Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Amiga Kit Amiga Store Iridium Banner AMIStore App Store A1200/A600 4xIDE Interface

AuthorTopic: Adelaide Commodore & Amiga User Group GTG  (Read 2286 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline djos

Adelaide Commodore & Amiga User Group GTG
« on: April 15, 2013, 07:43:25 AM »
Hi All, planning to have another "Adelaide Commodore & Amiga User Group" GTG on Friday the May 3rd @ 6pm.

Same deal as last time, meet after work at 6pm at the China Town Entrance on Grote Street (below) and then go have Dinner and Drinks at one of the local restaurants.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/f2/Adelaide_Chinatown.jpg/798px-Adelaide_Chinatown.jpg

If anyone wants my mobile number in case they are running late or cant find us please PM me and i'll give it to you.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 04:09:46 PM by SysAdmin »
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Amiga 1200 w/ ACA1220 16Mhz 128MB w/ RTC, 4GB CF-HDD, Roland MT-32 MIDI Synthesiser
Amiga 500 w/ KS2.05, 1Mb Chip-Ram, CF-IDE w/4MB Fast-Ram, FDD Boot Selector, HxC RevC Floppy emulator
Commodore 64 w/ 1541 Ultimate-II inc Tape Adapter, JiffyDOS, 1541 Disk Drive, 1531 Datasette, Flyer Net Modem
 

Offline djos

Re: Adelaide Commodore & Amiga User Group GTG
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 02:30:16 AM »
Looks like we'll need to find a new date, too many of us cant make it including myself (that'll teach to to organise something without clearing it with SWMBO 1st). ;p
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Amiga 1200 w/ ACA1220 16Mhz 128MB w/ RTC, 4GB CF-HDD, Roland MT-32 MIDI Synthesiser
Amiga 500 w/ KS2.05, 1Mb Chip-Ram, CF-IDE w/4MB Fast-Ram, FDD Boot Selector, HxC RevC Floppy emulator
Commodore 64 w/ 1541 Ultimate-II inc Tape Adapter, JiffyDOS, 1541 Disk Drive, 1531 Datasette, Flyer Net Modem
 

Offline MelbourneBen

Re: Adelaide Commodore & Amiga User Group GTG
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 01:09:35 PM »
Looking forward to it Derek, let me know when the date is confirmed.
Member of the Adelaide Commodore & Amiga user group

C= A1200 1D4 4MB Fast Ram FPU, 3.1 roms, 4GB CF HD, PCMCIA NIC, C= 1084s.
 

Offline djos

Re: Adelaide Commodore & Amiga User Group GTG
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 01:13:40 PM »
I reckon May 3rd will be the go, does that work for you?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Amiga 1200 w/ ACA1220 16Mhz 128MB w/ RTC, 4GB CF-HDD, Roland MT-32 MIDI Synthesiser
Amiga 500 w/ KS2.05, 1Mb Chip-Ram, CF-IDE w/4MB Fast-Ram, FDD Boot Selector, HxC RevC Floppy emulator
Commodore 64 w/ 1541 Ultimate-II inc Tape Adapter, JiffyDOS, 1541 Disk Drive, 1531 Datasette, Flyer Net Modem
 

Offline djos

Re: Adelaide Commodore & Amiga User Group GTG
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2013, 01:03:36 AM »
Hi all, we've been able to settle on Friday May 3rd @ 6pm.  :cool:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Amiga 1200 w/ ACA1220 16Mhz 128MB w/ RTC, 4GB CF-HDD, Roland MT-32 MIDI Synthesiser
Amiga 500 w/ KS2.05, 1Mb Chip-Ram, CF-IDE w/4MB Fast-Ram, FDD Boot Selector, HxC RevC Floppy emulator
Commodore 64 w/ 1541 Ultimate-II inc Tape Adapter, JiffyDOS, 1541 Disk Drive, 1531 Datasette, Flyer Net Modem
 

Offline SysAdmin

  • News posting Auto Agent
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Join Date: Aug 2009
  • Posts: 1393
  • Total likes: 0
    • http://www.a-eon.com
Re: Adelaide Commodore & Amiga User Group GTG
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2013, 04:11:22 PM »
I updated the image to be a link instead of an IMG because it was screwing up the formatting of the site.
Posts on this account before August 4th, 2012 don\'t belong to me.
 

