Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AmigaONE X2000  (Read 8924 times)

Description:

Offline yssing

• Show only replies by yssing
    • http://www.yssing.org
Re: AmigaONE X2000
« Reply #59 from previous page: July 09, 2013, 12:42:20 PM »
There is no hint at "x86 port" And I highly doubt there will be.

@TMHG I highly doubt that there is no sense of direction for amiga os4.x and hardware development.
E.g. remember that press release stating that they are going to support a new PowerISA?

Offline yssing

• Show only replies by yssing
    • http://www.yssing.org
« Reply #60 on: July 09, 2013, 12:44:09 PM »
And btw there are a stream of AOS4.x updates, but you would have to have a running AOS4.x system to notice that though.

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #61 on: July 09, 2013, 08:27:22 PM »
Quote from: OlafS3;740333
And seriously MorphOS-Team has a masterplan?

Well, I don't know if it's a masterplan (only time will tell, however their idea with building a wide support for mainstream PPC Mac HW was indeed genious), but at least they communicated a plan with a short-term, mid-term and long-term perspective two years ago (link 1), including a roadmap (link 2) describing specific features planned for "next release" and for the following releases. This was in 2011, by now you can tick many things off from that check list. :)

There once was some specific features outlined for OS4.2 as well, given OS4's somewhat odd version system ("OS4.1 update 6"/OS4.1.6) bumping that "1" digit to a "2" will be a major version upgrade which is supposed to be reflected by the features, and true SMP is one of the features that has actually been communicated as being part of OS4.2 on numerous occasions.

And now we hear from the 'development lead': "I have no idea what OS4.2 will contain, when Hyperion say 'it's time for a release' we will release what we think is ready then".

Things changed...

Seriously all OS development right now is "hobby" noone can live of it.

You don't have to tell me that, I'm not the one putting up a false facade of a full working company steaming ahead, building an industry, a commercial future for the platform. I know none of that is true. OS4 had their own situation with unpaid developers (who claim ownership of their code), and some of the people who back in 2004 was sitting on the fence pointing fingers at the "morphos.net" incident, are now active in maintaining the OS4 charade. The little work done is of course purely at a hobby basis (just like AROS and MorphOS), besides Aeon/Acube sponsored driver development.

Quote from: OlafS3;740334
AMorphOS [...] stucks in PPC the same way as AmigaOS and there is no chance (if you believe the Devs) that this will change in the next years.

Well, the above mentioned plan had a long term perspective that included an ISA change and the development of "NG" features like 64-bit, etc. If you believe the Dev making that presentation, the situation was actually: "yes indeed, within a few years, we will change the architecture".

Back then when this was discussed, I read somewhere that initial steps had been taken already. That was in 2011, so two of those "a few years" has already passed!

I think it's a fair "guesstimate" that a "X2000" machine won't be here until 2 years from now (Trevor said himself 12-18 months, and he has been shown to be a bit over-optimistic when he made release predictions of his "X1000"). So when (if) the "X2000" is released, 4 years will have passed since that MorphOS plan was presented. Who knows, maybe 4 years is the "few years" needed?

It depends on their ambitions I'd say, a pure ISA migration of what we have today (nothing of the fancy NG stuff) in a clean slate cut from the legacy could probably be done in a few weeks. But implementing SMP, 64-bit, etc would take some development.

(But now we are drifting off topic, let's get back to "OS4" and the "X2000" )

:)
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline ElPolloDiabl

• Show only replies by ElPolloDiabl
« Reply #62 on: July 10, 2013, 05:33:10 AM »
Next time you need to post a news article about overpriced, (sought of) underpowered hardware. You need to make two separate posts. One for all the people who are interested and one for all the people who loathe it.

Nobody here is going change their mind whether they hate it or like it. But hopefully the criticism will be heard by the developers and they may steer a different course.
Go Go Gadget Signature!

Offline ElPolloDiabl

• Show only replies by ElPolloDiabl
« Reply #63 on: July 10, 2013, 05:53:50 AM »
P.S.
Try and buy the name: Amiga 5020
That would be a lot cooler than Amiga One x
Go Go Gadget Signature!

