Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Could you PC loving Aholes go home?  (Read 4152 times)

Description:

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
Re: Could you PC loving Aholes go home?
« Reply #29 from previous page: November 20, 2012, 08:55:38 PM »
Quote from: vidarh;715898
Scalable fonts. There's just no reason to subject your eyes to low resolution any more.
I like lower resolutions, myself.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline kedawa

• Show only replies by kedawa
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2012, 11:22:20 PM »
The resolution-changing wizardry of the Amiga would be completely lost on modern fixed-pixel displays.

Offline Speelgoedmannetje

• Show only replies by Speelgoedmannetje
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2012, 05:21:14 PM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;715743
Wayland has some good ideas at the core, and yes, XWindows is ripe for replacement. Problem is, as far as I've read it sounds like they're betting everything on GPU acceleration, which is only good if you have working GPU acceleration. In Linux, that depends largely on what exact core of whose basic architecture your GPU uses, and the open-source driver projects for even the big names in video cards are pretty scattershot in their support.

Wayland claims that'll be taken care of by a software fallback layer. Ideally that would mean no worse performance than a non-compositing window manager, which would be pretty fine. Unfortunately, what they're planning to do is run the compositing window manager through the Mesa software renderer. Which, if you've ever used it for anything more complex than a spinning-teapot demo, is a sluggish agony. So if your laptop has an unsupported chipset, the question will be whether or not the pain of maintaining and using X is worse than the pain of using Wayland on a software emulation of hardware acceleration.
See it this way: for Workbench to run at all, you need an Amiga, for Linux you need certain well-supported hardware and their proprietary drivers to run nicely. Basically, the Apple way.
And the canary said: \'chirp\'

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2012, 06:19:50 PM »
Quote from: Speelgoedmannetje;715990
See it this way: for Workbench to run at all, you need an Amiga, for Linux you need certain well-supported hardware and their proprietary drivers to run nicely. Basically, the Apple way.
That's true enough, though it would help if advocates didn't like to keep repeating lines about how Linux runs on anything and makes sweet wizardly love to your old hardware. Well, not if your old hardware isn't within a certain specific subset of all available hardware, it doesn't...
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline Thorham

• Show only replies by Thorham
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2012, 06:21:01 PM »
Quote from: vidarh;715898
Maybe on Windows, but these days on my Linux laptop, switching between apps is instantaneous, even with a relatively anaemic integrated Intel GPU.

You don't even need a GPU for this, a Pentium 1 could do it.

« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2012, 08:02:44 PM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;715992
That's true enough, though it would help if advocates didn't like to keep repeating lines about how Linux runs on anything and makes sweet wizardly love to your old hardware. Well, not if your old hardware isn't within a certain specific subset of all available hardware, it doesn't...
I wholly agree.
Then again it's free. Though a system test or "linux compatible badge" would be nice for inexperienced users.

« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2012, 08:59:00 PM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;715903
I like lower resolutions, myself.

You might wanna try Wadjet Eye games
Absolute top quality low res atmospheric adventures :)