Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Amiga Kit Amiga Store Iridium Banner AMIStore App Store A1200/A600 4xIDE Interface

AuthorTopic: The Perfect MorphOS Machine (Well Almost)  (Read 4744 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Motormouth

The Perfect MorphOS Machine (Well Almost)
« on: February 26, 2014, 05:41:40 AM »
I recently bought a powermac g5 off of ebay for MorphOS
Specifically a powermac7,3 A1047 (EMC 2061)
It has a 2.0 Ghz 970fx x2, 2 GB of memory, and a 250 GB HardDrive
The most important thing is listing said it had a 256 MB ATI video card.
Best of all these computers are relatively cheap and plentiful on ebay, (unlike Amigas)

Back to the video card
Since it was a g5 AGP card with 256 MB, I figured it was at least an ATI 9650 or higher, maybe a 9800XT, or even a X800XT.
Before firing up the computer, I opened the case.
Wow it is beautiful inside.  It looks like what I imaged a modern Amiga would look like.
I would have to say this is even nicer than an A3000D.
Looking the expansion slots I see this huge video card with a monster heat sink.
Jackpot, it looks like a high end video card!   But wait I see an Nvidia logo on the heat sink, darn.

Too bad MorphOS does not have drivers for these.  Well the video card ended up being an Nvidia 6800GT.
I wrote the seller and told him the problem.  He said the computer had an ATI 9800XT video card in it that died before shipping, so he threw a nicer 256 MB 6800 GT into it.  He didn’t think anyone would care.
Well to end the story he gave me a partial refund.  I picked up a cheap oem apple version ATI 9600 video card with 128 MB.   MorphOS is working nicely.
The question now is, what to do with the Mac Nvidia 6800GT?  It is much nicer than the ATI 9600.  Is there any chance of MorphOS drivers for Nvidia cards?  Should I just sell it?
 

Offline jj

  • Lifetime Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Join Date: Feb 2002
  • Posts: 4040
  • Country: wales
  • Total likes: 4
  • Gender: Male
Re: The Perfect MorphOS Machine (Well Almost)
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 07:26:49 AM »
I would not hold your breath for Nvidia drivers.   If you not got spare pc to put it in , I would sell/give it away.  IMHO
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2
 
Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"
 

Offline pVC

Re: The Perfect MorphOS Machine (Well Almost)
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 08:26:43 AM »
If it's worth of any money and you need that kind of sum, sell it. If there's a miracle and MorphOS gets Nvidia drivers some day, you probably get one of those for free at that time :)
Daily MorphOS user and Amiga active.
 

Offline Iggy

Re: The Perfect MorphOS Machine (Well Almost)
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 12:04:52 PM »
I don't think you will ever see MorphOs Nvidia drivers.
PM sent.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"
 

Offline nicholas

Re: The Perfect MorphOS Machine (Well Almost)
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2014, 12:53:58 PM »
It would be nice to see Deadwood's Gallium 3D system ported from AROS to MorphOS, but like Jim says it isn't very likely to happen.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini
 

Offline Rob

Re: The Perfect MorphOS Machine (Well Almost)
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2014, 01:33:23 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;759768
It would be nice to see Deadwood's Gallium 3D system ported from AROS to MorphOS, but like Jim says it isn't very likely to happen.


With work on the drivers for X1xx0 series cards under way it shouldn't matter much.  G5 + Radeon X1950 will be pretty awesome.  Look forward to seeing that when it happens.

Is there any word from the MorphOS team on what direction they're taking with regard to OpenGL?
 

Offline Iggy

Re: The Perfect MorphOS Machine (Well Almost)
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2014, 02:22:03 PM »
Quote from: Rob;759770
With work on the drivers for X1xx0 series cards under way it shouldn't matter much.  G5 + Radeon X1950 will be pretty awesome.  Look forward to seeing that when it happens.

Is there any word from the MorphOS team on what direction they're taking with regard to OpenGL?

Unless a future R500 driver works without openfirmware requirements, the best R500 card available for the G5 is the Apple X1900GT.
The X1950 only work with Mac Pros (X86 machines).

And any R500 driver release is likely to be several months from now.

An R400 driver is likely to be released first (possibly quite soon).

In informal tests, I have found the X800XT slightly outperforms the X1900GT.

And Apple X800XT cards can be found at cheap prices on occasion.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"
 

Offline rzookol

Re: The Perfect MorphOS Machine (Well Almost)
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2014, 07:55:26 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;759773
Unless a future R500 driver works without openfirmware requirements, the best R500 card available for the G5 is the Apple X1900GT.
The X1950 only work with Mac Pros (X86 machines).

And any R500 driver release is likely to be several months from now.

An R400 driver is likely to be released first (possibly quite soon).

In informal tests, I have found the X800XT slightly outperforms the X1900GT.

