Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AmiQuake 2 - new 68k Quake 2 Port  (Read 26886 times)

Description:

Offline NovaCoderTopic starter

Re: AmiQuake 2 - new 68k Quake 2 Port
« Reply #74 on: April 02, 2013, 11:49:19 PM »
Hiya Matt,

Yep just got back from hols, back to nasty old work tomorrow :(

Nope, no RTG support currently.   A few people have asked about it and although it would be easy enough to add there really isn't much point.  It won't make hardly any difference to speed as all it would be doing is skipping the C2P (which doesn't take much processing time at 320x240).

If you have an RTG card then you can just use Hyperion's port instead.

I just noticed that AmiQuake 2 runs out of hunk memory when trying to load up level 4 with 64MB, I've fixed it up so I'll upload v1.03 at some point.

v1.02 on YouTube

I think the only way that I might be able to increase speed further is if I can get some 060 scan-line rendering assembler linked in.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 12:00:33 AM by NovaCoder »
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #75 on: April 03, 2013, 01:00:07 AM »
Quote from: NovaCoder;731036
Nope, no RTG support currently.   A few people have asked about it and although it would be easy enough to add there really isn't much point.  It won't make hardly any difference to speed as all it would be doing is skipping the C2P (which doesn't take much processing time at 320x240).

Not all RTG systems are the same. I can push around 15-18MiB/s on mine using move16 with an 040 @25MHz. That's significantly faster than AGA copy speed, for example.

If you have an RTG card then you can just use Hyperion's port instead.

Don't confuse RTG with hardware 3D, which AFAIK is required for said version.

There are probably quite a few people with fast RTG/68K systems that don't have native AGA displays hooked up.
int p; // A

Offline AmigaClassicRule

• Show only replies by AmigaClassicRule
« Reply #76 on: April 03, 2013, 03:28:56 AM »
Quote from: paul1981;731024
Are you softkicking a kickstart different to the one in your rom chips? If not then you don't need RemAPollo. I haven't played around with RemAPollo much as I haven't really needed it, but I'm guessing the prepareemul move 4k command is conflicting with your relocated kickstart. I use the command in the MMUlib distribution which seems to work for me:

http://aminet.net/package/util/libs/MMULib

Then again, how that will play with RemAPollo I have no idea. Question is do you need to use RemAPollo?

I'll need to soon as I'd like to build a custom kickstart. :cool:

BTW, it's not FBlit or FText causing your Shapeshifter problem, as I run these and loads of other patches and my Shapeshifter works fine.

Isn't the RemApollo needed period to fully optimize the Apollo 1260? Because when I was not using RemApollo it was not optimized fully and even the game full throttle was not runninng at full optimization.

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show only replies by fishy_fiz
« Reply #77 on: April 03, 2013, 06:02:24 AM »
RemApollo simply lets a person softkick. It offers no optimisations by itself. However having kickstart in fast ram will noticably speed up some things. In terms of overall performance though it offers nothing over other options to run kickstart from fast ram.

In regards to Gigamem, I actually use it for a few bits and pieces and it works nicely. I dont use a dedicated partition, but rather a swap file.

@Karlos

Hyperion's 68k Quake2 does indeed have a software rendering mode. Quite fast too. I get a lttle over 300fps with my amithlon box in low res. (although its too fast that way so I bump resolution up to 1280x1024).
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 06:11:20 AM by fishy_fiz »
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

« Reply #78 on: April 05, 2013, 01:01:34 AM »
Only thing left for me to do with this port to increase speed futher is to try and replace some of the C funtions with hand-written 060 targeted assembler.

If any talented assembler guys would like to help, I've created a developement thread over on AmigaCoding

If I can get some good peformance increases, this will also improve the speed of my Quake port because they share the same drawing functions.
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

Offline AmigaClassicRule

« Reply #79 on: April 05, 2013, 02:09:14 AM »
I checked and RemApollo DOES INDEED MAKE A HUGE DIFFERENCE in my Amiga performance. All I do is type RemApollo QUIET in my startup sequence and my Amiga 1200 zooms like a rocket instead of a bicycle. So yes I do need it.  Also even if I did for some reason disable it, PreEmulA1200 does not work. It reboots, the screen becomes red, the power led flashes couple of times, reboot back with software failure and my Shapeshifter fails to load asking for PreEmulA1200 all over again. So the only coolest emulator in my A1200 cannot run is the Mac emulator :(

