Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Is Amiga NG underpowered?  (Read 1524 times)

Description:

Offline danbeaver

Re: Is Amiga NG underpowered?
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2015, 09:15:45 PM »
Quote from: ElPolloDiabl;788991
Is Amiga NG underpowered and that is why I don't want to buy one?
I hate to troll, but the new PowerPC systems are getting old or seriously old.
Any chance of us moving to an ARM platform?

What has been your experience with the Amiga NG computers?  The ARM chip based devices? Have you found specific OS4.1 programs that you believe would benefit from a more "powerful" ARM CPU?  Have you considered porting them to an ARM based device?

If you have not asked yourself these questions, then I think that would be the first step in any inquiry of this nature.

Offline apsturk

• Show only replies by apsturk
    • http://amigaonthelake.com
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2015, 01:03:57 AM »
I just love it when someone wants something different, in a small sub group of platforms than the crowd. But only if spending the same that the crowd does. eg. I want that rare baseball card but throw a fit if they can't buy it at the price of the common cards. Amiga NG is small and unique hardware at the moment, yes it costs more money. That is the price of admission. Just support it or don't, your choice. I for one don't want to here all the people so surprised by reality and how unfair it is. Go use your PC. I am staying here and spending money to support and push forward my platform. Just go use Linux and open source apps. Then you can have some cool stuff that you don't have to pay for. Something tells me that the "I am never satisfide talk" will take place there too. Better yet go build your own hardware, software and apps and then you will have everything that you want just the way you want it. Or will you?
AmigaOnTheLake.com
AmigaOne X1000 | OS4.1FE | Radeon R9 280X | 480Gb SSD | 4Gb | 27 ViewSonic VP2770|
Amiga 500 | CPU 68010| Megachip 2 meg | Kickstart 3.1 | GVP 500HD+8 ROM 4.15 8 meg fast ram | ECS Indevision | SCSI2SD 4gig | BetterWB 4.0 | CD - Zip drives and Plipbox.
Amiga 1200 | Indivision 1200 AGA MK2cr | CF 4gig | ACA 1233 55.55mhz | OS3.9 | FastATA 1200 MK-V | Rapid Road
2 MorphOS Paid for copies. Running on Mac Mini 1.5Ghz

Offline QuikSanz

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2015, 01:08:25 AM »
Quote from: ElPolloDiabl;788991
Is Amiga NG underpowered and that is why I don't want to buy one?
I hate to troll, but the new PowerPC systems are getting old or seriously old.
Any chance of us moving to an ARM platform?

Yes. That's why they are adding SMP/AMP support!

Offline danbeaver

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2015, 02:02:53 AM »
Quote from: apsturk;789018
I just love it when someone wants something different, in a small sub group of platforms than the crowd. But only if spending the same that the crowd does. eg. I want that rare baseball card but throw a fit if they can't buy it at the price of the common cards. Amiga NG is small and unique hardware at the moment, yes it costs more money. That is the price of admission. Just support it or don't, your choice. I for one don't want to here all the people so surprised by reality and how unfair it is. Go use your PC. I am staying here and spending money to support and push forward my platform. Just go use Linux and open source apps. Then you can have some cool stuff that you don't have to pay for. Something tells me that the "I am never satisfide talk" will take place there too. Better yet go build your own hardware, software and apps and then you will have everything that you want just the way you want it. Or will you?

Wow, I didn't even see those comments in the thread!  I guess I lack perception of such detail.  Well, may the Lord Bless you at hitting the nail on the head.

Offline Paulie85

• Show only replies by Paulie85
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2015, 02:08:04 AM »
Of course they are underpowered and overpriced by modern standards but by Amiga standards they are super-powered. It depends on what way you want to look at it. Either you have purchased a slow, expensive PC running an obsolete OS or you have a greatly enhanced (fast) Amiga environment with some modern touches. Both views are legitimate.

Offline ElPolloDiablTopic starter

• Show only replies by ElPolloDiabl
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2015, 02:30:59 AM »
Thanks to JIT emulation it doesn't matter what hardware you have on a Sam or X1 Amiga, a PC is going to have faster hardware. Probably an ARM computer as well.
Go Go Gadget Signature!

Offline QuikSanz

« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2015, 02:49:09 AM »
Quote from: ElPolloDiabl;789022
Thanks to JIT emulation it doesn't matter what hardware you have on a Sam or X1 Amiga, a PC is going to have faster hardware. Probably an ARM computer as well.

I'm not sure 1 core of arm will be very fast.

« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2015, 02:53:19 AM »
I only picked ARM because there a not any nice OS for it. I would much rather use Amiga OS on it.
Go Go Gadget Signature!

Offline QuikSanz

« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2015, 02:56:37 AM »
Quote from: ElPolloDiabl;789024
I only picked ARM because there a not any nice OS for it. I would much rather use Amiga OS on it.

May be able to get respectable speed from 3.1?

Offline kolla

« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2015, 02:59:54 AM »
Quote from: broadblues;788995
I wouldn't hold my breath, and if were started tomorrow, by the time you got it all fully working the worl would be using the LEG processor faimilly and we'd start this conversation again.