Offline djos

Re: Adelaide Commodore & Amiga User Group GTG
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2013, 11:12:28 PM »
Ok np.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Amiga 1200 w/ ACA1220 16Mhz 128MB w/ RTC, 4GB CF-HDD, Roland MT-32 MIDI Synthesiser
Amiga 500 w/ KS2.05, 1Mb Chip-Ram, CF-IDE w/4MB Fast-Ram, FDD Boot Selector, HxC RevC Floppy emulator
Commodore 64 w/ 1541 Ultimate-II inc Tape Adapter, JiffyDOS, 1541 Disk Drive, 1531 Datasette, Flyer Net Modem
 

Offline MelbourneBen

Re: Adelaide Commodore & Amiga User Group GTG
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2013, 02:43:57 AM »
Works for me :-)
Member of the Adelaide Commodore & Amiga user group

C= A1200 1D4 4MB Fast Ram FPU, 3.1 roms, 4GB CF HD, PCMCIA NIC, C= 1084s.
 

Offline Haranguer

Re: Adelaide Commodore & Amiga User Group GTG
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2013, 04:52:05 AM »
I'll be there.

I hope it's going to be more than the three of us ;-)
 

Offline djos

Re: Adelaide Commodore & Amiga User Group GTG
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2013, 06:10:29 AM »
At least 4 ppl so far. :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Amiga 1200 w/ ACA1220 16Mhz 128MB w/ RTC, 4GB CF-HDD, Roland MT-32 MIDI Synthesiser
Amiga 500 w/ KS2.05, 1Mb Chip-Ram, CF-IDE w/4MB Fast-Ram, FDD Boot Selector, HxC RevC Floppy emulator
Commodore 64 w/ 1541 Ultimate-II inc Tape Adapter, JiffyDOS, 1541 Disk Drive, 1531 Datasette, Flyer Net Modem
 

Offline djos

Re: Adelaide Commodore & Amiga User Group GTG
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2013, 07:52:04 AM »
Btw Adelaide folks, It'd be really great if we could have a proper monthly or bi-monthly GTG in a fairly centrally located council meeting room or similar that we could all drag our Commies & Miggies along to and have a proper play and share session.

Does anyone know an affordable and central location we could use to do this at?

I figure if it cost us $5 each for entry (room hire?) and then we all chipped in for Pizza or whatever that would equal a brilliant GTG! :cool:

thoughts?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Amiga 1200 w/ ACA1220 16Mhz 128MB w/ RTC, 4GB CF-HDD, Roland MT-32 MIDI Synthesiser
Amiga 500 w/ KS2.05, 1Mb Chip-Ram, CF-IDE w/4MB Fast-Ram, FDD Boot Selector, HxC RevC Floppy emulator
Commodore 64 w/ 1541 Ultimate-II inc Tape Adapter, JiffyDOS, 1541 Disk Drive, 1531 Datasette, Flyer Net Modem
 

Offline Epsilon_

  • Crazy about Amigas
  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Join Date: Jun 2012
  • Posts: 166
  • Country: 00
  • Total likes: 2
    • http://amigax1000.blogspot.com.au
Re: Adelaide Commodore & Amiga User Group GTG
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2013, 02:30:21 PM »
Quote from: djos;732482
Btw Adelaide folks, It'd be really great if we could have a proper monthly or bi-monthly GTG in a fairly centrally located council meeting room or similar that we could all drag our Commies & Miggies along to and have a proper play and share session.
 
Does anyone know an affordable and central location we could use to do this at?
 
I figure if it cost us $5 each for entry (room hire?) and then we all chipped in for Pizza or whatever that would equal a brilliant GTG! :cool:
 
thoughts?

Hi Derek,
 
Sorry I didn't respond sooner but I am a maybe for this Friday - I have work commitments on Friday until 6pm but may be able to come slightly late if it finishes on time. If you can PM your mobile details I can let you know and find out where you are having dinner.
 
A quick Google turned up the Adelaide council run Box Factory community centre in the city (59 regent st south). Looks pretty cheap, although we would need to check out if it is suitable for computers first (power, tables, etc)! They also have two other sites (one in the city and one in North Adelaide). They also offer data projector hire too which could be very useful for demonstrations to avoid everyone crowding around one computer....
 
More info here:
 
http://www.adelaidecitycouncil.com/community/community-centres/box-factory-community-centre/#
 
The room charge rates are below - at $32 per session (up to 4 hours) in the regent Room (plus $15 public liability insurance fee for group bookings - not sure if we have to pay this), it is not too expensive. There are cheaper options too ($22) for something smaller in the same building:
 
http://www.adelaidecitycouncil.com/community/community-centres/box-factory-community-centre/hire1/
 
We would probably need internet access through the coordination of the internet offered in the community centre with some extra switches in the room for connections between computers for sharing files, etc. Not sure if there is a fee for using their internet service (I am guessing there is), but we could find out easily enough. At the base level to keep costs low initially (ie. without internet) we can just bring USB flash drives for file sharing!
 