« Reply #80 on: April 05, 2013, 02:18:49 AM »
Quote from: AmigaClassicRule;731308
I checked and RemApollo DOES INDEED MAKE A HUGE DIFFERENCE in my Amiga performance. All I do is type RemApollo QUIET in my startup sequence and my Amiga 1200 zooms like a rocket instead of a bicycle. So yes I do need it.  Also even if I did for some reason disable it, PreEmulA1200 does not work. It reboots, the screen becomes red, the power led flashes couple of times, reboot back with software failure and my Shapeshifter fails to load asking for PreEmulA1200 all over again. So the only coolest emulator in my A1200 cannot run is the Mac emulator :(

Yep it made a big speed difference for me to, I've also mentioned it in the AmiQuake 2 readme.
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

Offline ChaosLord

• Show only replies by ChaosLord
    • http://totalchaoseng.dbv.pl/news.php
« Reply #81 on: April 05, 2013, 02:23:56 AM »
RemApollo has always been in my Startup-Sequence.  I was never silly enuff to remove it. :hat:
Wanna try a wonderfull strategy game with lots of handdrawn anims,
Magic Spells and Monsters, Incredible playability and lastability,
English speech, etc. Total Chaos AGA

Offline AmigaClassicRule

« Reply #82 on: April 05, 2013, 02:47:13 AM »
Quote from: ChaosLord;731312
RemApollo has always been in my Startup-Sequence.  I was never silly enuff to remove it. :hat:

yes but how do you go about running shapeshifter then? Anyone with a soluton? ChaosLord I send you a PM requesting CD preparation for totalchaos. I send you detail about it...thanks.

Offline PanterHZ

• Show only replies by PanterHZ
    • http://www.rhz1.com
« Reply #83 on: April 05, 2013, 03:05:34 AM »
Quote from: AmigaClassicRule;731317
yes but how do you go about running shapeshifter then? Anyone with a soluton? ChaosLord I send you a PM requesting CD preparation for totalchaos. I send you detail about it...thanks.

I do belive RemApollo has an option for fixing this, something like: RemApollo Mac QUIET

Offline paul1981

« Reply #84 on: April 05, 2013, 12:22:56 PM »
Quote from: AmigaClassicRule;731308

RemAPollo in your case is simply remapping the kickstart into fast ram. There's nothing wrong with that and yes it gives a speed boost, but what I was trying to say is that RemAPollo isn't actually required unless you're booting a different kickstart than the one in your ROM chips (3.1 probably). For instance, the Apollo cpu command (that came on the apollo install disk) called cpu60 can also do this. So can the standard cpu command provided with Workbench.
If you go to a shell and type "cpu60 b" then this will turn on all the goodies of your 060 and also move your ROM to RAM.

Is it possible you could copy and paste your Startup-sequence onto here so we can see it? Then we might be able to help you with the red screen problem.

Offline utri007

« Reply #85 on: April 05, 2013, 12:35:39 PM »
PreEmulA1200 just woun't work with Remapollo, use REMAPOLLO MAC QUIET instead. MAC switch does same trick.
ACube Sam 440ep Flex 800mhz, 1gb ram and 240gb hd and OS4.1FE
A1200 Micronic tower, OS3.9, Apollo 060 66mhz, xPert Merlin, Delfina Lite and Micronic Scandy, 500Gb hd, 66mb ram, DVD-burner and WLAN.
A1200 desktop, OS3.9, Blizzard 060 66mhz, 66mb ram, Ide Fix Express with 160Gb HD and WLAN
A500 OS2.1, GVP+HD8 with 4mb ram, 1mb chip ram and 4gb HD
Commodore CDTV KS3.1, 1mb chip, 4mb fast ram and IDE HD

« Reply #86 on: April 14, 2013, 08:30:06 AM »
Finally getting some good speed out of this sucker :blink:

video of v1.06

Seems much nicer to play now too :)
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

Offline cunnpole

• Show only replies by cunnpole
« Reply #87 on: April 14, 2013, 10:39:01 AM »
Quote from: NovaCoder;731976
Seems much nicer to play now too

Blimey that's faster than it plays on my 233Mhz Cyrix, even with its voodoo2.

Offline Speelgoedmannetje

• Show only replies by Speelgoedmannetje
« Reply #88 on: April 14, 2013, 12:56:40 PM »
Quote from: NovaCoder;731976
Finally getting some good speed out of this sucker :blink:

video of v1.06

Seems much nicer to play now too :)

And the canary said: \'chirp\'

Offline ByteRyder

• Show only replies by ByteRyder
« Reply #89 from previous page: April 14, 2013, 02:49:08 PM »
Awesome. This is getting better everyday! :)

@nova I'm wondering would it be possible to use some of the techniques you're using to make AmiQuake 2 faster on AmiQuake and make that a little faster aswell?