Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Amiga Kit Amiga Store Iridium Banner AMIStore App Store A600 Memory

AuthorTopic: mATX form factor A500  (Read 1181 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline B00tDisk

  • VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Join Date: Dec 2002
  • Posts: 1670
  • Total likes: 0
    • http://www.thedelversdungeon.com
Re: mATX form factor A500
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2017, 09:18:48 PM »
On the one hand, this thing is so cool I can't even.  I have lost my ability to even.  This is exactly what I'd want if I was getting back into Amiga hardware, not just for the baseline model but for the expandability and the ability to put it into a proper mini tower or even desktop case.

On the other, I mean... <25 made?  Ha, yeah, that's depressing as hell.

Well it's neat to look at pictures of, I guess.
Back away from the EU-SSR!
 

Offline Chucky

Re: mATX form factor A500
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2017, 10:09:34 PM »
Well  you cannot produce hundreds in the beginning either..

when I did my A3640 rework.. I also did only 20 as it would be too expensive to do more if they did not work..

when I had soldered some working boards knowing quality was ok.. then I released all data.. not before..


so I guess it is aprox the same here..  when enough boards is booting (hopefully I will get my components to solder one next week..  MAYBE can bring to Amiga32!)   they will do more..

you know.  make sure it works, tidy up documentation and THEN release.. (open or not)
 

Offline B00tDisk

  • VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Join Date: Dec 2002
  • Posts: 1670
  • Total likes: 0
    • http://www.thedelversdungeon.com
Re: mATX form factor A500
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2017, 10:21:08 PM »
Quote from: Chucky;831863
Well  you cannot produce hundreds in the beginning either..

when I did my A3640 rework.. I also did only 20 as it would be too expensive to do more if they did not work..

when I had soldered some working boards knowing quality was ok.. then I released all data.. not before..


so I guess it is aprox the same here..  when enough boards is booting (hopefully I will get my components to solder one next week..  MAYBE can bring to Amiga32!)   they will do more..

you know.  make sure it works, tidy up documentation and THEN release.. (open or not)


Ahh, that's comforting to know.  I could give less of a hoot about making it "open" than "a board I could buy and hobby my own Amiga together with".
Back away from the EU-SSR!
 

Offline amiadudeorwat

Re: mATX form factor A500
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2017, 12:36:03 PM »
Quote from: Oldsmobile_Mike;831822
The irony would be if some of these products were in fact produced, but that the batch was so small - or the users so exclusive (as was mentioned in a separate thread, about all the collectors who don't have a presence in online forums) - wouldn't it be funny if there is a secret group of users of the Shark PPC, for example?  :laughing:

There are a group of users using the Shark PPC, over at EAB-it's no secret.
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=76633
 

Offline Iggy

Re: mATX form factor A500
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2017, 02:30:12 PM »
Quote from: amiadudeorwat;831900
There are a group of users using the Shark PPC, over at EAB-it's no secret.
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=76633


Not quite, but damned close.
What we need are new cards of a similar design.
1 GHz would be easy with the G4 chips that are still available.

Legacy hardware with PPCs about as powerful (or more so if you count the standard fpu) as Tabor anyone?
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"
 

Offline kreciu

Re: mATX form factor A500
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2017, 05:11:51 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;831902
Not quite, but damned close.
What we need are new cards of a similar design.
1 GHz would be easy with the G4 chips that are still available.

Legacy hardware with PPCs about as powerful (or more so if you count the standard fpu) as Tabor anyone?

Exactly, but we got sound card from A-EON. When I think about it for a like 2 sec. question becomes like: WHY? WHY?

People are making amazing stuff, sure, so there is talent to do things. At the same time, why nobody can develop PPC board (like a Sonnet 7200) for hundreds of Mediator/Grex Amiga users... that would actually play mp3 files quite well.