Perfect - this post alone is enough for me to decide never ever buy anythig OS4 related, or any new version of PPaint. Your work is obvously moot, all the porting to C was pointless. Thanks for the entertainmemt, cheers.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 03:02:24 AM by kolla »
B5D6A1D019D5D45BCC56F4782AC220D8B3E2A6CC
---
A3000/060CSPPC+CVPPC/128MB + 256MB BigRAM/Deneb USB
A4000/CS060/Mediator4000Di/Voodoo5/128MB
A1200/Blz1260/IndyAGA/192MB
A1200/Blz1260/64MB
A1200/Blz1230III/32MB
A1200/ACA1221
A600/V600v2/Subway USB
A600/Apollo630/32MB
A600/A6095
CD32/SX32/32MB/Plipbox
CD32/TF328
A500/V500v2
A500/MTec520
CDTV
MiSTer, MiST, FleaFPGAs and original Minimig
Peg1, SAM440 and Mac minis with MorphOS

Offline QuikSanz

« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2015, 03:07:50 AM »
Quote from: kolla;789026
Perfect - this post alone is enough for me to decide never ever buy anythig OS4 related, or any new version of PPaint. Your work is obvously moot, all the porting to C was pointless. Thanks for the entertainmemt, cheers.

New PPaint is also in 68k, but it's OK if you go.

Offline Lurch

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Lurch
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2015, 04:46:44 AM »
Price to power ratio is skewed towards price. There are some good advancements with Warp3D support etc but I rarely use my Pegasos II anymore, fun to power up now and then to see whats new but not a lot there to be my everyday PC.

Power wise it is lacking, but more importantly software is lacking. The newer hardware appears to be going in the right direction but still not quite there.

Aim for a reasonable mid priced Amiga, with some sort of Office i.e. Open Office, and some way to run PC games and applications via emulation for an example WineX.

This would bridge the gap for awhile as people port over more games, just look at Linux. Of course the way to open it up even further would be to Open source, but hey nobody wants to do that ;-)
-=[LurcH]=-
A500 Plus Black 030@40MHz 128MB | A1200T 060@80MHz 320MB | Pegasos II G4@1GHz 1GB  | Amiga Future Sub

Offline danbeaver

« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2015, 05:12:33 AM »
Quote from: kolla;789026

Thanks for reminding me to update my Ignore list!

Offline danbeaver

« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2015, 05:22:19 AM »
I am not sure why everything needs to center on "Power, number of cores, MIPS, and the need for speed?"  Is it the whole testosterone laden argument than "Mine is bigger, faster, longer, thicker, etc." than yours?  Why can't the world be "fast enough" for us? I remember hearing, "You can't always get what you want, But if you try sometimes, well you might find, you get what you need?"

Of course I heard, "Hey! You! Get off of my cloud" too...

« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2015, 05:39:16 AM »
@ Danbeaver
Power means nothing if the software is not written to take advantage of it.

Power Pc 604:
http://lowendmac.com/2014/cpus-powerpc-604-and-604e/
It is a respectable processor
« Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 06:13:27 AM by ElPolloDiabl »
Go Go Gadget Signature!

Offline Lurch

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Lurch
« Reply #29 from previous page: May 09, 2015, 05:44:18 AM »
Quote from: SamuraiCrow;788999
There's going to be a mandatory ROM lockout of non-approved (hobby) OSs on all new Windows 10 systems.  NG Amigas have no chance of becoming mainstream.   I'm going back to the classics using FPGA technology.  Classics have a better chance by sheer virtue of having more software.

I think you mean Secure boot, this is part of the UEFI which prevents low-level malware like rootkits from interfering with the boot process.

Secure boot has been around since Windows 8, so it's not a new thing that is just Windows 10.

However it's up to the manufacturer of the motherboard (these days the main board) if this will be locked down or if they will provide a toggle. In 99% of cases there is a toggle in the BIOS to disable Secure boot. Most likely this will be the same with new hardware coming through for the Windows 10 generation of devices.

The worse case scenario if the motherboard is locked would be whom ever is working on the AmigaOS to x86 port (well it should really be x64 as x86 is 32bit and PC's these days are x64) contacts the motherborad manufacturer and Microsoft to have the kernel-mode drivers signed and then the motherboard manufacturer adds it the motherboard Secure boot database saying hey I'm not a viruii, malware or rootkit and it's sorted.

This also could be a good thing for AmigaOS, pick one or two PC motherboards and use the UEFI/Secure boot to look the OS to those.

This would create a stable platform and people could concentrate on developing drivers for it making it easier for developers.

Hardware would be cheaper than PPC and you would still have the predictability of what hardware is expected. A lot like a gaming console.

Oh and to add Microsoft already support Ubuntu and Fedora with Secure boot so it wouldn't be a stretch for AmigaOS. The FUD people are spreading stating Microsoft are locking out other OS's is crazy. It is to stop viruii, malware or rootkits and again 99% of the time it can be disabled in the BIOS.

It's also up to the manufacturer of the motherboard in question if it is to be compulsory or what OS's are to be in the Secure boot database on the motherboard not Microsoft.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 05:49:03 AM by Lurch »
-=[LurcH]=-
A500 Plus Black 030@40MHz 128MB | A1200T 060@80MHz 320MB | Pegasos II G4@1GHz 1GB  | Amiga Future Sub