Remember of course that assuming everyone arrives on time it takes 30 minutes to setup our equipment in the room and a similar time 30-40 minutes to pack up and clean up prior to leaving. This leaves around 2.5 hours of Commodore and Amiga playing time. The less stuff we have to setup/tear down, the more time we get to muck around.
 
Realistically looking at the time needed to coordinate people's availability with families and so on - I am guessing monthly or every two months is the best bet, with commitment to a minimum number of people going (and commit to paying) to attend two weeks or so prior to book and pay for the room each time. We need to advertise GTG's across more than just Amiga.org also if we want to attract all Amiga interested Adelaideans to go. Amigaworld.net, amigans.net, etc.
 
My concern is getting enough people going every month (not just the first few meetings) to cover the ongoing room hiring costs. If we can't get the minimum people needed to fund the cost of booking the room in a particular month, then we could just organise a lunch time catch up somewhere central instead of a room for that month.
 
IMO No one should have to pay out extra money out of their own pocket (on top of the agreed required per meeting payment) to book the room every month or so (if there is not enough people going). It is a bottomless pit that ends badly. Another option might be to sell initial group memberships to the core group planning to go every time to fund the costs of hiring the room for the first 12 months, commit to hiring the room monthly or every two months and see how things go with potentially extra people coming over time (and with regular meetings scheduled this is more likely) to allow us to do more things in the future?
 
As you suggest, I would love the GTG to be somewhere we can bring our Amigas to have some fun doing Amiga stuff as a group for a few hours! On a Saturday or Sunday afternoon would be ideal and probably easier for most people to make some time for it. I do miss that kind of group interaction and hope it can happen! So I made some suggestions of a central venue, but of course you may find better options - I didn't spend a lot of time on it!
 
Over to you and the other Adelaideans - is there enough interest in this kind of GTG?
 
Catcha,
Epsilon
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 03:09:56 PM by Epsilon_ »

Please check out my various blogs:
Amiga:  AmigaX1000.blogspot.com.au
Trains: InterestingTrains.blogspot.com.au

Instagram: Epsilon's Instagram
[/SIZE]
 

Offline djos

Re: Adelaide Commodore & Amiga User Group GTG
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2013, 01:48:42 AM »
Quote from: Epsilon_;733254
Hi Derek,
 
Sorry I didn't respond sooner but I am a maybe for this Friday - I have work commitments on Friday until 6pm but may be able to come slightly late if it finishes on time. If you can PM your mobile details I can let you know and find out where you are having dinner.

Cool, will do. :)
 
Quote from: Epsilon_;733254
A quick Google turned up the Adelaide council run Box Factory community centre in the city (59 regent st south). Looks pretty cheap, although we would need to check out if it is suitable for computers first (power, tables, etc)! They also have two other sites (one in the city and one in North Adelaide). They also offer data projector hire too which could be very useful for demonstrations to avoid everyone crowding around one computer....
 
More info here:
 
http://www.adelaidecitycouncil.com/community/community-centres/box-factory-community-centre/#
 
The room charge rates are below - at $32 per session (up to 4 hours) in the regent Room (plus $15 public liability insurance fee for group bookings - not sure if we have to pay this), it is not too expensive. There are cheaper options too ($22) for something smaller in the same building:
 
http://www.adelaidecitycouncil.com/community/community-centres/box-factory-community-centre/hire1/
 
We would probably need internet access through the coordination of the internet offered in the community centre with some extra switches in the room for connections between computers for sharing files, etc. Not sure if there is a fee for using their internet service (I am guessing there is), but we could find out easily enough. At the base level to keep costs low initially (ie. without internet) we can just bring USB flash drives for file sharing!
 
Remember of course that assuming everyone arrives on time it takes 30 minutes to setup our equipment in the room and a similar time 30-40 minutes to pack up and clean up prior to leaving. This leaves around 2.5 hours of Commodore and Amiga playing time. The less stuff we have to setup/tear down, the more time we get to muck around.
 