It is funny Phase 5 resurfaced(?) and I hear about Blizzard PPC II. This people were making G3 card for old Macs? I can't imagine how well my old Amiga would run with G3/500Mhz... or G4!

https://everymac.com/upgrade_cards/phase5/
A1200inE/BOX/3.1.4/AmigaOS3.9+BB1,2,3,4/060/66Mhz+603+/330Mhz/256Mb/FAST-ATA V /MediatorTX/R9200SE/SpiderUSB/LAN/SB128/16Gb-CF/DVD-ROM/ZIP-250/FDD-HD
PC/AmigaOS4.1/Xeon 1265Lv3  with Amiga Forever 2016!!!.
Dell T600/Win98SE/XP/256Mb/Radeon9600Pro/SBLive!/80Gb/DVD-ROM
Color Classic/System 7.1/030/16Mhz/FPU/10Mb/80Mb HDD
Performa 6400/System 8.6/PPC 603ev180Mhz+G3 350Mhz/Rage128Pro/136Mb/80GB HDD
IBM PC :)
 

Offline Iggy

Re: mATX form factor A500
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2017, 05:31:34 PM »
Quote from: kreciu;831905
Exactly, but we got sound card from A-EON. When I think about it for a like 2 sec. question becomes like: WHY? WHY?

People are making amazing stuff, sure, so there is talent to do things. At the same time, why nobody can develop PPC board (like a Sonnet 7200) for hundreds of Mediator/Grex Amiga users... that would actually play mp3 files quite well.

It is funny Phase 5 resurfaced(?) and I hear about Blizzard PPC II. This people were making G3 card for old Macs? I can't imagine how well my old Amiga would run with G3/500Mhz... or G4!

https://everymac.com/upgrade_cards/phase5/


Uh...yeah, I wouldn't put too much faith in those Phase 5 announcements, they look a bit...pathological.
But cloning the Sonnet 7200 doesn't look impossible.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"
 

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

Re: mATX form factor A500
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2017, 05:48:28 PM »
This guy's comment for the win. :laughing:
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos
 

Offline Iggy

Re: mATX form factor A500
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2017, 06:30:40 PM »
Quote from: Oldsmobile_Mike;831907
This guy's comment for the win. :laughing:


Sounds about right, at least in this community.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"
 

Offline B00tDisk

  • VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Join Date: Dec 2002
  • Posts: 1670
  • Total likes: 0
    • http://www.thedelversdungeon.com
Re: mATX form factor A500
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2017, 09:35:58 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;831908
Sounds about right, at least in this community.


Yup.
Back away from the EU-SSR!
 

Offline khayoz

Re: mATX form factor A500
« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2017, 11:43:23 PM »
Quote from: Oldsmobile_Mike;831714
I love all the "I don't do Facebook" Facebook haters on this forum, I really do.  But look at this -- wtf is this?  An mATX form factor A500 motherboard?  Of course something we'd never hear about if we relied on this forum being our only source of news.  :(

It´s very real and reported in the latest issue of Amiga News, Trevor put some money into it too.

A couple of years ago I was one of the lucky ones(1/5) to buy the previous bigger prototype Amy/416D79 board, today I'm running it with a Vampire 500V2+.
Edit: Pic of Amy/416D79 Prototype http://djkhayos.com/amiga/Amy_Aorg.jpeg
Edit2: Pic with out Vampire http://djkhayos.com/amiga/Amy_Aorg2.jpeg

Looking forward to the new Amy/416D79-ITX board.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 12:31:40 AM by khayoz »
 

Offline SpaceMonkey

Re: mATX form factor A500
« Reply #41 on: December 29, 2017, 02:37:34 PM »
So any news on a bigger production run
 

Offline khayoz

Re: mATX form factor A500
« Reply #42 on: December 29, 2017, 09:19:15 PM »
Quote from: SpaceMonkey;834471
So any news on a bigger production run


Heard about an planned update to the http://www.amy-itx.com site in the near days,
let's wait and see.
 

Offline trekiej

Re: mATX form factor A500
« Reply #43 on: December 29, 2017, 11:09:53 PM »
I guess these have the micro ATX hole mounting.
Amiga 2000 Forever :)
Welcome to the Planar System.
 

Offline Acill

Re: mATX form factor A500
« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2017, 06:17:44 AM »
I've got one and am building it currently. I've posted about it here even. Currently about 25 only existing
Proud Retired Navy Chief!

A4000T - CSPPC - Mediator
Powerbook G4 15", 17"
Powermac G5 2GHZ
AmigaOne X5000
Need Amiga recap or other services in the US? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com and take a look or on facebook at http://facebook.com/acillclassics