Re: NetSurf 3.7 released!
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2017, 01:01:36 AM »
I have lha version 2.12 and it gives me an error when I try to decompress the file "*** Error on file 'AutoInstall' : Unknown compression (need newer LHA version)".   I see a version 2.15, but the changelog didn't say anything about adding a new compression type. What version of LHA is needed to decompress the archive?
Only Amiga *woo-woo* Makes It Possible
Only Amiga   ... Makes.. It .. Happen!
Amiga 2000, 2MB Chip RAM, OS3.9, GVP Combo 030/22 13 MB, Supra 4MB
Amiga 3000, 16 MB RAM, OS3.9, A3640 v3.2 with 060 Processor, Picasso II, A2065, PCD-50B
Dead VA2000/CX :(
 

Offline utri007

Re: NetSurf 3.7 released!
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2017, 06:03:39 AM »
Quote from: madgrizzle;832152
I have lha version 2.12 and it gives me an error when I try to decompress the file "*** Error on file 'AutoInstall' : Unknown compression (need newer LHA version)".   I see a version 2.15, but the changelog didn't say anything about adding a new compression type. What version of LHA is needed to decompress the archive?


OS3.5/9 unarchiver should do the job. No need to use lha command.
ACube Sam 440ep Flex 800mhz, 1gb ram and 240gb hd and OS4.1FE
A1200 Micronic tower, OS3.9, Apollo 060 66mhz, xPert Merlin, Delfina Lite and Micronic Scandy, 500Gb hd, 66mb ram, DVD-burner and WLAN.
A1200 desktop, OS3.9, Blizzard 060 66mhz, 66mb ram, Ide Fix Express with 160Gb HD and WLAN
A500 OS2.1, GVP+HD8 with 4mb ram, 1mb chip ram and 4gb HD
Commodore CDTV KS3.1, 1mb chip, 4mb fast ram and IDE HD