Realistically looking at the time needed to coordinate people's availability with families and so on - I am guessing monthly or every two months is the best bet, with commitment to a minimum number of people going (and commit to paying) to attend two weeks or so prior to book and pay for the room each time. We need to advertise GTG's across more than just Amiga.org also if we want to attract all Amiga interested Adelaideans to go. Amigaworld.net, amigans.net, etc.

Hmm, looks really good but considering our busy family/work lives etc etc I was thinking our BYO Amiga meets might be better held on a saturday evening and the Box factory seems to be a week day only deal? (it's also only open till 9pm) I agree that bi-monthly would prolly be the minimum gap for proper meet's too as It's hard enuf to find a good day/time as it is. :p

what do others think?

I have advertised this GTG on AmiBay, EAB and Lemon64/Amiga as well as here but Amiga.org does seem to have become the default discussion place for Adelaide folks.

Btw, considering we all have 3G/4G phones with wifi hot-spot functions im not sure getting net access with the room would be a necessity?

Quote from: Epsilon_;733254
My concern is getting enough people going every month (not just the first few meetings) to cover the ongoing room hiring costs. If we can't get the minimum people needed to fund the cost of booking the room in a particular month, then we could just organise a lunch time catch up somewhere central instead of a room for that month.
 
IMO No one should have to pay out extra money out of their own pocket (on top of the agreed required per meeting payment) to book the room every month or so (if there is not enough people going). It is a bottomless pit that ends badly. Another option might be to sell initial group memberships to the core group planning to go every time to fund the costs of hiring the room for the first 12 months, commit to hiring the room monthly or every two months and see how things go with potentially extra people coming over time (and with regular meetings scheduled this is more likely) to allow us to do more things in the future?
 
As you suggest, I would love the GTG to be somewhere we can bring our Amigas to have some fun doing Amiga stuff as a group for a few hours! On a Saturday or Sunday afternoon would be ideal and probably easier for most people to make some time for it. I do miss that kind of group interaction and hope it can happen! So I made some suggestions of a central venue, but of course you may find better options - I didn't spend a lot of time on it!
 
Over to you and the other Adelaideans - is there enough interest in this kind of GTG?
 
Catcha,
Epsilon

Agreed, im certainly not in a position to fund these GTG's but would be fine with say $10 + Take away food costs. :)

Btw, I have offspring #2 due in 4 weeks so I'd like someone to take over the mantle of lead GTG organiser for at least few months after this meet as im likely to be even more sleep deprived than I am now. :p Any volunteers?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 02:17:39 AM by djos »
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Amiga 1200 w/ ACA1220 16Mhz 128MB w/ RTC, 4GB CF-HDD, Roland MT-32 MIDI Synthesiser
Amiga 500 w/ KS2.05, 1Mb Chip-Ram, CF-IDE w/4MB Fast-Ram, FDD Boot Selector, HxC RevC Floppy emulator
Commodore 64 w/ 1541 Ultimate-II inc Tape Adapter, JiffyDOS, 1541 Disk Drive, 1531 Datasette, Flyer Net Modem
 

Offline djos

Re: Adelaide Commodore & Amiga User Group GTG
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2013, 01:25:46 AM »
GTG is tonight folks, details in the first post. :)

So far we have about 5 confirms, I'll wear my a500 t-shirt again and wait by the china town entrance. :)

if you want my mobile, please PM me. :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Amiga 1200 w/ ACA1220 16Mhz 128MB w/ RTC, 4GB CF-HDD, Roland MT-32 MIDI Synthesiser
Amiga 500 w/ KS2.05, 1Mb Chip-Ram, CF-IDE w/4MB Fast-Ram, FDD Boot Selector, HxC RevC Floppy emulator
Commodore 64 w/ 1541 Ultimate-II inc Tape Adapter, JiffyDOS, 1541 Disk Drive, 1531 Datasette, Flyer Net Modem
 

Offline Epsilon_

  • Crazy about Amigas
  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Join Date: Jun 2012
  • Posts: 166
  • Country: 00
  • Total likes: 2
    • http://amigax1000.blogspot.com.au
Re: Adelaide Commodore & Amiga User Group GTG
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2013, 03:30:33 AM »
Hi Djos,
 
Sorry mate but work's building is having planned power outage this evening. I have to stay back well after 6pm to make sure the IT infrastructure is ok. :-(
 
So, unfortunately I won't be able to come this evening. :-( Sorry!
 
Catcha,
Epsilon

Please check out my various blogs:
Amiga:  AmigaX1000.blogspot.com.au
Trains: InterestingTrains.blogspot.com.au

Instagram: Epsilon's Instagram
[/SIZE]