Offline Fats

• Show only replies by Fats
« Reply #64 on: July 10, 2013, 10:21:05 AM »
Quote from: ElPolloDiabl;740445
Nobody here is going change their mind whether they hate it or like it. But hopefully the criticism will be heard by the developers and they may steer a different course.

Thing is that the X1000s that could be made were sold out before production. Maybe some people should realise there may be room for such a niche product no matter how much negative junk they post in forum threads.
Trust me...                                              I know what I\'m doing

Offline KimmoK

• Show only replies by KimmoK
« Reply #65 on: July 10, 2013, 10:57:45 AM »
pricing etc:
I bet x2000 (2Ghz 2core) is the a-eon idea of a mid range product, cheaper than x1000. Then they can produce the board also wíth four core chip (x4000 as trevor said), for high end and make it more pricey...
- KimmoK
// Windows will never catch us now.
// The multicolor AmigaFUTURE IS NOW !! :crazy:

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #66 on: July 10, 2013, 11:10:38 AM »
Quote from: KimmoK;740463
pricing etc:
I bet x2000 (2Ghz 2core) is the a-eon idea of a mid range product, cheaper than x1000. Then they can produce the board also wíth four core chip (x4000 as trevor said), for high end and make it more pricey...

more pricey? :confused:

Offline SysAdmin

• News posting Auto Agent
    • Show only replies by SysAdmin
    • http://www.a-eon.com
« Reply #67 on: July 11, 2013, 11:31:42 AM »
*Bump*
Posts on this account before August 4th, 2012 don\'t belong to me.

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #68 on: July 11, 2013, 02:28:28 PM »
Quote from: SysAdmin;740545
*Bump*
*Meaningless attempt to generate forum traffic*
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #69 on: July 11, 2013, 03:54:57 PM »
Quote from: ElPolloDiabl;740446
P.S.
Try and buy the name: Amiga 5020
That would be a lot cooler than Amiga One x

They can't, Hyperion is only allow to use the name "AmigaOne" or "Amiga One". Not "Amiga".

Quote from: KimmoK;740463
and make it more pricey...

:eek:

Yeah, uhm, that seems very smart, definitely something to strive for!

:laugh1:
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline eliyahu

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by eliyahu
« Reply #70 on: July 11, 2013, 04:03:33 PM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;740561
Yeah, uhm, that seems very smart, definitely something to strive for!

then i'm sure you'll be pleased to know that trevor indicated at VCF that the new system should be both more powerful and less costly than the X1000.

and for those who enjoy poking the users of next-generation amigas running AOS4, please knock it off. it's juvenile and pointless point scoring that takes us back the 'bad old days' of places like ann.lu. knock it off. this is your only warning. any more of this will result in posting restrictions.

-- eliyahu
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here."

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #71 on: July 11, 2013, 06:46:13 PM »
Price really isn't that important in niche computing, really if you can get AmigaOne's price/performance ratios down to 2 or 3 times Apple ratios you should be happy.  In the commercial world they have millions of computers to spread the cost of development over, here you have hundreds.  

Trevor has done a remarkable job delivering what he promised at the price he promised.  He deserves a well done and good luck from all of us.  I look forward to hearing about his X2000 when it becomes available.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline carvedeyeTopic starter

• Show only replies by carvedeye
« Reply #72 on: July 11, 2013, 08:50:03 PM »
Quote from: persia;740576
Price really isn't that important in niche computing, really if you can get AmigaOne's price/performance ratios down to 2 or 3 times Apple ratios you should be happy.  In the commercial world they have millions of computers to spread the cost of development over, here you have hundreds.  

Trevor has done a remarkable job delivering what he promised at the price he promised.  He deserves a well done and good luck from all of us.  I look forward to hearing about his X2000 when it becomes available.

Well said, well done Trevor.
A1200T: M1230XA 50Mhz 68030 w/64mb,DVDRom, 80gb hdd, Realtek LAN Card, Mediator LT4 + Radeon 9250 128mb(used for fast ram), Spider USB Card, Voodoo 3 3000 OS 3.9 +bb 1-3