And Apple X800XT cards can be found at cheap prices on occasion.


My PowerMac G5 has X1950Xt 256 MB and it works perfectly (OF+MacosX)
 

Offline Iggy

Re: The Perfect MorphOS Machine (Well Almost)
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2014, 09:52:51 PM »
Quote from: rzookol;759791
My PowerMac G5 has X1950Xt 256 MB and it works perfectly (OF+MacosX)

No kidding?;)

So does mine.

Won't run MorphOS though.

Reread my post.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"
 

Offline Rob

Re: The Perfect MorphOS Machine (Well Almost)
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2014, 11:06:08 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;759773
Unless a future R500 driver works without openfirmware requirements, the best R500 card available for the G5 is the Apple X1900GT.
The X1950 only work with Mac Pros (X86 machines).

And any R500 driver release is likely to be several months from now.

An R400 driver is likely to be released first (possibly quite soon).

In informal tests, I have found the X800XT slightly outperforms the X1900GT.

And Apple X800XT cards can be found at cheap prices on occasion.


Will there be support for R400 cards or are they being skipped like with OS4.  I don't keep such a keen eye on what's going on with MorphOS so I was only aware of the R500 driver being in progress because of the demo of MorphOS on San460 at Pianeta.

I suppose later cards could be initialised from within the OS like with out 68k Amigas.
 

Offline Motormouth

Re: The Perfect MorphOS Machine (Well Almost)
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2014, 03:58:02 AM »
Quote from: JJ;759757
I would not hold your breath for Nvidia drivers.   If you not got spare pc to put it in , I would sell/give it away.  IMHO


The Mac version of the 6800 GT would have to be heavily modded to work in a PC.  First it is flashed for macs.  Second it is AGP Pro x8 1.5v, not many PC motherboards implement AGP Pro.  Finally the mac version uses the the special ADC edge connector as an Auxiliary power source, instead of a 4 pin molex, or 6 and 8 pin collectors used today.  The mac 6800 GT would have to be modified to work with a different auxiliary power source.  

I am not going to say that this is impossible, it probably is not worth it in 2014.
 

Offline Motormouth

Re: The Perfect MorphOS Machine (Well Almost)
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2014, 04:05:23 AM »
@Iggy

I noticed in your message footer, 'Purchased a 2.0 GHz G5 PowerMac for now (and I have 2.3 PCI-E G5 PowerMac for future revisions of MorphOS)."

Do you think there are plans to support powermac11,2  (ie PCI-E G5 powermacs) under morphos in the near future?
 

Offline Iggy

Re: The Perfect MorphOS Machine (Well Almost)
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2014, 11:13:21 AM »
Quote from: Motormouth;759810
The Mac version of the 6800 GT would have to be heavily modded to work in a PC.  First it is flashed for macs.  Second it is AGP Pro x8 1.5v, not many PC motherboards implement AGP Pro.  Finally the mac version uses the the special ADC edge connector as an Auxiliary power source, instead of a 4 pin molex, or 6 and 8 pin collectors used today.  The mac 6800 GT would have to be modified to work with a different auxiliary power source.  

I am not going to say that this is impossible, it probably is not worth it in 2014.


Motormouth is dead right. the 6800 can't be modified for a PC, except for the few PCs that have an AGP Pro slot.


Rob, yes the R400 will hopefully receive support in version 3.6.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"
 

Offline Iggy

Re: The Perfect MorphOS Machine (Well Almost)
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2014, 11:14:20 AM »
Quote from: Motormouth;759811
@Iggy

I noticed in your message footer, 'Purchased a 2.0 GHz G5 PowerMac for now (and I have 2.3 PCI-E G5 PowerMac for future revisions of MorphOS)."

Do you think there are plans to support powermac11,2  (ie PCI-E G5 powermacs) under morphos in the near future?

Correction. I am not allowed to speculate.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 01:02:58 PM by Iggy »
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"
 

Offline jj

  • Lifetime Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Join Date: Feb 2002
  • Posts: 4040
  • Country: wales
  • Total likes: 4
  • Gender: Male
Re: The Perfect MorphOS Machine (Well Almost)
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2014, 12:33:36 PM »
Quote from: Motormouth;759810
The Mac version of the 6800 GT would have to be heavily modded to work in a PC. First it is flashed for macs. Second it is AGP Pro x8 1.5v, not many PC motherboards implement AGP Pro. Finally the mac version uses the the special ADC edge connector as an Auxiliary power source, instead of a 4 pin molex, or 6 and 8 pin collectors used today. The mac 6800 GT would have to be modified to work with a different auxiliary power source.
 
I am not going to say that this is impossible, it probably is not worth it in 2014.

My bad forgot about the differences between caards.  Flashing can be hit and miss and pain in the arse in itself.  Sell it on ebay :)
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2
 
Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"