Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Layers.library V45 on the aminet  (Read 66950 times)

Description:

Offline modrobert

• Show only replies by modrobert
Re: Layers.library V45 on the aminet
« Reply #119 on: September 11, 2014, 04:38:20 PM »
I have another war story; some guy made a bet on IRC that he could host the Amiga Kickstart ROMs on a web server, free for anyone to download, and he did just that for a year without complications, until the domain hosting ran out.
A1200: 68020 @ 14 MHz (stock), 2MB Chip + 8MB Fast RAM, RTC, 3.1 ROMs, IDE-CF+4GB, WiFi WPA2/AES, AmigaOS 3.1, LCD 23" via composhite - Thanks fitzsteve & PorkLip!

guest11527

« Reply #120 on: September 11, 2014, 05:03:41 PM »
Quote from: modrobert;772784
I have another war story; some guy made a bet on IRC that he could host the Amiga Kickstart ROMs on a web server, free for anyone to download, and he did just that for a year without complications, until the domain hosting ran out.

Ok, here's an offer. Provided I compile a binary version of P96, will you host it and will you indemnify me from any legal claim? Written contract, signed, by both parties?

Offline modrobert

« Reply #121 on: September 11, 2014, 05:27:24 PM »
Quote from: Thomas Richter;772785
Ok, here's an offer. Provided I compile a binary version of P96, will you host it and will you indemnify me from any legal claim? Written contract, signed, by both parties?

I can host the file, but you can forget any contract, because it would be invalid to indemnify you in this case.

Besides, if you really wanted this file hosted somewhere, you could easily have done that without any legal risk by simply remaining anonymous and upload to any free file hosting service out there. This was just some lame attempt to prove a point, sorry, it failed.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 05:29:32 PM by modrobert »
A1200: 68020 @ 14 MHz (stock), 2MB Chip + 8MB Fast RAM, RTC, 3.1 ROMs, IDE-CF+4GB, WiFi WPA2/AES, AmigaOS 3.1, LCD 23" via composhite - Thanks fitzsteve & PorkLip!

guest11527

« Reply #122 on: September 11, 2014, 05:58:27 PM »
Quote from: modrobert;772786
This was just some lame attempt to prove a point, sorry, it failed.

Why, it worked quite well. If you don't want to take the risk, why should I?

Anyhow, I guess you understand the point.

Offline modrobert

« Reply #123 on: September 11, 2014, 06:19:28 PM »
Quote from: Thomas Richter;772790
Why, it worked quite well. If you don't want to take the risk, why should I?

Anyhow, I guess you understand the point.

If it was possible to indemnify against a lawsuit every corporation out there would hire some poor drug addict to take the legal responsibility for their actions, it doesn't work this way, fortunately.

EDIT:

Apparently it is possible indemnify against copyright lawsuits regarding software in some countries, my mistake. In a way this proves what a crappy racket the copyright legal system can be ethically, creating misery for any poor bastard who happened to sign a paper, probably a system created by lawyers to earn fees as well. Anyway, in this case it would be meaningless since copyright laws where my company resides in Thailand only applies to domestic software.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 06:58:02 PM by modrobert »

Offline Thorham

• Show only replies by Thorham
« Reply #124 on: September 11, 2014, 06:42:19 PM »
Quote from: stefcep2;772778
that has no practical or commercial value.
No practical value? Tell that to people who use A1200s with 68030s as their main machine. No practical value :lol:

Offline pawelek

• Show only replies by pawelek
« Reply #125 on: September 11, 2014, 08:09:16 PM »
Bug in layers?
With layers.library 45.19 when I quit (close) program AmiTradeCenter is suspended and an error #8000000x

with layers 40.1 is all OK.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 08:39:07 PM by pawelek »

Offline psxphill

« Reply #126 on: September 11, 2014, 08:45:42 PM »
Quote from: modrobert;772786
I can host the file, but you can forget any contract, because it would be invalid to indemnify you in this case.

Why would it be invalid? He purely asked you to provide indemnity insurance, which is "a thing".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indemnity

Quote from: modrobert;772791
If it was possible to indemnify against a lawsuit every corporation out there would hire some poor drug addict to take the legal responsibility for their actions, it doesn't work this way, fortunately.

You can indemnify against anything, if someone is willing to take the risk on you. But the insurance is only worth something if they would pay out.

