Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Amiga Kit Amiga Store Iridium Banner AMIStore App Store A1200/A600 4xIDE Interface

AuthorTopic: 11 oscars = overrated  (Read 1907 times)

Offline mikeymike

Re: 11 oscars = overrated
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2004, 02:33:12 PM »
Oh joy.  PJ is doing "The Hobbit" now.

The pun was initially unintended, but I see it's quite apt :-)

Offline odin

• Colonization had Galleons
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2004, 02:35:22 PM »
I thought he was going to do a King Kong remake first :-?.

Offline that_punk_guy

« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2004, 02:36:52 PM »
mikeymike wrote:
Oh joy.  PJ is doing "The Hobbit" now.

Hmm, I have that as an audio book somewhere. I think I'll put it on my MP3 player and "read" it at work one day.

Offline mikeymike

« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2004, 03:58:16 PM »

odin wrote:
I thought he was going to do a King Kong remake first :-?.

Yup.

Offline angrybrit

« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2004, 08:52:39 PM »
Star Wars 1 & 2 were good films (not up to the first trilogy's standard though.)

Lord of the Ring. :-o  :elvis:  :-D

Offline Speelgoedmannetje

« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2004, 10:30:19 PM »
But what about really beautiful movies, like:
"Amelie Poulain"
"Rabbit proof fence"
"Billy Elliot"

or a more sinister movie, like:
"Raise the red lantern"
And the canary said: \'chirp\'

Offline Glaucus

« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2004, 04:04:03 AM »

Speelgoedmannetje wrote:
"Amelie Poulain"
"Rabbit proof fence"
"Billy Elliot"

"Raise the red lantern"
Or perhaps the one movie that clearly captured the finiest moment of movie making in our life time:

Dumb and Dumber

:-D

- Mike
YOU ARE NOT IMMUNE

Offline Glaucus

« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2004, 04:12:02 AM »
You mean you have to pay the film company twice to three times the normal amount you'd pay to go see a film.
Actually, DVDs are a great deal. There's many people these days who have excellent home theater setups at home and don't even bother watching movies in real theaters any more. If you look at it that way, what would it cost for a family of 4 to see a movie in the theater + ridiculously over priced popcorn & drink, as opposed to buying the extended DVD box set (and I mean the 4 disc set, the 5 disc set just has extra gimmicks, but the movie edit is the same). And if you consider the fact of multiple views with the DVD set, you simply can't go wrong! Not only that, if you find that the movie sucks you can always sell your collectors edition of the movie on e-bay and recoup most of your losses - something tough to do at a theater. Ripoff is hardly what I would call it (unless of course they release the DVD set only in FULLSCREEN (4x3) rather then anamorphic/letterbox WIDESCREEN (16x9) ;-) )

- Mike
YOU ARE NOT IMMUNE

Offline aardvark

« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2004, 10:51:39 AM »
Ripoff is hardly what I would call it (unless of course they release the DVD set only in FULLSCREEN (4x3) rather then anamorphic/letterbox WIDESCREEN (16x9)

That would be a ripoff :-)
I refuse to buy any movie that only comes in a fullscreen version. For example Moonlighting (with Cher) or The Secret of N.I.M.H. Sometimes Blockbuster (spit) only orders in DVDs in Fullscreen (Kangaroo Jack (not that great a movie, but it's the principle of the thing)) I don't mind movies that have both, usually on two-sided disc, but widescreen is the only way to go.
I finally returned the 7 day rental of the extended Towers version three days late! And I still never got to look much at disk 3 or listen to the audio commentaries.  It was enough to tide me over until I purchase the 5 disk version with the Gollum statue.  Just waiting until it drops way below the sale price of around CDN$88.00 available many places. I got the bookends version of Fellowship for about $60 and now it's back up to the List price of over $100 8-)

Offline Speelgoedmannetje

« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2004, 07:56:59 PM »

Glaucus wrote:

Speelgoedmannetje wrote:
"Amelie Poulain"
"Rabbit proof fence"
"Billy Elliot"

"Raise the red lantern"
Or perhaps the one movie that clearly captured the finiest moment of movie making in our life time:

Dumb and Dumber

:-D

- Mike
Hm, explain.
Actually, have you ever seen these movies I mentioned :-)?
And the canary said: \'chirp\'