Why would you rely on a poor drug addict to indemnify you knowing they couldn't? He wouldn't be able to pay up and you would still owe the money. It's much better to get insurance from a company that would pay out, usually they will check to make sure you're not doing anything stupidly illegal up front though.

You appear to not understand what you are talking about.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 08:54:46 PM by psxphill »

Offline modrobert

« Reply #127 on: September 11, 2014, 09:29:53 PM »
Quote from: psxphill;772800
Why would it be invalid? He purely asked you to provide indemnity insurance, which is "a thing".

As I already mentioned in the "EDIT:" part of the post which was written long before your post (check time).

He wouldn't be able to pay up and you would still owe the money.

So, Thomas Richter just have to trust that I'm good for the money then, hehe.

You can indemnify against anything, if someone is willing to take the risk on you.

Any kind of crime...really? No wonder the white collar criminals rarely get caught.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 01:03:55 AM by modrobert »

Offline stefcep2

• Show only replies by stefcep2
« Reply #128 on: September 12, 2014, 01:49:52 AM »
Quote from: Thomas Richter;772785

Hypothetically speaking what could the author claim?

The software is freely available is it not?  What money have they lost?

You didn't make any money from it either.

And you *improved* it.

If he's concerned that your version may introduce defects and his name being associated with it may sully his reputation then that's simple enough to fix in a read.me

Offline Gulliver

« Reply #129 on: September 12, 2014, 05:28:47 AM »
Quote from: stefcep2;772807
Hypothetically speaking what could the author claim?

He could claim out loud:_Heresy! You should have contacted me because you are disrespecting the work I no longer give a f*ck about_

And then you could be casted away from Amigaland for you unprofessional "coder" behaviour.

Oh, shame on you!

Offline Heiroglyph

• Show only replies by Heiroglyph
« Reply #130 on: September 12, 2014, 06:15:54 AM »
@Thomas:
I just want to say thanks for the update.  That video really drives home what an improvement it is. That's nothing short of amazing.

I may not agree with your point of view on other peoples abandoned software, but I can certainly respect your point of view.

I just wish every thread didn't degrade into this mess and hope your thick skin holds up, we need all the help we can get.

@Thread:
Could we possibly get the thread back on track of discussing the actual library, it's performance and bugs?

I'm guilty too (see Cosmos thread) but come on guys, he's devoting his time to helping us all out, show some respect and start a different thread to debate in.

Offline psxphill

« Reply #131 on: September 12, 2014, 09:44:06 AM »
Quote from: modrobert;772803
So, Thomas Richter just have to trust that I'm good for the money then, hehe.

He could sue you for breach of contract if you didn't pay out. If you own nothing and have no income then being sued is not a major problem.

Quote from: modrobert;772803
Any kind of crime...really? No wonder the white collar criminals rarely get caught.

You still misunderstand, it wouldn't stop you getting caught. It only covers your expenses if you were caught. Generally it's only going to cover civil law rather than criminal law (where you end up in prison).

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #132 on: September 12, 2014, 10:14:12 AM »
Quote from: psxphill;772829
He could sue you for breach of contract if you didn't pay out. If you own nothing and have no income then being sued is not a major problem.

You still misunderstand, it wouldn't stop you getting caught. It only covers your expenses if you were caught. Generally it's only going to cover civil law rather than criminal law (where you end up in prison).

As far as I know patches are legal as long as you do not distribute a modified version of the original. The aminet is full of those. I also do not really see the problem, people are not forced to use them and as Thomas said noone is developing on the platform anymore (except that he wants to make some bugfixes). From a technical point of view he is certainly right but it is basically a abandoned platform. I think both sides have shared their opinion and we should stop that topic here and return to the topic of the thread.

Offline HyAmi

• Show only replies by HyAmi
« Reply #133 on: September 12, 2014, 10:50:25 AM »
Quote from: Thomas Richter;772771
Yes, I'm currently trying with P96. Is that good enough?

Yes, definitely! I hope you succeed.
btw; my question wasn't meant to be skeptical.

Offline psxphill

« Reply #134 from previous page: September 12, 2014, 02:08:46 PM »
Quote from: OlafS3;772831
I also do not really see the problem, people are not forced to use them.

That is the problem, you're fracturing the user base.
 cosmos isn't just fixing bugs, he's changing fundamental behaviour as he sees fit. This will make software work differently. If someone does come along and starts writing applications for the amiga then it's going to be a nightmare to make sure it's compatible with all the different hacks.

Getting people on the same page was one of the reasons for OS3.5 & 3.9 in the first place.